J Dilla - Donuts

Thoughts on Donuts by J Dilla?

Here, I posted it yesterday.

fantastic, if only he hadn't passed god rest his soul

Embarrassing.

Shut up.

On the verge on creating a new genre in the way he manipulated samples and incorporating the moog. what a waste :(

>shits on an album that he didn't even listen to
you're what's wrong with this board

Best muzak album ever

Like you haven't had any malicious pre-misconceptions on an artist you've yet to listen to.

And also:
"But what conceivable reason would there be for an instrumental album to be higher placed than albums that spawned beautiful masterpieces such as Degausser, Wet Sand, Miss Murder, and Welcome to the Black Parade? Did Dilla inject the venom of anacondas into drums and make drumsticks out of rocks? Did he carve record spinners out of wood and clay? Did he use bird chirping into a dog's mouth as the basis for his songs? Tell me, I need to know! What. Is. The. Deal. With. This. Album....?"

This album is insanely well done, one of my favorite albums ever. Knowing the context around the album and that he knew he was dying while making it makes it all the more soulful. Don't Cry is one of the greatest beats ever, absolute crazy sampling on that song.

To be honest, I never really got it, I saw that Vox video on why it's great a few days ago and finally I felt like I could understand how people justify the acclaim it gets (though obviously, like many other "classics" its acclaim is primarily due to the fact he died shortly after)

YOU BETTER STOP

AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOIN'

>Vox video on why it's great a few days ago
Great, so now Vox made another album video? Now what are they going to do next? Make videos on Sup Forumscore? Will Loveless be next? How about Hospice? Or no, Americ anFootball. That would be fun.

MY FAMILY TREE IS MY HISTORY
MY FAMILY TREE IS MY HISTORYYYYYYY

BA BA BAAAA BADABA BAAAAA

WAKE UP WORLD
>WAKE UP WORLD
WAKE UP WORLD

>GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
ARE YOU AFRAID?
>TIME IS RUNNING OUT

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
>ARE YOU AFRAID?

TIME IS RUNNING OUT

>Like you haven't had any malicious pre-misconceptions on an artist you've yet to listen to.
but I don't go around telling everyone that an album I didn't even fucking listen to is overrated
also your reasoning is beyond retarded and amounts to "I like these songs and they're in different albums so this other album shouldn't be above them in an arbitrary ranking"

He wants to go get his girlfriend, go get your girlfriend.

I don't know, I don't really follow them, it just popped up in my feed...I've purposely avoided the TMR one because I hate people who think there's something hard to understand about it

That said, the album hardly qualifies as Sup Forumscore anymore, I can't even remember the last time I saw it posted, used to be several times a day for years

I knew that if I said I wanted RHCP and Brand New up on the list of the best albums of 2006, people would criticize my tastes for no apparent reason, other than the fact they're so close-minded they wouldn't even bat an eye at them. So I did the one thing any rational person would do: destroy the top album of 2006 itself. It's called a pre-emptive strike.

im in the same boat

Was Dilla a great producer? yea, undoubtedly. Was he the "greatest ever"? personally i don't think so.

Donuts has some great beats, and what he was able to do with samples was some magic. His drums were also pretty significant as well. All of that contributes to a relatively unique sound that's worth listening to, but i think the album is still kinda overrated, mostly because he passed away shortly after it released.