Can someone convince me that electronic music is good

I'm referring to instrumental electronic music. Going into it, I had assumed that I would hear layers of meticulously crafted sounds that complement each other and create stunning textures and atmosphere, all supporting a melodic line that would be both sonically fitting as well as beautifully singable/catchy.
Instead I just found music with 2 melodic instruments at once (sometimes 3) and sonically it just all seems not that interesting or expressive. Also, the melodic instruments are usually just repetitions of drawn-out chords with no regard to melodies or layering melodies. Most of the effort just seems to be put towards the percussion, which is rarely interesting enough to carry the piece alone.

TLDR: I'm obviously missing something, I don't get it. Please enlighten me

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/ujico
youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA
youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M
youtube.com/watch?v=oTZ9W6HNOqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ARAtXqFdPcA&list=PLQ4X3Eg6ytWZJroibmA5GJb_gPvrjK3GE
youtube.com/watch?v=LzUGaugPg2s
venetiansnares.bandcamp.com/track/befriend-a-child-killer-remix
impossiblenothing.bandcamp.com/track/k
youtube.com/watch?v=4h3i6ZBxOOs
youtube.com/watch?v=-NQWw8NLwMc
youtube.com/watch?v=jt5tRaV3iY0
youtube.com/watch?v=iTxOKsyZ0Lw
youtube.com/watch?v=7sGT3tmZJ5s
youtu.be/ATmBOnMJJkE
masterbootrecord.bandcamp.com/track/33mhz
youtube.com/watch?v=BZNgKZMRpsM
youtube.com/watch?v=Bmg_DtZ0Scw
youtube.com/watch?v=ik9cExHOazw
youtube.com/watch?v=FwxpMIEZ9fg
youtube.com/watch?v=CmTgzvr4lWk
youtube.com/watch?v=nv0peny62q4
youtube.com/watch?v=uWPahLc-j5w
youtube.com/watch?v=xoUY_0-w9hQ
loscil.bandcamp.com/track/motoc
youtu.be/tvltTXEg5kI
youtube.com/watch?v=f6Of1D1-WkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

What did you try listen to OP?

Listen to Drukqs

I've tried about the top 50 RYM electronic rankings (this includes Aphex Twin, Burial, Autechre, Boards of Canada, The Knife, Coil, Ulver)
The only Aphex Twin album I haven't checked out yet, listening to it now

You might just not like electronic stuff. I find the synth textures in particular to mostly be interesting and while maybe not expressive, by pleasing to listen to. Also I like banging dance beats.

Try some less ambient stuff. Give some techno and industrial a try.

Skip the piano pieces if you don't like them, a lot of people don't care for them but I find them to be really nice interludes between tracks

Not sure if you'd like this

(Literally what I listening to right now)

soundcloud.com/ujico

>Try some less ambient stuff
Honestly, the ambient stuff is what I enjoy more than the hard-hitting or fast-paced stuff. For reference, I feel these tracks perfectly encapsulate what I look for in electronic music with stunning atmosphere and sound design as well as infectious melodies that are inexplicably sublime (and my enjoyment of it is not tied to nostalgia, I didn't play these games or anything growing up)
youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA
youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

it's not always about having lots and lots of stuff going on at once.
more != better
however if that's what you're into, try breakcore/electronic jazz/noise

youtube.com/watch?v=oTZ9W6HNOqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ARAtXqFdPcA&list=PLQ4X3Eg6ytWZJroibmA5GJb_gPvrjK3GE
youtube.com/watch?v=LzUGaugPg2s
venetiansnares.bandcamp.com/track/befriend-a-child-killer-remix

This is the closest to "maximalist music" I've found (before it just becomes noise):
impossiblenothing.bandcamp.com/track/k

^that whole album is pretty much just about cramming as many samples into a huge album. doesn't always sound good tho.

Try this

Thanks! I've already checked out most of those tracks before and like I mentioned here I'm not necessarily looking for more hard-hitting or maximalist, just more sonically and harmonically interesting than a pad repeating chords over a drum break without much or any melodic progression to the piece OR alternatively someone convinces me how to enjoy and appreciate this type of music (especially in the IDM realm) because it all seems fairly lazily put together and uninteresting to me at the moment, but I'm open to getting into it

Electronic music is an extremely nebulous term, there are plenty of ''electronic'' albums that are minimalist and many that are maximal. It would really help to know what kind of music you already listen to but here's some stuff anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=4h3i6ZBxOOs
youtube.com/watch?v=-NQWw8NLwMc
youtube.com/watch?v=jt5tRaV3iY0
youtube.com/watch?v=iTxOKsyZ0Lw

Let me know if you like any of this.

