Dsd - Dungeon Synth December

No dsd thread? Let's change that. Super spooky edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

unvyer.bandcamp.com/album/winged-lizards-cave
glacialchambers.bandcamp.com/album/frozen-solitude
angusthebard.bandcamp.com/releases
open.spotify.com/user/hollender/playlist/4aRzldlGqM9aKHcyrzei7H
youtube.com/watch?v=v4aJIJa0XDI
youtube.com/watch?v=eKguSG6XAG8
youtube.com/watch?v=lHrhnqySyCM
youtube.com/watch?v=2b_PTlcA5ss
youtube.com/watch?v=MEbW2GaEQQs
youtube.com/watch?v=TznewxvlNP8
youtube.com/watch?v=2QWr0fzhKm0
youtube.com/watch?v=seFL61UVxhs
aurawire.bandcamp.com/album/once-through-an-ancient-archway
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

one of the spookiest ds album arts of the year. The music itself is qquite good as well.

Just kicked Solomon Rinn out of the True Dungeon Synth group for being a faggot. If you're here, Solomon, you are a total bender.

Who is that and what travesty did he commit? I'm not in the true ds group

He was claiming that the currently suggested 'Christmas Dungeon Synth' album was a great idea, and started getting aggro when people reminded him a) where he was and b) that the idea runs completely against the whole feel of DS.

There's a similar argument going on in the main ds fb group. Personally, I'm pretty indifferent. But I don't think modern ds needs to fit exactly into the mould that Mortiis and Burzum made either. Maybe a Christmas comp would be kinda silly, but hell, even Christmas black metal has been done.

Solomon is p chill for such a youngster. He’s right on this matter. Is this John posting? If so literally kys vermintard. You’re a sad, bald man

Is this Christopher? If so you are a much-reviled faggot.

Well this thread imploded in under ten posts! Possibly a new record.

You wish John. Don’t you have your duties as a mall cop or whatever to attend to? I don’t know how you manage to find time to shitpost between your busy schedule of losing hair and not making music

unvyer.bandcamp.com/album/winged-lizards-cave

This just came out the other day. Only just began listening, but it's pretty great so far.

So explain dungeon synth to me.

It’s a genre built around a bunch of nerds arguing on Facebook. There’s some music involved I think

John why do you hate me.

Because he’s a bitter manchild whose sad no one is still listening to an album he made like a year ago

well yeah, thats what it seems to have turned to recently.

Basically a genre created from prison-era Burzum releases and early Mortiis releases. Synthesized string and brass instruments along with timpani are heavily used. Dungeon synth usually aims to create a fantasy based, sometimes nostalgic atmosphere.

glacialchambers.bandcamp.com/album/frozen-solitude

I got blocked for supporting ~post~ dungeon synth albums

The trve group is retardation incarnate

2017 Dungeon Synth AOTY coming through

angusthebard.bandcamp.com/releases

the greatest power a man can have is owning this tape and participating in witchposting threads

Does everyone here listen to black metal, or have these threads actually managed to lure in "tourists"?

I assume since dungeon synth is very close to black metal in aesthetics and atmosphere.

I listen to bm but I’ve met many ds fans who don’t

This is very true. I witchpost whenever possible

Oh thangorodrim. What an annoying dude. Far too smug

He’s at least more coherent than ultima ratio, Jesus

as someone who listens to a lot of the newer bandcamp artists, but doesn't participate in the FB group, can someone else give some examples of why these people that you're shitting on are annoying? i enjoy thangorodrim and verminaard's music

They’re just incredibly arrogant and closed-minded. Just misguided elitists who aren’t even that good desu

Question: is Dungeon Synth a "bonafide" scene in certain parts of the western world?

I mean, are there like underground scenes of DS artists and, I don't know, concerts and what not? Ot is it something generally passed around on the internet?

It’s a scene in Omaha and I think maybe Minneapolis but that’s it as far as I know

it's hard to have a scene without live shows where people from said scene can gather. and live dungeon synth shows are pretty much unheard of as far as i know.

Well these are a bit conflicting

What I meant by scene, to clear confusion:

A movement (doesn't matter if small, medium sized or big) of people making music with the same ethos behind and exchanging ideas (via internet or in IRL) and whose members also gathers from time to time in music-oriented events (be it concerts in bars – though that sounds a bit far-fetched in this case –or simple social reunions and what not).

>whose members also gathers from time to time in music-oriented events
so basically this is the only part you're asking about, because everything else in your definition of scene is obviously true.

idk if people meet up irl. i certainly don't. and i probably wouldn't want to given the opportunity desu

I see. Thanks mate.

I'm telling you bitches that they do live DS in Omaha

I have this playlist on Spotify for those who are interested:
open.spotify.com/user/hollender/playlist/4aRzldlGqM9aKHcyrzei7H

will gladly take recs on what to add too, although I'm sadly aware that most of the best DS is not even available on Spotify. I also have another playlist with all my local files ofc

I meet up with my boys IRL, that's how we made Pumpkin Witch

huh

I concur

I don't really like BM, believe it or not. Nevertheless, I find DS to be a good genre with a surprisingly helpful and welcoming community.

I'm still LMAOing at the guy in the last thread who was unaware it was a cover album

>John
>London
>helpful
>welcoming

Look, I've never listened to Weezer before so I had no idea it was a bunch of covers.

Damn that looks very interesting. There's no chance in hell people have these in Argentina though. Oh well.

Biillllyyyy!

