Y'all will probably hate me because I'm a casual (by Sup Forums standards) and I never post on this board so maybe...

Y'all will probably hate me because I'm a casual (by Sup Forums standards) and I never post on this board so maybe there's an obvious answer I don't know.

But has there been anything on tv recently that is as good as Mad Men?

I watch plenty of the popular shows, GoT and TWD, etc etc.

They're fun, yknow.

But has there been anything actually good since Mad Men?

Lmk plz.

OP here.

Sounds like a resounding "no"

I'll just continue rewatching it. Finishing s1 rn. Just as good as I remember

>this will probably get downvoted but

go fucking back scum

>projection the post

Go fuck yourself.

The Young Pope

Try The Leftovers, The Knick, or The Young Pope.

Appreciate the genuine responses gentlemen.

I'll try Young Pope first since it got 2 recs.

True Detective you stupid reddit pleb

Yeah I watched it.

Severely overrated.

You pleb ass motherfucker.

The Leftovers isn't anywhere close to the quality of Mad Men.

The Knick is pretty good as is The Americans with The Knick being closer to Mad Men's style but both still short of the quality. The Americans is a period piece like Mad Men.

Girls honestly is good and similar. If you hate the characters that is fine, everyone does. Looking is also similar. Both use music in a similar way to Mad Men.

Halt and Catch Fire finally got good in the last season and a half. It's like Mad Men's AMC baby brother. It's not nearly as good but some episodes are right in Mad Men territory. It's also a period piece.

The first season of UnREAL was good. The second holds the record of biggest drop in quality of a show between seasons in the past decade.

Transparent is probably the closest of what you'll get to Mad Men -- at least it is to me. The last season was great but the second is the weakest.

The Girlfriend Experience is a show no one watched but it was a quality show. Short episodes but still with the weight of an hour-long premier cable show.

Horace and Pete was good but clearly a vanity project. It too is similar-ish to Mad Men in its mix of drama and comedic moments.

Haven't seen The Young Pope. The Crown may interest you as well. Haven't seen beyond the first episode but you'll notice a familiar face.

Probably forgetting something else but it has been a long year of television. That shit doesn't end.

TL;DR nothing has come close to Mad Men but a few will at least remind you of it.

You must be a fucking faggot.

Oh yes I remember now:

Better Call Saul is similar as a "slow burner" (that's what people say about The Americans too). Some of the best acting.

Fargo was also good. Some debate over which of the two seasons was better. I prefer the second.

Maybe you would like The Affair. It is an ambiguous show like Mad Men got sometimes.

I bet you liked Stranger Things and Black Mirror.

Thank you so much for this reply user.

For the record, I'm not looking for the "feel" of Mad Men. I could care less about that that.

It's just that some TV shows are fun distractions and some transcend into "art" or whatever.

I enjoyed the shit out of Breaking Bad, TWD, and GoT. They are fun stories to pass the time.

The Sopranos and Mad Men effected me on an entirely different level.

So that's what I was asking... if anything I missed has hit that level of quality.

But you really covered your bases and moving forward I have plenty to look into, whether it hits that level or not.

Thanks a lot user, genuinely.

Recently watched Mad Men for the first time and finished it in a couple weeks. Excellent show, although it dropped in quality around the 4th or 5th season in my opinion. Right where Betty leaves Don, I thought Don went through such a personality change. They wrote him as a weak, unreliable drunk. Which he probably was all along anyway. But I still missed the alpha male, no nonsense ladiesman he once was.

>girls
nice bait

That guy that said that was a jerk for sure...but I'm OP and I thought Stranger Things was fun.

I watched it over 2-3 days and didn't regret it.

Fun Stephen King 80s vibes.

Wouldn't rate it particularly high but also don't think it could be possibly classified as bad.

On a rewatch I got up to that episode with Howard Johnson's before it really hit me just how weak season 5 was and I haven't managed to finish the episode yet (this was a couple of months ago). I actually kind of suspect it has something to do with that being the first season Jon Hamm was credited as being a producer.

OP here

That's kind of, in my opinion, the point. He was always unstable and weak af but he was propped up by certain circumstances.

Don't get me wrong he fucking alphas the shit out of everyone but it's sort of that we're ALL faking to a certain extent.

It's breaking down the myth of the unflappably masculine man.

We all have weaknesses.

Even if he deteriorated into a sort of aimless drunk he still was a beast compared to most people. It ain't attacking his masculinity or masculinity in general.

Just admitting that we're all human and we all have our weaknesses. Even don

Yeah it's difficult to recommend something to follow Mad Men because there are so many possible things to like about it. A lot of those shows are serious contenders for 'best on TV'.

I'd also recommend Black Sails but it's more fun than serious (the first season is garbage but almost required watching). The same with Atlanta but they're still both good shows.

The Walking Dead?

To add to this Peggy and Joan are two of the strongest charterers and they're women.

I'm pretty sure that was deliberate.

Either way I sympathize with and/or understand or relate to nearly every fucking character on some level and that's a result of INCREDIBLY strong writing.

