2001 a space Odyssey

About to watch this
What am i in for

All i can get from the trailer is a few people die

you're in for the long haul.
it's about evolution and its beautiful.
it's also slow as fuck. prepare yourself with psychactive substances.

A nice long sleep

Yeah i can see what you mean by slow

An art film. Its not a sci fi action movie if thats what you're looking for.

kubrick mostly showing off how realistic all his space tech is, years before helping the government fake the moon landing, this is his audition to make history and his dick is fucking huge.

Not sure what primates obsessing over a strange pillar has to do with space tech

A very metaphorical film.

Hope you have an ass pillow.

So to people who have watched it, what is your interpretations of all 3 parts? Was the monolith an observer or the catalyst?

Also would you recommend me the books/2010?

>it's about evolution and its beautiful.
God dam your not kidding.
I did not think i would ever cry over tool use

4 parts.

Forgot about the first monolith sighting.

Some notable scenes to look out for.

>Monolith on the moon
>The daily routine of the people on board the ship
>The heavy breathing.

Stop watching after hal dies

i think in the beginning, even if it had no special effects on the apes by way of telekinesis or anything, it's mere presence as a symmetrical object in their world would make an impression enough to make it a catalyst whether or not its intentions were to do so.

i think the beacon on the moon was definitely a catalyst in way of a test or challenge. by sending a signal, it evaluated the specie's ability to interpret signals and its capacity to reach the destination it shot for.

The entity of the monolith is seeking the highest evolved being and it misinterprets that as HAL, which in very much the same way as the ape is acting according to its structured routines. It does not question self or is even aware truly of itself.

Absolute kino

Hey OP, keep us updated with your thoughts.

What happens after that is the best, most symbolically-charged part of the film you utter faggot.

My absolute favorite film that I'll never watch again (sober)

Drop some acid and wait two hours before watching it You should be peaking by the time you reach the last 45 minutes of the film which is the best part. Trust me on this.

Something that is incomparable to any other movie.
It is more an experience than any other film i have seen.
The music is superb.
Saw it in the cinema last year (seen it before) and wow.

Its pretty good
The way that guy was moving the camera was wierd and distracting though.

Also even taking into account inflation the price for a call to earth was optimistic

Get us when just before you watch the 4th part.

Then post your reaction afterwards.

hah bro, just drop some good ol' loosey lucy my man! You're in for a decent flick, hah. make sure you pay attention theres a lot to miss hah!

but desu its probably his best film

What a strange way to do an eva

Also a bit of a late statment but as great as this movie is i really dont like that we have no idea what the characters in the second part auctualy did as there job.

I am absolutly certain that that was intentional but would it have hurt that much to just say what each characters phd was in.

I just reached the intermission

I am certaintly intrigued to see what happens next

Oh fuck he killed him.

How could you hal i auctualy thought you were right about the unit failure and the humans were just being paranoid

You're going to be in a wild ride by the end of it.

Im afraid i cant do that.
Chilling.
Hal still cannot beat glados though

Horray he still might have been right about the system failure

It's about time

It's the best movie of all time imo

that guy is ded at the end

reborn*

>Hals speech while he gets disconnected
Jesus christ

I take it back hal is just as good a character as glados i cant really say which one is best as they are not really comparable.

>movie is set in 2001
>hal is state of the art
>manufactured in 1992
What

I am never going to be able to listen to that song the same way again

*cue Pink Floyd*

What a tweeeest

Reminds me of wall.e which makes me realise they borrowed from hal a bit for the ships ais visual design.

Kubrick and Clarke assumed we'd be a bit further ahead by 2001 than we actually were. HAL basically seems to be a self-aware quantum computer that had to be taught like a child at first before its intellect geometrically expanded. A quantum computer also effectively throws the current hardware paradigm out the window, obsolescence within a decade isn't a realistic concept.

This is actually quite accurate to current notions of how you'd have to build a hard AI, it would take time for it to learn and develop its way into the equivalent of a full adult consciousness. They were way ahead of the game with the ideas, they just got the date wrong.

So thats why everybody was talking about drugs

>Kubrick never dropped acid

Alright time to talk about that 4th act (does not really feel right to call it an epilogue)

Is what i would say if i did not have a ton of dishes i needed to do

I will however say that although i at least partialy understood most of it and did like it it felt a little like it was tacked on to justify the first act in place of the halfway point somewhere between dawn of man and 2001 i was expecting after the first act ended.

I will admit i dont know much about the effects of hallucinatic drugs but some of those clouds seemed to well thought out to be inspired by lsd

>Was the monolith an observer or the catalyst?
Arthur C. Clarke wrote three more books in the Odyssey series, so you can read them and see what he had thought from the beginning.

The ending of the last book is literally Independence Day.

I've seen similar things on acid.
It's impressive in the movie, but it breaks your mind irl.
However the Kubrick's intention was creating a mystical/religious experience, as you can get into the psychedelic perception not just via drugs but also i.e. through meditation.

There are a lot of countrys that celebrate an independence day you will have to clarify

I mean the ending from the Independence Day flick, where they send a computer virus to the aliens.
The books are still a very good read though, especially if you're into sci-fi or just like the 2001 movie.

Oh yeah that makes a lot more sense

pleb here

what was the monolith? what was the room at the end? and the baby?

DUUUUDE

IIRC:

>monolith
Alien devices most likely used for experiments or observations on evolution. It's implied that they're catalysts on evolution and also transmit the results somewhere else.

>baby
Bowman "evolved" into something more advanced than a mere human, thus he is "born" again.

>room at the end
Where Bowman was developed into his new form. He travelled through the stars via wormhole or something similar. The place is habitable for humans, implying that its function was precisely to allow them to stay there and "evolve", as the ones who put it there intended.

>Also would you recommend me the books/2010?
Yes. The books are quite enjoyable. Reading 2010 is comfy as fuck.

>monolith
Uhh... It's literally an alien influence giving humans the ability to build tools, but metaphorically there is thousand interpretations, from the transformative power of the cinema screen to psychedelic drugs.

>What am i in for
A nice comfy nap

Also: Bowman is in this room to transcend his humanity and be reborn as the starchild.

Not after what HAL did to Poole.

Just the thought of being sent adrift in space, even your lifeless body makes me scared.

>Just the thought of being sent adrift in space, even your lifeless body makes me scared.

>tfw we'll never see a Return From the Stars adaptation with painful PTSD sequence of chasing adrift cosmonaut through space
>tfw we'll never get any good Lem based movie

>All these sheep itt pretending to like this pleb shit
Sad!