Why did people hate this Godzilla so much?

Why did people hate this Godzilla so much?

the biggest detriment i can think of is having a plank of wood play the main character but there is plenty more wrong with it

>killing off bryan cranston 30 minutes in
>military focused story turning it into US army propaganda
>godzilla barely has a supporting role in his own movie
>all action scenes were teasers until the ultimate fight
>godzilla viewed as a hero and not the embodiment of destruction cause by human intervention (its a complete 180 in this film so it can barely count as godzilla)
>the mutos had a very uninspired design (looked like robots)
>the mutos showed the most emotion throughout the entire movie

Only plebs hated him.
>hurr he's so fat

Bitch, you're fat.

Movie is great when Quicksilver isn't on-screen.

so theres only about 10 minutes worth watching? doesn't sound like a very good movie

On point, user.

You are right but hit the nail with the US army propaganda. The story is boring.

What i hate most about this movie is the lack of tokyo getting stomped.

>godzilla
>chick flick with 15 minutes worth of action
>godzilla swimming for 45 goddamn minutes

Kick-Ass can't carry a movie to save his life.

I watched the original then this version one after the other. Loved them both. Didn't see where the hate came from.

this

>hurr he's so fat
They needed a way to appeal to American audiences somehow

I didn't hate it but I did think there was hit n miss.

The fact that they made Godzilla a legitimate "good guy"/"hero" in the end put me off. His first appearance was great, flooding a city just by making landfall, probably drowning a good hundred people or more, it was a nigh-perfect representation of the force of nature that he should be, too big and powerful to pay any amount of attention to humanity or its constructions.

Then what happens; Godzilla practically tiptoes through cities, only bursts through the GG Bridge when he's forced to by missiles, and in the end when he reenters the ocean there's barely a ripple to be seen when by all reason it should have been a repeat of Hawaii.

that's interesting; when i first saw 2014 godzilla i thought it was 'ok' but ultimately disappointing. I then saw shin godzilla and reassessed my opinion and thought 2014 godzilla was bad. following shin godzilla, it invigorated my interest in the series as a whole and i decided to watch the '54 original godzilla which made me further re-evaluate my consensus on the 2014 godzilla and i came to the conclusion that it was an irredeemable piece of shit that shouldn't have been made.

They're pretty banging 10 minutes.

not banging enough to salvage the rest of the movie unfortunately

It does for me so you'll just gonna have to deal with it.

Cranston was still in Walt-mode, his son sucked, MUTOs were shit, Godzilla was barely in it and not the antagonist.

no, im going to pout and have a tantrum because someone doesn't share my opinion

>written by max borenstein

more like boring(((stein)))

Entire theatre went INSANE when this happened.

Glad I went opening night

It's like you've never seena godzilla movie before. The big G never got as much screen time as people like to pretend he did.

But there's at least something entertaining going on when he isn't. This movie wasn't enjoyable at all.

>>killing off bryan cranston 30 minutes in

That was the best part

my problem isn't the lack of his screentime, its the excessive boring human scenes coupled with the MUTOs, the most generic monster antagonists they could come up with. its like you havent seen a godzilla movie because if i recall correctly, godzilla was the main and only antagonist and worked as a symbol for the evil nature of humanity (specifically after creating the atomic bomb). the human scenes were also highly introspective in the original, blended with political and social commentary. 2014 focused on emotion and spectacle. the writer clearly thought that adding political overtones into the movie would be deemed boring so he went the most easy route of them all: an action movie. this was not a disaster movie, this was an action movie and those two terms shouldnt be confused. if the human scenes in the 2014 film bothered at all to look inward, it might've been interesting but instead it relied completely on extrinsic value and hoped the monsters would carry the movie yet they didnt, they never have and they never will. godzilla movies are political disaster movies, this was a popcorn movie.

Why is everyone whining about Bryan Cranston getting killed? He's awful and his character wasn't much. I didn't sign up for LE I AM DA ONE WHO KNOX XD going against Gojira.

He was the only one who could act in the entire fucking thing.

Listen, I know you're just being playful but when you say shit like that it ruins my motivation to try to piss you off

but you already pissed me off, i already had a tantrum

>mommyfu faggot can't act
>bad godzilla design
>bad CGI in general

This guy said it all...

>the mutos showed the most emotion throughout the entire movie

Not a fucking detriment, you're just on a roll and throwing anything you can to fatten your post

If the monsters show the most emotion in a movie that is supposed to showcase the horrors and turmoil experienced by humans from similar events, then that is a problem

Yeah, but the monsters themselves showing emotion isn't a problem at its core. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the mutos a bit more than generic shitty monsters. But you're right, the whole human part of the movie is a disaster. More Big G, less puny humans, and actual human emotions were needed.

Edwards' imitation of Steven Spielberg failed horribly due to:
> Painfully dull human drama. The most interesting players are sidelined or eliminated early. They are all replaced by an awful protagonist who barely interacts with anyone or monologues or anything. Toho's films feature an ensemble cast and it makes a world of difference. Plus the focus is extremely limited. You don't really feel this is the first time a monster has appeared given the reactions of the characters.
> Overly serious. This along with the point above is a fatal combination. I never felt anything. It's just such an emotionally void film. And the coincidences and situations the protagonist survives towards the end starts to undermine the tone. Should also mentioned how stupid the military behaved throughout this film.
> Teasing. It only highlighted how weak everything else was and quickly became frustrating. A light of hope is given and immediately snatched away. Repeatedly. And the "payoff" isn't strong enough to justify the amount of teasing.
> Lackluster score. A big part of most Godzilla films is strong music and G14 just doesn't have it. If the score isn't inappropriate, then it's too understated to notice. Music is also an important aspect of Spielberg films (imagine Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws, or Close Encounters without based John Williams) and Edwards dropped the ball hard here.
> Godzilla. The titular character hardly matters. In fact, he could almost effortlessly be written out and nothing would change.

he was using the example of the monsters to showcase the fact that the human actors were shit

kickass's role could've been played by a washing machine

I know, and I agree with him. And don't insult washing machines again.

I like when Godzilla is the hero. you can disagree with me all you want, I'll just call you a nigger. nigger.

fuck off malcolm

This has been disproven countless times since the movie came out.
Face it, American Godzilla movies are fucking trash.