What has Sup Forums read so far this year?

What have you read this year? give reviews

>crippled america
8/10
>art of the deal
11/10
>Thing big
7/10
>think like a champion
8/10
>founding brothers
10/10 must read
>Hiroshima
6/10 too short and political towards the end
>secret history of the CIA
4/10 misleading title, unjustifiably long
>Freud interpretation of dreams
2/10 first 40 pages are amazing, rest of book is self indulgent shit
>bill oreilly: no spin zone
1/10 literally just transcripts from shows and brief analysis
>founding fathers
6/10 generic, repetitive
>Treason
8/10 not anns best
>grant
9/10 but long af
>exporting america
7/10 informative but all over the place, no focus
>duel
9/10 but very academic not for everyone
>Reagan diaries
7/10 insightful but long winded
>candid
9/10
>perils of peace
7/10 too close to reading a text book

Other urls found in this thread:

encyclopediadramatica.se/Bookz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The Bible
10/10

in fairness i walked right into that one

I real academic books with peer reviewed proof.

Not this first year trash you have piled up in your pic.

You are CONFIRMED as a try-hard first year university student with zero intellectual ability.

Go suck drumpfs dick, KEKLES.

nobody wants to talk about Trump books?

>post nothing

leafs are easily the worst posters on the internet

OP
make a file compilation of these and put it in the OP

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy - 10/10

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor - 9/10

From Socrates to Sartre -TZ Levine - 7/10

The Martian - Andy Weir - 7/10

The Apology of Socrates - Plato - 8/10

Phaedo - Plato - 8/10

An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding - David Hume - infinity/10

wait, do you mean like digital copies of the books?

ill try, don't really know where to find them

Blood Meridian is one of the best books i have ever read

should have never let someone borrow it, would love to reread it

Mostly just been reading technical books for work, CISCO, NetAPP etc. I did buy The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham a few months ago but I haven't even started it yet.

should have a guide to using an irc client and going to undernet to download free books
it should be in the sticky

also, I don't rec actually using /lit/
it's the equivalent shithole of any hobby when you mash Sup Forums together with it
Sup Forums is a prime example

>well reviewed by warren buffet

thats a pretty glowing endorsement

might need to check that out after i finish Clintons war on women

>the federalist papers
7/10
>the mask of command
8/10
>democracy: the god that failed
6/10
>the accidental guerilla
9/10
>on thermonuclear war
9/10
>seapower by Till
10/10
the communist manifesto
I don't know how to rate that

I'm in the middle of ghost wars now

It really is the best piece of fiction I've read in many years. Everything I've read by McCarthy has been great, but Blood Meridian is in another league.

Benjamin Graham is the guy who Warren Buffet looked up to, he even worked for him too when he was starting out IIRC.

Yeah i know /lit/s a shithole

Have seen their "required reading list" which consists of such highschool classics as A tree grows in Brooklyn and catcher in the rye

ill just search myself, pretty sure finding Freud and the grant bio will be pretty easy

and i think /tg/ has links to all the Trump books

yeah i don't really like fiction much (Overdosed on it in my youth) but reading Blood Meridian was a fucking blast

Read it in one night when i was camping, seriously could not put it down

encyclopediadramatica.se/Bookz

>the federalist papers

my nigger

>communist manifesto

I actually enjoyed it enough, but thought it was full of bullshit all the same

Its better than Das Kapital anyway
>not like that means anything at all

I used to love to read. Just realized I haven't read a single book this year.

Anyone want to recommend something lightly thought provoking to get me back into it?

I haven't really heard much about Graham in comparison to Buffet

Not much of an economics guy tbqh, should probably start moving into that field a little more

>Human Action, Ludwig von Mises
9/10

>The core teachings of the buddha
7/10

>Buddhism by the number
5/10

>The doctrine of awakening, Evola
8/10

>The idea of critical theory
8/10

>The comprachicos, Ayn Rand
9/10

>Performative action, Butler
N/A

>Blindfolding America, Coughlin
10/10

>Islamic jihad : a legacy of forced conversion, imperialism and slavery
10/10

>The four imams
NA

>For the new intellectuals, Ayn Rand
10/10

Lots of perusing.

I would rate it higher if only it wasn't such a snorefest, talking about the same points over and over again
Was still a great read though

r8 h8 masturb8 to my "reading now" stack?

What do you guys think?