In that case you might like Wayward Pines. It annoyed me in the same way as Stranger Things and later found out it was because it had the same writers. Didn't watch the second season of it.

Uniformly terrible opinions.

>Girls, Transparent, and Horace and Pete are the shows most similar to Mad Men

jesus christ dude

Mentioned it in the OP.

Quite like it but it isn't in the same league.

Enjoying this season so far though even though I've heard other folks aren't. Negan is the best fucking character they've had in forever.

And his second in command (or whatever I guess I don't know exactly how it works) is great too.

Seems like you can't read user.

Yes, I think you're right and that was the point. But a lot of characters got personality changes around that time. Betty turning all bitchy and crazy, Peggy turning confident and independent.
Of course these changes were all on the horizon and were bound to happen, but I thought the change felt a little too sudden. Like it happened overnight (or in between seasons).

He's also the only person that gave a serious response. Sure it's easy to criticize but everyone else just made some non-commital pithy remark. Shows who they are as individuals.

Sort of like your post.

The post literally states that Transparent is "probably the closest of what you'll get to Mad Men" which is retarded.

I already recommended 3 great shows, fuck off. And a long response is not necessarily a good response, especially when the additional descriptions are fucking dumb.

Yeah that's the only one that says it. You read Horace and Pete being 'similar-ish' as being 'the most similar' for I don't know what reason. Maybe your reading comprehension is as bad as your television watching.

If you don't see similarities between Transparent and Mad Men then maybe you can't think beyond a surface level.

Maybe you're fucking dumb.

Oh ok I get what ya mean.

I didn't notice it myself but I always marathon it every time I watch it. Never had to wait between seasons. Mother ever stuck out of me.

...just got to the part (on my 3rd watch) where Pete's dad died in the planet crash. I fucking hate Pete. And he's basically artistic so he doesn't feel anything. But I still feel bad.

That shits impressive imo

>ctrl+f
>no magic city
its kind of like a cross between madmen and boardwalk empire
cancelled too soon tho

two of the best typos right here

>But I still missed the alpha male, no nonsense ladiesman he once was.
only betas think that being alpha means being noticed by women so that they let you fuck them

I never said the shows had no similarities. But to say that Transparent is the show most similar to Mad Men is fucking stupid.

It's not "necessarily a good post" based on character length or whatever, but his was.

And I already respected the shit out of your post because I'm checking out the Pope show first.

Jude Law helps tho.

How about this: no it isn't fucking stupid.

Lively debate. Thanks for your posts.

Sorry I might be drunk.

Is that one of the Starz shows?

I remember that being a thing when I lived with my parents and had that channel, but it's been a while.

What's it about? What's it like?

I think Pete really turned his shit around in later seasons, from being a preppy rich boy to becoming a very prominent and skillful accountman. Pete was probably my favourite asshole.

Don was getting top level pussy the entire series and knows he can get it whenever he wants.

He was talking about the way he handles situations. Business, personal, or otherwise.

Don became a weak man because he was dependent on lies and substance abuse. His problems were never with women and that guys post barely referenced women

He just missed the always smooth and in control Don

I feel ya there. And like I said man, I relate to and sympathize with all the characters on some level.

But for some guy to have Alison Brie and Alexis Bledel, when he is the weakest bitchiest dude.

Hard for me to deal with that.

I'll admit it's my own shortcomings haha

Mad Men is GOAT but The Americans is excellent, Show Me a Hero miniseries and OJ mini were great as well.

Ignore Rectify/Fargo/Bloodline/The Affair posters

The Young Pope
The Knick

Any other recommendations are probably trolling

That was his arc. Going from a rich shit to a self made man

I would like to respond to this again just to say, in the case of Betty, her arc was firmly established.

She's sort of a relatively good intelligent lady trapped in societial norms and a bunch of bitches react that way. Even today when societal norms aren't even close to the same

>The Knick
Can't sing this show's praises high enough. The best show of this decade as far as I'm concerned. If it were on HBO instead of Skinemax, it'd be a worldwide hit

>tfw always searching for transcendent TV just like OP
>tfw no more Sopranos or Mad Men

Six Feet Under is for you my friend. I would also recommend the leftovers, show me a hero, and friday night lights

The Leftovers
Fargo
The Americans
Rectify

These are the nest shows on tv right now imo

>Six Feet Under is for you my friend
>Cuck: The tv Show

I think Mad Men is the GOAT but I also enjoyed Stranger Things

What are u gonna do about it??

Can't have a fucking conversation about anything without some insecure race-baiter

Go fuck yourself you sad little man. Your insecurities have nothing to do with whether a tv show is good or not

I don't even post on this board but kill yourself immediately.

How has the new season of Rectify been?

t. my wife's son is a stoner like two of his possible dads

Quarry hasn't been mentioned yet

>if you don't hate black people you literally raise half-black children

Nah I'm white my girls Latina and our baby looks as such.

Wouldn't expect you to understand since you probably haven't seen a vagina in years

Also she just turned 6 months

Thanks for the support

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I've seen people say it's not as good as previous seasons.

>no u the posts
>rebbit the person