I'm coming up on the end of a teaching stint I've had a high school...

I'm coming up on the end of a teaching stint I've had a high school. The kids really like me and I was thinking of giving them a list of music to check out for once I was gone.

Is this too autistic an idea and is the list attached good for high school?

I mean. The list seems alright for highschool. What was your relationship with the kids like? What did you teach?

This is a bad idea, it will come across as super weird, because it is. And no those albums are not accessible at all for some one who isn't already at least somewhat into music

Make it more accessible for the average teenager. Especially when trap is the most popular genre, no one will want to listen to J Dilla or Clouddead.

Although for every 10 students who throwaway the list, I'm sure one will be thankful and discover some new music they really enjoy. I wish my teachers talked more casually with me, would have made highschool enjoyable. Do it op.

Music classes. Keeping it vague on purpose.
We'd always have back and forths and since I was young and a internet hermit like them I understood references and shit.
how about 3 normie picks (Kid A, Revolver, Heroes) for every one autist pick (Loveless)

the approach I'm going for is more for "the one student" than the group, yeah.

yeah do it

desu i think it's weird. why should they care about your taste of music?

Because I'm teaching them?

it's pretty autistic desu unless you and your students have been sharing things with each other already.

nice numerals but are you even teaching them music?

that does not mean they have to care about your taste.

I really doubt your kids will appreciate confield. Include more normalfag entry level garbage like aphex twin.

i had a high school teacher that played CDs she liked in class, just do that

my 6th form english teacher gave everyone a book when we left school and that went down pretty well, I'd say go for it

we've had listening lessons before (all classical music)
well yeah lol, said that earlier.
the implication is that I should teach music though, yeah?
ahhh ok! that's cool

general opinion seems to be that maybe I could do it but have more total entry normie stuff on it, yeah?

I guess like on one hand, sure it's a bit presumptuous. but on the other hand, we've done listening lessons and stuff in the past and since I won't see any of these kids ever again most likely, I kinda want to leave them with something that might enrich them afterwards.

like in high school listening to Kid A really expanded my perspective of music, because I thought all rock music was trash garbage that never pushed at boundaries.

I'd try to include at least a couple younger artists as well. No teenager wants to listen to the same stuff that was released when their parents were teens.

yeah I mean I was thinking of including Kendrick for instance. I guess the "obviousness" of it is kinda overriden by the fact that there will be kids who haven't listened to it

>No teenager wants to listen to the same stuff that was released when their parents were teens
That's not true, there were some Zeppelin, Floyd etc. dadrockers in my high school. I think as the teacher OP can do pretty much whatever he wants and it'll be cool.

I would definitely use Transient Random Noise Bursts though instead of Dots and Loops

>I would definitely use Transient Random Noise Bursts though instead of Dots and Loops
Actually yeah, you're probably super right about that!

Just play TMR for them

Try

Death Grips – The Money Store
Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp a Butterfly
Kanye West – Yeezus
Frank Ocean – Blonde
Brockhampton – s/t 2
Jay-Z – 4:44
Alvvays – Antisocialites

lol

You shouldn't use advanced material as an introduction.

If you want to introduce someone to classical use stuff like Bach or Dvorak as a starter. Bach influences dominated 20th century pop which makes him very approachable, and Dvoraks "hits" sound like film scores, also approachable.

For jazz try some easy big band, like Kenton's Cuban Fire or something along those lines. Or Quincy Jones (or have them listen to a couple of cuts from Cuban Fire then Michael Jacksons Thriller to show them how big band seeps into pop culture).

The specific albums/artists are just suggestions. Main point, give them the easy to approach stuff and let them build from there.

Apply that up and down the list. If you want to introduce them to more complex material tie it in with something. Listen to this track by Smashing Pumpkins, then this track by My Bloody Valentine. See the similarities? And differences? Don't just toss someone in the deep end with Stravinski, Coltrane, Velvet Underground and Kraftwerk before giving them an ability to contextualize it.

He's trying to improve the kids tastes, not make them a common plebian.

Well if I were doing this as a curricular unit, I agree with you that it needs to 100% be introduction. But IDK man, this is just an end of the semester "seeya, also btw this stuff."

I definitely agree the original list should be more normie'd now.

Good idea, like others said make it slightly more accessible. That being said, you should definitely put Trout Mask Replica on there, since it's probably the most important piece of music in the past 50 years.

how about for the Rock section:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Can - Future Days

or maybe the last pick could be Radiohead - Kid A?

if you want them to remember you as "that weird guy" it's a good idea

Go with Kid A over Future Days.

Aight, and I might replace Van Morrison with something more accessible too. Brian Eno AGW might be a good pick.

I really like this idea OP! That said, I'd recommend actually adding something that most of the students have already heard and probably like, so they see that you aren't just handing them a list of albums they've never heard of, but instead that you like something that they do so they're more likely to check out the other stuff.

hmmm maybe in addition to Kendrick and Radiohead I could add soundtracks on there. again we're talking band geeks they definitely play videogames.

All you need to do is give them this. It’s accessible while also being experimental, it allows for memes (huge way of promoting things now), and is relevant (Selena Gomez interpolated the bassline of Psycho Killer, Once in a Lifetime is used in the trailer for some movie).

Other albums you could suggest would be
T. Rex – Electric Warrior
Bruce Springsteen – The River
Kate Bush – Hounds of Love
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead
Big Star – #1 Record
Jeff Buckley – Grace
and a Bowie album (probably Ziggy Stardust, maybe Hunky Dory).

For newer albums, and I know this is a meme, but Merriweather Post Pavilion is has a good mix of accessibility and experimentation. ‘80s are in right now though, with Stranger Things and all this fucking gated reverb

Prince
I forgot. 1999 or Purple Rain
Maybe Peter Gabriel – So too.

>David Bowie - Lodger
>Joy Division - Closer
>Talking Heads - Naked
>Slint - Tweez
>A Flock of Seagulls S/T
>John Coltrane - Ascension
>Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
the kids are now patrician

One last thing is that you can’t force them to listen to it and then continue along. Most of them won’t. A lot of kids have too much going to look up music and get into it. Don’t get bummed out if they don’t check it out.

I didn’t include jazz or classical because you do need more of an understanding of what’s going on in the music to get into it. They’d probably come back to you to figure out how to get into them more. Good luck

my idea was to give it to them and say "this isn't an assignment, some of you may just throw it away after you leave school today; that's fine. but I'd like you to listen to one song from at least one of these albums. if you do that, I'll be happy."

Yeah, that’s a good way to do it. I’d list a song or two for each

Personally, I’d do
RiL: Born Under Punches or Once in a Lifetime
EW: Mambo Sun or Monolith
River: Jackson Cage or Point Blank
HoL: Running Up That Hill or Watching You Without Me
TQID: Frankly, Mr. Shankly or Bigmouth Strikes Again
#1R: Thirteen or My Life Is Right
Grace: So Real or Lover, You Should’ve Come Over
Ziggy: Starman or Ziggy Stardust
MPP: My Girls or Bluish
1999: Little Red Corvette or Let’s Pretend We’re Married
Purple Rain: Let’s Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, or Purple Rain
So: Sledgehammer or In Your Eyes

Obviously entry-level, but kids are entry-level humans. You would prefer not to have teenagers deal with their parents’ deaths until they’re far older because they aren’t mature enough; same thing goes for music