SMiLE

I'm convinced this is it, Sup Forums. The GOAT album. Not only is nearly all of the material compiled to the two "canon" versions of the album (The Smile Sessions and Brian Wilson Presents Smile) truly incredible and innovative for the time of the material's original conception 50 years ago, but in addition to the two officially released compilations, there are endless fan mixes from the many, many bits and pieces of recorded music. With the audio editing knowhow, you can make your own custom configurations based on all the additional material included in the big Smile Sessions box set, if you'd like.

smile sessions sounds like shit. I mean you can hear it so easily in Good Vibrations during the "Goooood goood" chorus. The album itself is just weird for me. Pet sounds is better.

Is Brian Wilson's version worth it though?

I really like the Brian Wilson version, but most people seem to write it off as the inferior version. I personally think it's fantastic though and there are several aspects of it that Sessions doesn't have. Only major downside for me is no Carl Wilson vocals.

its a minor masterpiece but if you really think its the absolute best then you probably need to listen to more music

and pet sounds is better of course

Obviously the vocals are way different, old man voice, but I honestly love the Brian Wilson version.

I mean, the only other Beach Boys I really like is Pet Sounds.

I like how Smile is pretty much the opposite of Pet Sounds in every way despite the material being worked on pretty much at the same time, I don't think it would have been perfect even if it had been completed but I think that serves it right, if it tried to be as polished and perfect as pet sounds it wouldn't be the interesting and unique album it is.

I don't understand the dislike for Brian's version of it either, watching it being performed live made me like the whole thing more, and having more options it's always a good thing, I feel like some tracks were improved in some aspects.

surfs up's my personal favorite, but you gotta respect pet sounds as GOAT

The Brian Wilson version is fantastic and the most actually finished and polished version out there, but of course it doesn't feature the actual Beach Boys (and the original mixing sounds better to my ears, as well as fitting the material more as opposed to sleek modern digital production)

Surfs up is great. Disney girls.

What would music be today if Smile was recorded and released as it was originally intended?

Ya this, imo some of the songs aren’t as good with Brian’s voice as they would be with another ones voice but I think the production is a little better.
Watch the live version it’s cool

a lot better, less Beatles influence

>In the cantina, margaritas keep the spirits high

What you guys think of pic related

I probably could have been a bit clearer, but yeah the productione sounded better on Brian's version. It's great to have the original recording, but it sounds bad on "hi-fi" equipment. In my car it sounded alright but I can't unhear the quality.

Apparently they used some great equipment from the time to record it, not sure what happened from then to now. I know Brian did try and get rid of the tapes though.

I heard it wasn't good and skipped to Wild Honey. 1967 Sunshine Tomorrow has the 1st stereo mix that's good, lots of extras like Lei'd in Hawaii

SMiLE is perfect. not surprising that plebs don't know it

Listen to it in monooo, it’ll grow on ya. It’s cool because it’s like kinda lo fi compared to the smile material etc
Is this true?

It's still good and worth listening to. While some songs are done better through the various versions of Smile, there are still a lot of gems.

fucking great album. it's pretty damn weird which is why it's good.

Cabin Essence best track

Fun fact the noise on vegetables is Paul McCartney chewing on celery

I personally enjoy the workshop mishap.

I'm In Great Shape is fucking amazing.