Chinese government building "massive sea lab" 9,800 feet deep

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-07/china-pushes-plan-for-oceanic-space-station-in-south-china-sea

Reportedly the prototype/initial base will support 12 men. Then it will either be expanded or replaced so that it can support 33 men. It wil lbe nuclear powered and, contrary to earlier reports it will be a fixed seafloor habitat rather than a mobile submarine.

The official story is that the base is meant to facilitate deep sea mining. However even in very rough surface weather, deep sea mining robots can be operated via tether from a conventional sub loitering just 200 feet down.

There is no application I know of other than military which would justify such an expense. But then, 9,800 feet is many times deeper than the crush depth of nuclear subs, which is ~1,600 feet. A base at this depth would only be able to service much smaller craft, like deep diving research submersibles.

What are they building this for, Sup Forums? What's down there that would be worth so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Q8a2jmfMk
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gaI8WyWLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zmLcj-RIICk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Jew gold

China's complete lack of regard for human life means you can expect them to do crazy, unsafe shit for funsies.

Truly the most industrious people out there.

UNDERNEATH THE WAAATER IN THE
SEEEEAAA LAAAAAAB
UNDERNEATH THE WAAATER
SEEEEAAA LAAAAAAB
AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

Gold !

There would have to be a vast, unusually pure deposit in the south china sea we don't know about. And there would need to be some reason robots couldn't easily extract it, operated by humans from a safer depth.

The US government has built stuff like this in the past, but it was very small. Usually no more than 6 men. Also very shallow, around 200-300 feet.

The only US underwater base officially still in operation is only 63 feet deep and supports 6 people. So for China to build something that supports 33 crew at thousands of feet down is truly audacious and unprecedented. This is basically an oceanic moon shot.

Under the sea, the birds have scales for feathers. I know. I know.

Under the sea the crows are white as snow.

Here we eat fish, under the sea, the fish eat us. I know. I know.

Under the sea the old fish eat the young fish. Up here the young fish teach the old fish.

Under the sea, you fall up. I know. I know.

Under the sea, men marry fishes.

Under the sea it snows up, and the rain is dry as bone. I know. I know.

In the dark the dead are dancing.

Away, away, come with me beneath the sea, away, away, away...

>that one episode where Murphy gets pinned under a vending machine

I wonder what crazy characters a Chinese Sea Lab would have

Someone's gotta stop those god damn chinks.

That is so awesome. It's not all that practical but as a work of art, the idea of an underwater facility is just classic.

THEY ARE BUILDING RAPTURE

I am 1000% percent positive that this is not propaganda, and that if build there would be zero problems with the quality of construction. I am an ordinary American internet poster and not a citizen of the glorious Peoples' Republic of China on a proxy!

They've been getting pretty serious about their oceanic ambitions with deeper and deeper Jiaolong expeditions in recent years. Their interest in deep sea minerals is to master the ability to access rare earth metals known to be abundant down there before anybody else.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Q8a2jmfMk

rip captain.

niggers can't even build escalators right and you'd trust them enough to go into a pressurized facility 9800 feet down in the ocean?

>feet

Fucking Americans.

That's maybe kinda fukken smart. Any global power needs to lock down some resource procurement or tech development strategy, and the two go hand in hand, like with US war/industrial tech and whatnot.

At last.

Pretty much this.
They better outsource this shit to some country, that actually has the tech to construct the damn thing, otherwise it's just going to fucking implode three days after completion.

Nihao and Suk Dong Gu

Japanese posts never fail to amuse

They already have nearly a monopoly on rare earths, which happen to be the specific metals needed for all electronics, including stuff like electric cars, solar panels and smartphones. This strategy is certainly good for them but it's bad for the rest of the world.

A few years back China cut off rare metal exports just to show they could, and what would happen if they did. The response has been for Japanese and US companies to devise ways to use as little rare earth metals as possible in stuff that currently uses a lot, like electric motors, but we can't eliminate the need entirely.

They're just gonna innovate in the classic Chinese fashion and throw dead/liquified human bodies at the problem until it becomes solved.

Oh no it's emerald weapon!

At last.

Hopefully they murder every jew.

Chinese underwater ghost base confirmed.

A complete lack of regard for human life is what got us to the New World and the moon.

I encourage these sorts of endeavours. Who cares if there's nothing to mine down there. The glory is all you need.

Neat. Got some FRED data or articles for me? Legit would read

One of the luciferian gates

seriously though- would you put your brain in a robot body?

They know about the the coming comet impact that will wipe out all life on the surface. They will then proceed to experiment with implementing human consciousness in robotic humanoid bodies.

They better invent a way to give me two robot penises

Underwater Chinese ghost base

>oceanic space station
>ocean
>space station

I literally can not tolerate stupid people.

>Who cares if there's nothing to mine down there.

There is. It's just cheaper to do it with robots controlled from either a boat or a submarine in much shallower water.

RARE
A
R
E

Just google "deep sea mining", there's a lot of corporations getting into the game recently. A google image search for that string will show you the robots and typical methodology used.

Here's your (You) just because R A R E

>Made in China
tip top lel

>Impliying they arent triying to make real life SPESS MAHREENS trough genetic agumentation research at this very moment.

