Hint: It's Videodrome

The Dead Zone

I would also go with Videodrome.
A History of Violence is his last best.

The answer is actually Dead Ringers

also a solid pick tbfh

The Fly

Jeremy Irons is brilliant in that

Cosmopolitan is Cronenburgs most mature work. It shows how he utilized everything he has learned from all his prior films to produce a cinematic experience that has no equal.

cosmopolis is without a doubt his best work
it was the perfect blend of his recent more straight forward stories (history of violence/eastern promises) spliced with his queasy horror.
same goes with maps to the stars

Dead Ringers

Videodrome is his best. Crash is his most underrated.

"COSMOPOLIS", OR "SCANNERS".

Why has no one said Eastern Promises? It's amazing.

The Fly is his most complete, emotional, accessible film. It's objectively perfect.

The sequel, unrelated to Cronenberg, is also great.

youtube.com/watch?v=tu2EXuYdZQg

It has such a great soundtrack, They gave an 80's body horror film a 30's/40's King Kong style score and it works

Crash > Scanners > Cosmopolis > rest

History of Violence has top notch direction
since I'm a huge hipster I think his best movie is eXistenZ
debate me

This.

Also I say M Butterfly is his worst film even though I actually kind of like that film.

eXistenZ is great

I'm personally more a fan of naked lunch, as existenz feels a little corny desu.

is it weird that I'm a cronenberg fan but have extreme contempt for videodrome? the story isn't that interesting and the surrealist sequences are so fucking bland

I don't know that Crash is super underrated but it is very underappreciated
Manages to be really unsettling without too much over-the-top Cronenberg gore or body horror.
A really unique story told in a compelling manner. It's stuck with me more than most of his other movies, and I have liked every movie of his I have seen.

"The Brood" is my personal favorite of his.

Spider.

Not claiming the very best but here's a top 5(by alphabet):
A History Of Violence
Dead Ringers
Maps To The Stars
The Fly
Videodrome

This is a great one.
This is another.

But my favorite is The Brood. There's something so creepy about the atmosphere of that movie but it's so good.

I like most of his movies but Eastern Promises was definitely the best.

eXistenZ wasn't that good. It felt like he was just trying to make a quick buck off the Matrix and Dark City's popularity.

It felt like a Black Mirror episode.

He didn't like the special.

what I like is the episodic nature of the movie actually, it's kinda small scale and not trying to be an epic movie preaching a point about life etc
comfy as fuck

Naked Lunch is the only true patrician answer

>download the fly
>has no audio track

This=the fly>eastern promises>crash

feelsbadman.bmp

That's not exactly weird. I have little issues with Videodrome too. The one issue I have with multiple Cronenberg movies is that the audience is asked to suspend disbelief a little too much by accepting big metaphysical plot shifts without even a molecule of explanation.

I don't need to have the mystery of a good horror story ruined by fake scientific explanations but sometimes a tiny bit of it could help. Like in The Brood where Dr. Raglan drops a single line about "psychoplasmics" to Frank, who it concerns most, and he doesn't even ask what that is.

That movie was garbage and oscar bait

>muh racial and social tensions in Los Angeles

Played like an after school special

The Fly and Eastern Promises are tied for me. But I haven't yet seen a movie of his that I straight up didn't like. The closest that comes to that is Maps to the Stars, which is probably my least favorite only because 90% of the characters are assholes. Doesn't make it a bad movie.

cronenberg still got the oscars, though
what have you done in your life?

Wrong Crash man

>these guys
Don't try to say trolling now, retards

>Oh shit I got btfo out what do I do now to save face?!
>I know I'll just call them retarded!

Not how it works Sup Forums.

Early Cronenberg
>They came from within

Body-Horror Cronenberg
>Naked Lunch
>Videodrome

Post-2000 Cronenberg
> A History of Violence

You're thinking of Paul Haggis's "Crash" from 2004, not Cronenberg's 1996 "Crash".

Everyone is forgetting "Shivers" (1975):

"The residents of a suburban high-rise apartment building are being infected by a strain of parasites that turn them into mindless, sex-crazed fiends out to infect others by the slightest sexual contact."

Great movie.

I watch that movie this Halloween and it was really good.

>that scene where mc came across the old guy and his daughter.

The Brood, because these little fuckers

have you seen his car racing movie?

dead ringers
videodrome
crash
the fly
the dead zone
eastern promises
maps to the stars
scanners
naked lunch
a dangerous method
existenz
a history of violence
cosmopolis
m. butterfly

haven't seen the others yet. can someone explain to me why most people rate a history of violence so highly? ill admit that i feel like there's something critical im not getting there.

what is it about it that you feel as though you're not getting? I think it's probably one of his top 5 movies and a complete masterpiece. It's one of his most deeply affecting movies and a very interesting look at human identity and family.

No one ever mentions Spider, it's ass

No but nothing can be worst then watching Irons have a awkward romance with a trap and a godawful ending to top it off.

The thing

t. embryo

You're mistaken, The Thing is by Craven

Look up the car racing movie man. It's a complete joke. M Butterfly is one of his weakest movies but he's had a couple worse than it.

?

I'm sorry twin peaks was a good show that and Halloween Is a great moive

Scanners is trash.

The Brood is his first great film.

He was a good actor in nightbreed, anyone seen it?

>The Thing is by Craven
you what mate

I didn't really like Nightbreed but Cronenberg has picked up the occasional small acting role over the years. See Jason X, To Die For off the top of my head.

Because it's not scifi or horror, but at the same time it has Cronenberg's distinctive filming style which emphasises the body and body politics of the characters rather than their emotions. This adds a whole new depth to the usual "small town america but with dark secrets" narrative.

ITT: no love for crimes of the future

Eraserhead

He's one of the toughest directors for me to rank his movies.

I have a real soft spot for Shivers; I saw it once on late-night TV when I was way too young and it kind of scarred me for life. God bless you, Mr. Cronenberg.

why did you like nightbreed? It was a clusterfuck of trashy b grade ness