If you like american history i couldn't recommend Revolutionary Summer (ellis) more highly

Its very entertaining, mixes battlefield happenings with the continental congress in a way that really flows well

and its only like 250 pages so its a good "getting back into reading" book

If your more of a fiction guy Blood Meridian would be good, or maybe some vonnegut, pallinuk, or Finney if you want something more lighthearted

>he fell for the alt right meme

Re-reading this one, an interting look at Constantine that goes beyond the impact he had on Church history, and is more of a general biography (does not ignore his leadership roll in the Church, just does not stick to that exclusively.)

In setting the stage for his rise vor power, it also does a good job looking at the rise of Diocletian and the Tetrarchy, and at the reigns of a few emperors before that just for the sake of completeness.

My only real complaint is that it does not follow the story of Constantine's re-unification of Rome through the reigns of his sons adequately.

Haven't read any of them

How was the Sowell book?

I've been thinking about picking up one of his works, despite how much of a faggot hes been over the last couple of months

>computer takes all free time

send help

I don't know about the first book, the constitution of liberty is a long but a worthy read.
Sowell, i don't know tbf. I don't really like his style, his demonstrations are often lacking and dubious but his obversations are still goof. Have not read that book though.

8/10

On classical liberalism I also enjoyed "freedom and the law" by Bruno Leoni

damn, sounds really interesting

i've never really delved into pre-american history, but that does sound like an interesting time period to focus on, despite the lack of the re-unification period you mentioned

I prefer non-fiction because I feel like there is more that I can take away from the experience. I do like American history, and I love being knowledgeable about significant world events. I'll see if I can pick it up from a library this afternoon. Thanks user.

>the communist manifesto
>I don't know how to rate that

Rate it "misfiled under Non Fiction."

How to Be Victorian just kind of details how the Brits lived, dressed, woke up, made food, etc. back in the Victorian era. It's pretty cool because the author tries all the methods out and reports how they work; one example being brushing her teeth with ground up cuttlefish. I picked it up because I read on here that the Victorian era was free of a lot of degeneracy and there were distinct gender roles.

Hayek is top-tier for sure. Definitely a lot of his arguments can be applied to fight leftism today.

Sowell is good. He writes in a very straightforward way. I read it for the title essay, "Black Rednecks & White Liberals". There are like 5 other essays in there; one on the Jews too.

I'll check out that book by Leoni.

I've only read the first two essays in the Sowell book. I r8 7/10. He ignores a lot of potential genetic arguments, but I guess when discussing history genetics is moot.

History of the Peloponnesian War
With Fire and Sword
Anthem

I've kind of sucked at reading this year.

>I prefer non-fiction because I feel like there is more that I can take away from the experience

I feel the exact same way

I promise you'll enjoy it, there were alot of things I took away from the book that i was completely unaware of before i read it

>Knowltons rangers vs the british highlanders&hessians in the battle of harlem heights

Get ready for some serious patriotic feels at different parts
>Rate it "misfiled under Non Fiction."

the thucydides one? How was it?

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Sup Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

I honestly thought this was Sowell's best book

If you asre not familiar with the perior, I would not start there. Start with some history of the late Republic and the rise of the Empire.

I'd recommend Everitt's "Cicero," Holland's "Rubicon," and Goldsworthy's "Augustus as a good place to start with Rome. From there you can go back and pick up Marius/Sulla, or move forward into the Empire.

Another one you might like is ":Rome's Last Citizen" by Goodman and Soni, a biography of Cato the Youner who was the last uncompromising total ass-hole complete prig defending the Republic from Caesar -- a complicated guy who lived an interesting life.

I tend to approach Roman history through biography, that seems to work well for me, but maybe that's just me -- I'm not a "memorize dates" guy, I want to learn about the people.

On the fiction side, "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" are very good, though heavily slanted towards a point of view that does not seem to me to stand up to scrutiny.

Been reading Atlas Shrugged. I'm a little over halfway through and it's great, also cool how many parallels there are between it and current life.

>Another one you might like is ":Rome's Last Citizen" by Goodman and Soni, a biography of Cato the Youner who was the last uncompromising total ass-hole complete prig defending the Republic from Caesar -- a complicated guy who lived an interesting life

that sounds right up my alley, ill have to see if its at the library near me

>I tend to approach Roman history through biography, that seems to work well for me, but maybe that's just me -- I'm not a "memorize dates" guy, I want to learn about the people.