This is what happens when your nation as a whole doesnt appeal to cuckolding. You get cool shit done, no matter the cost in human life.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gaI8WyWLQ

someone redo this with an asain accent

Rarest flag on Sup Forums.

First that above traffic bus and now this?

West is being left behind

The Matrix was only half right. They missed the part involving the marriage of VR tech with robuts, so we can bang robut chicks and then do underwater science in our moment of robut clarity

Maybe it's a genome bank so preserve DNA of the best races.

Down there they can do all kinds of experiments, like cloning people.

>A complete lack of regard for human life is what got us to the New World and the moon.
You're fucking retarded.

A superweapon to destroy the white race

hi there ulrich

>20,000 chinks under the sea

This. If they ever finish building it, everyone sent aboard will die a horrible death within weeks.

This may look cramped but it is in fact the largest single underwater base ever built. There were some installations consisting of multiple habitats on the same site, like Conshelf 2, that had more overall living space but this is the biggest single structure of its kind.

What China is building will be an engineering marvel and blow every past attempt out of the water (har har). To construct enough living space for 33 people at that depth is going to be a real feat.

Then they will try again, and again and again until they get it right. Plenty of chinks to spare.

Hey how can I get citizenship there? I have a high level job and two masters.... would your king accept me?

>Then it will either be expanded
Read that as they will either be expended. Was not surprised.

youtube.com/watch?v=zmLcj-RIICk

how do they build those anyways? Do they construct facilities on shore and lower them while modifying pressure differences or build them on the floor?

UH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>Hello simon
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Here's the biggest American sea lab (the other one was French).

It had the first all woman crew, which the media named "aqua naughties"

>China builds gigantic sea-labs, ultra modern cities, hoverbuses and gene-modification therapy
>all while America impotently bickers about gun rights and whether or not a 3rd bathroom is necessary

Construct the modules on land, tow them out, then add lead or iron weights to a ballast container built into the structure until it sinks. Then smallest ballast tanks are used to fine tune buoyancy for a controlled, gentle descent.

No such habitat was ever designed to be expanded like the ISS until now, except Helgoland, a German underwater lab which had one extra module added. Pic related, I dunno if it counts as they took it out of the water to expand on it.

Dumping more Tektite II pics because it was a fuckin cool design

Was sea lab based off goon station?

we cyberpunk now

JC! IT'S GOING DARK!

Sweet Jesus that is next levels of /comfy/

I read that in a burly Cossack accent

Oh totes, sealabs are the top tier of comfiness except maybe for Antarctic bases. Go get Subnautica, you can build your own max comf sea habs in that game

Sealab 2021 was based off the original show which was just called Sealab 2020.
[as] got the cels from the original show and used them to make their own show.

Are you serious?

Talk about bad vibes environment. Think about it.

It's funny, you only say that because you didn't understand what I said.

do you even know what I'm talking about dork?

they better not bring something worse to the surface. I watched Deep Sea Six and Leviathan

DELETE THIS!

Nothing that lives natively down there is capable of coming to the surface without dying. Their bodies are adapted to and rely on the high pressure, low temp environment.

NEETS have distorted concepts of comfy from staying their room all day and using the computer.

Hmmm

No. Make more sense, leaf.

CALM DOWN EVERYBODY CHINA IS JUST DOING A LIVE ACTION SOMA MOVIE

Those outdoor sections were so disturbingly beautiful. Every time a huge silhouette swam by in the distance I shit my fucking robot pants. They knew what they were doing.

How hard can it be? Calculate pressure, build entire structure with steel walls x thick, lower entire thing from a barge.

Needlessly? Absolutely.

Is SOMA good? Or just another walking simulator with jump scares?

>learn english so I can go to US and work on STEM
>if Trump isn't elected US will tank and I'll have to learn moon runes to go to china

No I say that because the people who settled the New World and went to the moon placed quite a high premium on the value of their own lives. They didn't do these things out of some sense of death wish, the men who went to the New World took every precaution to ensure their own survival the men who went to the moon weren't forced into their capsule at gun point.

We accomplished these endeavors through ingenuity and faith in our ability to succeed, not through callous communist human waves. There's a reason we sent a chimp into space first and not a man. Saying it was disregard for human life that got us there rather than strength of will and discipline is an insult to the people that did it.

There are some complicating factors. The larger the interior volume of any single module, the thicker the hull needs to be, exponentially.

This is why the deepest diving subs are all tiny. That one James Cameron went to the Challenger Deep in had a crew habitat that was a titanium sphere just a few feet in diameter, it was a pain to squeeze into.

It helps that the Chinese are relatively small in stature but still, the modules they make this out of will basically need to be titantium, and no larger than absolutely necessary. Probably just enough that they can walk around with a few inches of head clearance.

Almost no jump scares in the game. The fear is from how they fuck with you via the mind uploading mechanic. I don't want to spoil it for you but you have to do some messed up shit in that game to move forward.

more atmospheric than jumpscares, actually makes you question a few things.

Shhhh just let the guy keep dreaming about spoopy things.

I can fucking hear the OST. Fuck.

This.

Thanks

What about deep-sea AIDS?

I hope they start publishing shit unknown to man thus far. They did it with Jade Rabbit, showing us the moon looks nothing like we thought.

They don't play by Uncle Soros' rules. I hope they find all the lost civilizations at the bottom of the pacific. Japan has underwater pyramids, why not China?