How much music theory do you know?

How much music theory do you know?

More than the other music students in my suite

I did percussion in school for 6 years. I can read through and understand a lot of rhythms. I know my scales on marimba but that's about it. I'm not really an expert

a decent amount, I played in an orchestra once so I forced myself to learn it

So far, it looks like more than most of this fucking place.

I'm doing a bachelor's in music so hopefully enough

took an entry level class as an art elective, went leaps and unison, all the way the seventh chords and their inversions. Everything in between them needed to understand, read and play chords.

enough to sight read sheet music and understand keys and chords, but not enough to make me a shitty boring songwriter

I did band for 7 years and I took a class in college so I have a small concept

None

Honestly man the more I learn the more I realize it is all relative to whatever rules you set before the piece is played. As long as intervals used are consistent, that's the 'key'. Set the rhythm to whatever the fuck you want, change the arbitrary key to whatever the fuck you want whenever you want. All these seemingly rigid things like keys and rhythms are really just as simple as making sure everyone is on the same page

To answer your question I've learned all the modes, and several of their derivatives, have good understanding of rhythms, understand augmented, diminished, 7, etc. I'd say almost everything I know is somehow rooted in the modes, from there I learned how to build chords, and it gives you a great map of a key, and gives great insight on how to change key.

I know the gitar tab for down wid tha sickness

I taught myself the basics of chords, modes, and melodies - enough to dick around on a guitar or piano but not enough to sit down and just...make a song.

Then my creative focus shifted to writing stories and I never bothered learning more.

i teach piano so i know the underlying stuff. nothing advanced though

>enough to make me a shitty boring songwriter
I'm sure you were good at that already.

What did you expect it to be like? I see it as just a bunch of new terminology to describe fairly abstract concepts so you can think about them and explain them easier

nothing spectacular

Self taught for some 5 years, started playing guitar in high school. Really only started to have a grasp on theory of music when I started teaching myself piano. Considering how casual guitar is , I learned to play chord shapes but usually didnt understand how and why chords scales, etc are formed. That all changed when learning piano. Though I'm not a good sight reader, I've got a much better understanding on musical harmony melody, and chords, than ever before. Currently studying classical composition in university, and tho I'm not as classically trained as other students, I feel I'm more creative because I don't feel weighed down by some mental blocks caused by years of learning classical approach, such as 16th century counterpoint. I want to transfer to another University to study music technology. Working with MIDI and daws while also learning some theory sounds like a good foundation to become creatively and technically involved in making music.

>dupstap

Quite a lot for a dilletante and a dropout.

All of them

that's a lot

I play bass, what is this theory thou speaketh of?

In truth I know a lot of theory,& am a real bassplayer. I know more theory than anyone in my band.

about tree fiddy

I know a fair bit of theory
Still need to learn some counterpoint techniques and some more jazz theory though
Also my rhythm is shit

i nose midow see

I started learning to play guitar this summer and I went into it knowing absolutely nothing about music.
The more I learn about it, the more I gain an understanding of the system, and the more I find it really fucking interesting. It's nice to have something I can sink all my autism into and have it be useful too.
That said, I still know relatively jack shit about music theory.

whassup Adam

kek

None, I really wish I did though, it sounds really cool.

Are tabs music theory?

it's pretty easy to learn user, go for it

only for Oasis and Bad Religion

how much do you even know about food pairing theory? I studied food for years, therefore my taste is better than yours and whatever I like is objectively better!

how much do you even know about properly shitting theory? I studied posture shitting for years, therefore my shit is better than yours and whatever shit I like is objectively better!