Weezer is the best and I find it hilarious that you're defending yourself on an anonymous website. No one would know you were here ITT but now we do
Yeah that's Blood Tower and Effluvium there, plus I hear Roman Master plays with them sometimes

Well it's pretty easy to ignore those folks.

If I don't defend myself then who shall? If they are so good then what should I start with if I ever decide to listen to them

yeah I'm just being difficult but yes I'd agree it's a good community

here's track 1 from the blue album which is track 1 on that Weezing Dragon album too
youtube.com/watch?v=v4aJIJa0XDI

It's not a DS thread without Weezer.

I like the Weezing Dragon version a lot more. This sounds like pop punk and I don't like that. Thank you for showing me though.

now back to your regularly scheduled dungeon synth

Where can I find this? Google only gives me discogs.

To the writers/composers who I'm sure browse these threads,

I've been working on my first project lately, and I often have trouble extending my ideas beyond the three-minute mark. What do you do when making longer tracks? At what point does repetitiveness overwhelm the overall quality of the music?

honestly great question. bump for this

Pic related is probably the best DS record ever made, argue otherwise if you will but I think you'll fail

youtube.com/watch?v=eKguSG6XAG8

Also, what do you people think of Witches' Moon? Every record I've heard so far was maddeningly beautiful

youtube.com/watch?v=lHrhnqySyCM
youtube.com/watch?v=2b_PTlcA5ss
youtube.com/watch?v=MEbW2GaEQQs
youtube.com/watch?v=TznewxvlNP8
youtube.com/watch?v=2QWr0fzhKm0

Listened to TOYW last night and I loved it.

It's got somewhat of a scene in denver

If you're making minimalist music you don't have to worry about changing chords notes to often. If it starts to get a bit boring maybe add a counter melody on a different instrument. Just gradually adding different types of instrumentation can keep people's interest. If you think the main instrument or synth sound is going on too long take it out and let one of the other instruments naturally come in to the foreground. A track with no percussion could be lifted up when percussion comes in significantly later in the track. This is just some ideas maybe

Who’s there?

You wanna download it? Hahaha fuk u lil nigga

I released a tape last year and two of the criticisms I received were that it was relatively short and the melodies were simple. Almost every track was 2:30-4 but the ones that were longer weren't because they had more melodies than the shorter ones, I just felt that the melodies I had created were able to last longer than 4-5 minutes so I repeated them for a longer period of time.

I went through mostly the same thought process when making the tape and after finishing it in my opinion there's nothing wrong with an idea not going beyond the three-minute mark. I found that after I had made a couple of the tracks, my tunes were naturally becoming slightly longer and hovering around the 4 minute mark so it could also just come with time.

>not liking pop punk
Well it’s power pop anyway but both are greats anyway let’s focus.

lmaooooooooooo look at this kid lookin for the fukin witch tape

How long are the melodies themselves? You could try extending those or adding in subtle variations

It’s witchposting time

Do another band. If you do Weezer again you'll seem like a one trick pony

Angus the Bard here, what band should I do next?

had to repost that.

i'm 100% sure witch's pointy hat is shit. the only reason why people care about it is because of the contrived mystique.

just look at how amateurish the cover is. the fact that the artist actually decided to use that as the cover is indicative of just how stunted their artistic sensibilities are.

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nice bitterness, poser
I wish I got hate mail like that

>Nice bitterness, poser
i'll continue to believe that until i'm presented with contrary evidence. but i really don't care if i hear it or not because i honestly believe it's bad. it's just annoying to see you two jerking each other off every thread.

what are /nbdsd/'s thoughts on vaporwave? i honestly think there's a lot of overlap between the more ambient/new-age side of both genres. and then of course there's the online presence as well
youtube.com/watch?v=seFL61UVxhs

excellent release that merges the two genres together
aurawire.bandcamp.com/album/once-through-an-ancient-archway

oh shit nice. gonna give this a shot rn

fucking kek

thinkin about alder deep......

beyond pumped for chapter 3, that man put out chapter 1 and 2 like it was nobody's business and they were some of the best releases this year. Chapter 1 specifically is AOTY for me

Middle Ages is so unbelievably good, my man Caduceus

is there any lovecraft ispired ds ?

But it’s fun

I love this

Any Dungeon Synth blogspots that have downloads to older and lesser known DS?

Ascoven, dungeon excavation

Who’s the Christopher in question? Byler? Hill? Riggs?

I've already exhausted Ascoven's DS posts, thanks for the other one though I have not heard of it.

There’s not much there but yeah that’s keegan’s blog I think. I believe Andrew werdna has/had one just called dungeon synth or something

Both good points. I think I have a tendency to get "busy" too quickly, both in composition and performance, with any of the music I've made. Maybe I just need to have more discipline and let things "breathe", so to speak, and hope that the idea doesn't get stale too quickly. Also I'm trying not to come off as too formulaic in the writing and arranging.

Chaduceus

fuck me how did I miss that, maybe i'll edit that in

I should have known this album came from a Sup Forumstant. Also it's crazy how bent out of shape some people get over a little self-parody.

Next album, idk. What genre are you looking at?

The first place I ever posted it after making it was on Sup Forums. Probably going to keep along the lines of rock

Pretty vague, so how about AC/DC

I think something surf rock would be good....or continue the poppier theme and go pop punk. I’d listen to DS covers of Blink 182 and AAR like nobody’s goddamn business

thats because you're a faggot

Green Day