I feel the same way about American history, thats why i will always prefer ellis's writing to flemmings

He delves more into the character of the men, good and bad aspects, and doesn't take a timeline academic standpoint
>which at times can be confusing as he'll jump forward twenty years and then back 10 in a single paragraph

You forgot to include this in the fiction section. I can't account for its accuracy though because it's been a long while since I last read it

Just started mein kampf, about 50 pages in. This faggot sucks at writing but tries so hard to be intellectual. That's all I've gotten from it so far.

Championship fighting - Jack Dempsey
7/10 more if your are into boxing/history of boxing

Tao of Physics - Capra
8/10 Interesting, but streaches for many of it's conclusions, good read if you enjoy science and eastern philosophy

Does it Matter? - Alan Watts
9/10 this is mainly essays on materialism and wealth also eastern philosophy, the "murder in the kitchen" essay should ring true for any /ck/ folks.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra- Frederick Nietzsche
I sincerely enjoyed this read. As you start reading, it is very compelling and seductive, the reasoning and delivery is exemplary. As you continue and it builds on itself, you realize there is no joy in this book and begin to see the author is a tormented soul far detached from the reality of human discourse. It's basically Sup Forums the book.

Make sure you're not reading one of the edited watered down cucked versions. Most versions of that book are trash

>-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

hmm there should be a Sup Forums reading discussion general

>I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Sup Forums anymore.

i know this feel

Started a year and a half ago when i was working an overnight job

Got fired because got caught reading on camera for 7 hours of my 9 hour shift

Stopped playing vidya entirely, barley spend time with friends anymore

I read 3 quarters of it. Really liked but it gets painfully circle-jerky for like 100 pages

I've got the copie that is translated by Ralph Manheim.

Spice & Wolf
>tfw being weeaboo

>Nietzsche

wew lad

I can't even do it anymore

read beyond good and evil, was one of the more depressing periods in my life

Founding Brothers is dry but fucking fantastic. Another great one is The Secret Knowledge by David Mamet (spelling?) 9/10

I got an audiobook of it for free straightaway from my library. Thanks again friend.

I just saw they started carrying it again at B&N

Is the Mifflin translation shit?

no prob

damn, the audiobooks going to be great

will be chilling when you hit the "i regret that i have but one life to give for my country" section with Nathan Hale

enjoy it m8

Yeah, by Thucydides. It was pretty great. It's tough to read the whole thing at 600 pages and there is a lot of mentioning of minor people, cities, and regions that you won't care about, but there's also some really good parts like the plague of Athens, the siege of Pylos, Sicily expedition, and just anything involving Alcibiades.

Do you remember where the 100ish pages were? I've read some long winded parts so far like D'Anconia's speech discussing the "evil" of money but other than that I haven't seen anything I'd call a circle jerk.

I don't read often as I should but I recently read The Way Of Men by Jack Donovan. Fantastic book, highly recommended to anyone here, especially those who are confused about masculinity.
One of the biggest takeaways from the book for me was the author's explanation of the difference between being a good man and being good at being a man.
I'd give it a 7/10 though because it really falls off towards the end and gets relatively incoherent when compared to the first three quarters.

Sup Forums has had reading discussion attempts but it would usually get over-run by hotwheels commies, or die because no-one had the books readily available for people to jump in
it could work now though with our unified american candidate

Currently reading this one. It's pretty good so far, I'm at the part before lend lease but Britian is overwhelming the US with orders for military goods and equipment and chrysler agreeing to build the M3 Lee in Detroit in early 1941 for england and the US army.

>Founding Brothers is dry but fucking fantastic

True

but I actually threw up from laughing so hard when i got to the section about Jefferson being an anglophobe

>this was at the height of the anti-anglo german poster on Sup Forums

Also the duel will never stop being interesting for me

In hindsight, you could probably just read the interesting bits while reading a summary to get the general idea of what's happening, especially with the speeches/debates.

Reading this now. Its really good.

Yeah, there were many times I wish I could reach into the book pull Nietzsche out and either debate him, or just give him a hug.

Give me some tips, Sup Forums, on how to read faster. For me, 1 hour of reading is 40 pages. Longer if I'm writing notes.

Do any of you keep notes on the books that you read? Rather than using a pen and paper I use a computer file. It's just a simple text file. I would use a program that can format the text, such as a world file, but I like the quick opening of the text file. Word files take so long to open and the program is bulky.

