Seen pic related for the first time. What happened? Was HAL aware or something...

Seen pic related for the first time. What happened? Was HAL aware or something ? I'll rewatch it again though cause I did enjoy it

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_(film)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Of course HAL was aware, but it's up to you to interpret what went wrong with him.
Though if you want a non-ambiguous answer watch the sequel.

>sequel
there's a sequel?

Guess miss worded. I know he becomes self aware. I'm just confused about the message when he deactivated HAL

Hal spells out what bug was in the next film.

HAL is above all an early exploration of the things that can go wrong when humans trust artificial intelligence, and since this is such an important theme in contemporary society, the idea has stayed strong. The sequel offers an explanation for HAL's actions, but it also has plot inconsistencies which directly contradict the first book/movie, so this requires some unpacking.

Whereas the first movie is also an artistic and technical exercise, the sequel plays like an action picture which holds the viewer's hand. Despite having entertaining content and cool sci-fi sets, 2010 therefore insults the audience's intelligence where 2001 does not, and in that sense it is a deeply inferior sequel. It's not a terrible film, it's just totally in the shadow of the first.

If we pretend that the sequel never existed, then it is possible to theorize that HAL simply malfunctioned for whatever reason (which would be enough to make the social point about distrusting computers), or else we might suppose that HAL is being influenced by the invisible, mysterious beings who are responsible for building the monoliths...

>Seen
you were too stupid for it

Maybe

computers are bad goy
let the control to us

The movie has pretty visuals, but is crap beyond that.

HAL malfunctioned because he had conflicting orders. He was supposed to,
1. Keep the true nature of the mission secret.
2. Do whatever he can to make the humans like him.
This caused a conflict because he was programmed that lying made people not like you. This created internal anxiety. To deal with this anxiety, he pushed this conflict into a sort of subconscious mind. However like with humans, his actions would become affected by this. It's why the first problem is that the array keeps shifting off of Earth. After that self-preservation and panic kicks in when they are going to take him offline.

I watched for the first time yestersay, didnt enjoy it 2bh
Overly pretentious, but well shot and a goat score

Theres no way you can determine if it was pretentious or not on your first viewing. Watch it again you fucking pleb.

Hal decided the mission was too important to be left to humans

The Hal 9000 has never made a mistake

Yeah but it's not by Kubrick

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_(film)

You actually watched this shit ?

Wew lad, that's something you pretend to watch to sound smart, why would you inflict you this ?

Almost, they explain it better in 2010: The Year We Made Contact.

HAL's orders were to keep the true nature of the mission a secret, but he was also programmed not to lie. He also had backup orders that would allow him to complete the mission himself if all of the human crew ended up dead. According to HAL's programming parameters he had to stop lying, but was incapable of telling the truth. He was also programmed to be incapable of suicide. Killing the crew was literally the only option open to his programming.

In the book they said it was anxiety about the crew not liking him. I guess it makes sense either way.

HAL himself explains it better in 3001.

>the pleb response

HAL was sufficiently aware to pass a Turing test. The first third is about ancestors learning how the value of tools (in that instance as weapons). The middle section is about man making a tool so articulated that it is able to defend itself from its possessors.The finale is man becoming capable of accessing a subtler interface.

If Kubrick wasn't such a hack he would have figured out how to get the goat ending line of the book into the movie.

It wasn't finished, the editing for the film was complete before the book was finished

excuses

the line literally didn't exist yet, its a pretty good excuse

He faked the moon landing, he could have made a time machine.

shhhhhh

he's listening, let's talk in one of the pods

Yes, it's not on the level of 2001 but for a movie that tries to follow up such an iconic film it's pretty tasteful and effective, despite being more conventional. And Arthur C. Clarke was still involved so that's a plus.

fair enough, maybe Stan was just having a bad day

I got lots of themes of perfection and the impossibility of perfection from the film as well as civilized life retaining its savage nature to get ahead.
You see the savage nature in the American commander who strong arms the other nations in the negotiations about the monolith, the scene where Dave is running in the cylinder boxing with the hibernating crew members and Dave's tapping into Savage Anger to kill HAL in revenge for his crew.
You see themes of perfection in the monkey scene where the monolith that appears possesses impossibly sharp angles in a world full of rocks and dirt, in the initial space station scene where the docking procedure is a perfect ballet engineered by human science, to HAL, which is a perfect computer incapable of making mistakes but also contains contradictory programming, up to the final scene where Dave is eating dinner alone in the bedroom marveling at the finest indulgences humankind has created and then knocks his Crystal wine glass over shattering it.
I took all of this as an explanation that the universe's systems and patterns are in their own way perfect but the savage inner spark of life is the imperfection inherent in all perfect systems, which is the great cosmic joke, we strive for perfection but are ourselves intrinsically imperfect.
HAL was a new life-form capable of being just as Savage as humans. He wanted to be the one to confront the monolith himself but he did not have thousands of years of evolved savagery to prepare him for his duel with Dave.

yea sure

Were the astronauts aware of true nature of the mission?

no