What do jazzfags think about Frank Zappa?

What do jazzfags think about Frank Zappa?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n-Sqme_o5OI
youtube.com/watch?v=UnRi-n-v7-g
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwLNcBD68k
youtube.com/watch?v=zCNRgfkeWXs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He really makes me think

Corny Comedy Rock. He's basically Weird Al yankovic with Zany Marimba Solos

This

anyone who hates zappa on Sup Forums has not listened to Uncle Meat

what do jazzfags think about uncle meat

I didn't realize he put out a jazz album late in his career until a few years ago but I ain't no Zappa expert by a longshot

He's cool

Dude he's got about 5 more Jazz albums that he released in the late 60s/early 70s

Nice. Apparently it took 'jazz' being in the title for me to get it. I always associated him with avant-garde rock. Thanks

i really like zappa but i dont take him seriously as I do with a John Coltrane or an Albert Ayler. i think the main thing zappa brought to the table was just his personality and the comedy.

more than 5

It's alright, you're not the first person to dislike his music. And I'm sure Pierre Boulez conducted Weird Al's compositions as well. Care to share a link to a performance?

jazzfag here, hot rats will always be my GOAT rock fusion record, plus I cream my pants whenever beefheart comes in on Willie the pimp

Personality and the comedy? How about elevating rock music to the heights it deserved to reach? Remember, his contemporaries were psychedelic rock bads, British blues rock bands and on the other hand The Velvet Underground, Silver Apples, Soft Machine, etc.

We need a thread for bad-ass collab interludes on their associate's albums. I thought of Reznor's bionic guitar on Lunchbox immediately when you said that.

Are you telling me this doesn't sound like Zappa?

youtube.com/watch?v=n-Sqme_o5OI

Don't forget The Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan and Chunga's revenge.

>Are you telling me this doesn't sound like Zappa?
Strangely enough, it does. Could be because it was dedicated to him.

>ITT: no actual zappa fans
I've heard guys (who actually do music shit) irl go on for hours about his mastery. I personally have never gotten into his discography because I'm too pleb for even his accessible albums.

sounds like youve only listened to his comedy shit, then. I hate his corny comedy rock stuff. His other stuff is pretty amazing, though.

>t. Brainlet getting stuck on humor
You even hear the Roxy Bru. That band is amazing.

It's a meme to hate zappa, while I'm much closer to a purist and the more I listen the more I become a jazz and classical purist. I still think there is a space for Zappa. He did great things when he would try the respected genre and he still made the best fusion record in my opinion with Hot Rats. It may not be the most technically proficient, but it's easily the only one with any personality.

also I love it too, but that's more of a blues track than a jazz track. Like it's the most overt blues track on the record

>I've heard guys (who actually do music shit) irl go on for hours about his mastery.
This
I'm no expert, but I have a bit of theory knowledge and Zappa's incredible creativity in melodies and arrangements blows me away

NEVER LISTEN TO 200 MOTELS

The best Flo & Eddie is instrumental version of the band. That and the more song oriented stuff, not the vaudville stuff. But listen to anything form 1966-1970 (chunga's revenge) then you can skip the filmore, 200 motels and Just another band (though it's the best of the 3) and then listen to Waka/Jawaka to the end. Though Does Humor is a bit weak and his 80's records aren't as consistently good after Them or Us and Thing Fish.

I don't know. I've never listened to pop music and never will.

pretentious soyboy

If Zappa were attractive he would have made serious music. Thoughts?

>If Zappa were attractive

why does Sup Forums ignore these albums if they love hot rats so much?

youtube.com/watch?v=UnRi-n-v7-g
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlwLNcBD68k
youtube.com/watch?v=zCNRgfkeWXs

Most fags here just pick 1 album from each artist to seem well versed. Ever notice how all Coltrane threads are about A Love Supreme?

Zappa's jazz works are pretty weak unless you don't actually listen to jazz, in which case they're probably mindblowing. He's a decent at best fusion jazz composer, much better player than anything.

Zappa is best when he's making off the wall rock music like Burnt Weeny or Absolutely Free, not when he's trying to be Miles Davis

Zappa is respected by irl academic music fags. He's in some music school curriculum. While some fags on Sup Forums like to be contrarian and claim Zappa was just a potty humor comedy rock artist, Zappa is respected among serious musicians.

I dig him. Inventive, Strange, idiosyncratic. A lot of good stuff came from him. That being said theres an amount of poppy trash there too