I learned a bit about that stuff when i was working in car sales actually

would like to get further in depth, might have to pick that one up

I'm pretty sure those are the same version and they aren't too bad. If I remember right the biggest issue with that version is him for no reason replacing and substituting the word Jewish in certain passages where hitler uses the word Germans

>Dante's Inferno - 10/10
>Crippled America by Donald Trump - 8/10
>Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal by Ayn Rand - 9/10
>The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli - 9/10
>Arguing With Idiots by Glenn Beck - 6/10
>Taking A Stand by Rand Paul - 8/10

FPFB

> The10,000 year explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I wanted a book that would have basically cataloged all the differences in traits between populations; however, it's more of a book about the theoretical driving forces for human evolution and it showed me concepts I hadn't though of.

>Before the dawn: recovering the lost history of our ancestors

Pretty interesting. Developed a basic understanding of anthropology from it. Looking forward to a troublesome inheritance for some more serious HBD stuff.

>The battle of spain by antonty beevor

Franco was a sly fox and knew how to create a successful coalition/political organization despite being an ok general.

mon nègre.

J'espère juste que tu n'es pas un protestant.

Daily reminder that there are already a list of Sup Forums books. Lot of redpills.

>pic 1/2

>jack donovan

damn, why does that sounds so familiar. WHat else did he write?

speed reading classes were still trendy when i was a kid, but I only do maybe 100 pages an hour on a good day

I don't really think you're doing that bad

I only take notes if necessary

>like with Clintons war on women because i want to educate /tg/ on it

The Bible and Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. Both bretty good.

>pic 2/2

Unless you are reading for work or school, don't bother, it's a hobby at that point. If you ARE only reading for that reason, first, shame, second, either take a speed reading course, or just read for fun more often. I read about three times as fast as anyone I know and it all stems from message boards/bbs/Sup Forums. Been doing it since the dial-up bbs ages.

I also highly recommend this book. It's written by a feminist who hates what feminism has become because it's killing men

>Savitri Devi

>the glass bead game instead of siddartha or steppenwolf

>welcome to the monkey house instead of mother night

why?

I've nerded out this year and only read the Malazan series.

10/10 fantasy books

Taking a stand was great

I can't even image what reading a glenn beck book must be like

>Napoleon Hill
>48 laws of power
How are those books? Sounds like memes to me, I mean it's the type of things that I believe you learn from experience, not books.

Also requesting opinion on "the three meters zone", is it even worth it? Shit is kinda pricey for what it is.

hold the phone

wasn't summers the woman who did the university thing with milo and crowder?

Yessir. she's the feminist who absolutely triggers other feminists and she thinks safe spaces are for retards

and also on Lee Kuan Jew memoirs if anyone has read it

/tg/ is pro trump? I left because the PC police were getting too much traction. Can I finally return to my home?

shes fantastic, will definitely need to add her to the list

she even held her own banter-wise with two men whos jobs are essentially just bantering

I've read 34 books this year, and a macroeconomics textbook. The most entertaining were The Golden Ass and Fortress Besieged. The only undeniably shit book was Moravagine. Political books mostly pertained to classical liberalism, and libertarianism; of those I most recommend Socialism by Ludwig Von Mises, and his polemic The Anti-Capitalist Mentality. Next to read is A Nation In Waiting (a book about contemporary Indonesia), and I'd also like to read Economists with Guns --one of my best friends is Indonesia, that's why I'm interested in such an insignificant country.

/tg/=Trumpgeneral

sorry to get your hopes up famm :^(

/tg/ (the board) is still a shithole

Thanks for your input user. WhIle I read I sometimes replace the word "german" with "american" and holy fuck it's like the Germany/Austria hitler grew up in, is the America I'm living in.

Is there any way to know when I stumble upon these shinanigans?

It's ok, I should have known better.

wew same here, been wanting to read up on that for a while
Anyway, I read some essentials, basically just the whole Sup Forums approved reading list
>Atlas Shrugged
>Guns, Germs and Steel
>How to win Friends and Influence People
>Il Duce
>The Way of Men
>From those wonderful folks who gave you Pearl Harbor
>Generation Identity
Reading "For a new Liberty" atm desu

I read Economists with guns right after college when i was in my heavy duty cold war phase

You will not be disappointed

Bumping for knowledge

I read all quiet on the western front recently

:) I love you

I haven't read her other book but I know it also triggers tumblr because she calls out the bullshit rape statistics. Can anyone who's read it recommend?

>guns germans and steel
>Sup Forums approved

topkek. That book is complete pseudoscience.