>Aquatic Ambiance
youtube.com/watch?v=7sGT3tmZJ5s

Thank you for the recs! Honestly I can't appreciate any of it, it's either repetitive to the point that it seems lazy and uninspired or the percussion is too layered and it takes away from harmonic content, making it more of a dizzying collection of rhythms than a piece that I can make out. Or it sounds like they have an idea and instead of trying to add to it or move it into different directions, it seems they just go "let's add drums to it, make it glitch out a little, maybe some noise or a basic lead and then we're done"
fuck. I'll just give up. But thank you everyone who tried helping me, I really appreciate it

youtu.be/ATmBOnMJJkE

Is this electronic music?

thanks for giving electronic music a try anyway. even though i disagree with you (esp when you say lazy wtf) it seems like electronic music just isn't gonna be your thing.

my only other rec is MBR but i refrained from recommending him before since it's not all electronic. But it's very melodic:
masterbootrecord.bandcamp.com/track/33mhz

I think you just have awful taste at this point, if you really think either of those Donkey Kong tracks surpass all of what you've been suggested or what you've listened, you need to get your ears checked

>you just have awful taste at this point
I'm not saying you're wrong but convince me that the tracks I've been recced and the stuff I've listened to is really good

>convince me music is good
Now you're just a flat out retard

Pitchfork likes it.
there you go thats your reason

How? You can't even tell me why you like it? I'm genuinely curious, I don't think my taste is superior to anyone else's, I'm not here to try to prove anyone wrong. I'm just trying to learn

What I find so hard to believe is that you think the Donkey Kong Country OST is the best think ever composed electronically. I'm sure all of the people who worked on that album were inspired or influenced by some (if not a lot) of the artists you've listened to. I don't know you call so much of what you've listened to lazy or uninspired. Either just stick to just listening to vidya osts forever or stop being so overly nostalgic.

There's no nostalgia involved. I've never played a video game before. I just think each instrument is crafted really well and it creates a really stunning atmosphere. The melodies all compliment each other and are extremely pleasing using amazing phrasing and beautiful note choice, usually landing on colour tones (7ths. 9ths, 11ths, 13ths)

>I've never played a video game before
What is wrong with you?
>I just think each instrument is crafted really well and it creates a really stunning atmosphere. The melodies all compliment each other and are extremely pleasing using amazing phrasing and beautiful note choice, usually landing on colour tones (7ths. 9ths, 11ths, 13ths)
Yeah....I think you have bigger issues in your life then just not liking electronic music.

>I think you have bigger issues in your life
like what? I'm a very happy person

You're an autist with shit taste

I'm trying to expand my taste as much as I can, electronic is really the only thing left that I still haven't gotten into

You're looking for ambient. Try Brian Eno.

What non electronic music do you like?

Are you just some autist that sits in his room listening to nothing but western classical on a pair of 7000 klipsch speakers that Sup Forums recommended to you?

Nah, I don't listen to classical more often than anything else. I'm into to a pretty diverse amount of genres, that also adds to why I'm so surprised I just can't get into instrumental electronic music of all things

show me 4 musicians you actually think are good

U really need to get out of the house and in da club

youtube.com/watch?v=BZNgKZMRpsM

Mark Hollis
Nick Drake
Charlie Parker
Robert Fripp

youtube.com/watch?v=Bmg_DtZ0Scw

youtube.com/watch?v=ik9cExHOazw

youtube.com/watch?v=FwxpMIEZ9fg

shhhhhh

let the groove hit your white ass

There's not really any groove in that though, with the use of either quantized drums or a short loop, you lose the human aspect, which is what actually makes something groove or be danceable. If I wanted to listen to music that grooves I'd much sooner listen to P-Funk, Sly, James Brown

>with the use of either quantized drums or a short loop
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, good job

Gabriel (Live Garage Version)
Bass – Frank Parker
Drum Programming – Roy Davis Jr.
Drums [Additional] – Larry Bilups*
Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals [Background] – Peven Everett
Producer [Produced By] – Peven Everett, Roy Davis Jr.
Trumpet, Keyboards – Peven Everett

You really are autistic mate

>Drum Programming – Roy Davis Jr.
What do you think this means

>actual drum machines
>ever maintaining a perfect loop

also did you not like fucking beat connection by lcd soundsystem when you listened to them?

youtube.com/watch?v=CmTgzvr4lWk

No, drum machine's don't keep a perfect loop but it is not human, so there is no room for groove to happen because it can not interact with the other musicians
>also did you not like fucking beat connection by lcd soundsystem when you listened to them?
No, I think it's pretty lame

can i see a picture of your living space?
im really courious

What point are you trying to make?

i want to see the world you live in

Like i actually have no idea how your brain operates my guy

if you want ill show you mine

Heres the veiw from my desk I like a lot of house techno and world shit

wbu my guy

I don't need to see your place, my place isn't too interesting. What I'm saying isn't out-there or anything, live musicians allows for groove, having any programmed musicians lowers the amount of groove

do you like disco?

No, I see it as a bastardization of funk

youtube.com/watch?v=nv0peny62q4

youtube.com/watch?v=uWPahLc-j5w

You think this is bastardized funk?

youtube.com/watch?v=xoUY_0-w9hQ

??????????????

Yes, honestly. The Sylvester track was good until the disco cliches kicked in (open highhat on off beats and strings melody)

On a scale of 1 - 10 how much do you hate gay people

1 - I don't hate them at all
Hbu my dude

0 im gay

>one of the biggest disco records ever
>cliched

nigga does nueromancer have cyberpunk cliches?

I'm not saying they were cliche at the time, I more meant the obvious characteristics of a disco record

mhm

so you dont like syncopation at all?

Sounds like you just like electronic ambient music OP. Try this and tell me what you think:

loscil.bandcamp.com/track/motoc

...I do
youtu.be/tvltTXEg5kI
I'm more just not a fan of the common disco stuff (I just find a lot of it cheesy)

Avril 14th is the greatest song of all time though

Thanks! In terms of atmosphere and textures, this track's great. I just wish it either had a melodic component to it, or it harmonically shifted to make it more interesting or memorable

youtube.com/watch?v=f6Of1D1-WkY

you fuck with this?

Listen to Substrata by Biosphere