Pretty safe bet this was the award winning shot of the segment?

Pretty safe bet this was the award winning shot of the segment?

I mean, shit flying at the screen, closeups of stuff, inverted colors and upside-down landscapes were still a bit "drug influenced student film light show" even in 1968, 70mm or not.

This though has always stood out to me as truly ahead of its time. It's fucking 50 years old almost and looks like (really good) CG.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WzqokjcsHEY
youtube.com/watch?v=19WT40D513Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cku1N8eCUlo
youtube.com/watch?v=-p1hxvPOIhE
youtube.com/watch?v=WLHO_E_U8o4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wow look at all those d8s, is this homestuck?

Actually it's just a picture of a flower.
Smart and looks great, but once you know how it's done, it loses its magic.

Yeah, but doesn't that go for almost anything?

Like...I work in sound, not in video or film, but there's that same way where I'll have some really interesting noise or bit of instrumentation that's just otherworldly that comes from something simple. Something not dissimilar to those leads you hear from bands like Boards of Canada, being really just brief flute recordings with reversed gated reverb played through a sampler.

I mean, don't get me wrong. The last act of 2001 as visually impressive as it is doesn't make up the whole of its amazing sfx. There's so much during the substance way beforehand (that people who keep comparing shit like The Tree of Life or Enter the Void to 2001 seem to keep forgetting about), but this particular shot was like the final drop of icing on the cake.

Maybe it loses it's magic slightly. I have felt tired of both practical fx and CG. Been waiting for a good space scene finally shot in space, that sort of thing. Closest I've seen still is that Matrix scene where they got a real highway and blew up real cars, and of course there was still so much that was fake. Until then, I'm persistently impressed by the tricks truly ahead of their time people can manage to pull off.

I know what you mean, there's plenty of ingenuity and care on those shots. Kind of like Coppola's Dracula when he insisted on making all the effect shots in-camera
youtube.com/watch?v=WzqokjcsHEY

If you want to understand why 2001 was so visually-impressive for its time, watch the movie it was up against with regards to awarding SFX:

Ice Station Zebra.

You'll see a HUGE contrast in SFX.

A more apt comparison would be Fantastic Voyage.
Then again, FV is a much better movie than 2001.

One of the greatest vfx movies that never gets mentioned. Fucking Mousehunt.

youtube.com/watch?v=19WT40D513Q

youtube.com/watch?v=cku1N8eCUlo

meme

Has any of you watched 2001 on acid?
It's probably one of the greatest experiences I've had with film ever.
It was hypnotising and magical, the blank screen scenes with the intense music was some of the most visual experiences on it, it's like it was made to be watched on acid.

>It's fucking 50 years old almost and looks like (really good) CG.

This doesn't make any sense. Models and practical effects and real things will ALWAYS look better than CGI. CGI looks absolutely crap on moving objects. This is why sci-fi films from the 80s like Alien or the Star Trek films haven't lost their appeal and crappy CGI shitfests from the 2000s are never heard from again

>real things will ALWAYS look better than CGI.
'no'

I'm actually serious. The first twenty minutes are among the best things Richard Fleischer did.
The editing is great, the sound work is excellent, the plot is bare bones despite having to sell its ridiculous premise. And then they get miniaturized and the music sets in.

2001 doesn't even gets close to that, and only gets tense and mystical in the final sequences thanks to Gyorgy Ligeti's music.

youtube.com/watch?v=-p1hxvPOIhE

vs

youtube.com/watch?v=WLHO_E_U8o4

And 2009 looks much better.
What's your point?

That you're a retard and have poor eyesight, poor judgement and an ego to bruise. Mission accomplished

>real things will ALWAYS look better than CGI

watching 20 random episodes of MST3K should be a requirement before posting on Sup Forums

here's your (you)

????
The ships just plain old do things that 70's practical effects couldn't.
You're lying to yourselves.

this is like saying the beach scene in Edge of Tomorrow is better than the D-day landing in Saving Private Ryan lmao

not even close
terrible false equivalence

you're embarrassing yourself dude, just stop

>Hyde
Oh, you're underage.
c ya

Wait, this isnt Evangelion?

LOL!

>I shan't be indulging the minds of the alt right any further

embarrassing

It's been on my to do list for a while. Just need to find some more acid first. I've heard accounts from people who have though, I believe someone said it was like speaking with god at one point.

fuck yeah, Mousehunt is a technical marvel

Those diamond shapes are the aliens, by the way.

funny it looks like the visuals from one of the long animations in homestuck

There is a lot of cgi that you and many others probably didnt know was cgi at all. Because effects are photo realistic, as long as the entire scene isnt built out of it and it becomes really obvious. Shit talking cg like this is a meme perpetuated by redditors

>fat kind in a fedora
Wow you totally proved you're not underage with that expert meme for mature adults.

It stood out to me as well. Kubrick likes his diamonds.