John Carpenter

What's his best movie?

>inb4 The Thing

escape from LA.

just kidding, it's obviously The Thing

they live

The Thing.

Starman

In the mouth of madness is strangely underrated. Although, I'd still go for The Thing.

i've only watched his stuff through Big Trouble in Little China but that or The Thing seem like the most obvious answers

>In the mouth of madness is strangely underrated.
It turns into a mess in the second act. Fine movie, not great by any standard.

at least we can all agree that it's not Halloween

A lot of good films lose their gumption in the second act, I just think it's one of Carp's better creations.

Cigarette Burns is a decent watch, not great but if you're a fan check it out.

Might be his 3rd best or 4th best.

99% of any other filmmakers only wish they could make a horror movie that good, though.

When I watched it I was very underwhelmed unfortunately. Not trying to throw shade on the movie, it's just that I felt I had already seen it I guess because it was so influential.

The Fog holds up much better imo

I understand. I did watch it when i was like 12 and hadn't seen much movies yet so most crap afterwards felt bland in comparison.

The Thing
Big T in Little C
They Live
Halloween
Prince Of Darkness
Escape From NY
In The Mouth Of Madness
The Fog
Assault on Precinct 13
Christine
Starman
Dark Star

He was a little late and didn't do better than Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but that first Michael Myers where he was just this insane weirdo out to kill you is a great concept. Better than "nosy kids nose their way into being dead"

Ooh, that's tough.

I think structurally, Escape from New York and Big Trouble are his best movies in terms of pacing and complete narrative.

Effects-wise, it's clearly The Thing.

For mood and atmosphere, Escape from NY and The Fog do a great deal with not a whole lot.

He's one of the best modern american filmmakers imo; it's a shame a number of his projects either get besot with problems in their second acts (sorta weak second halves of Prince and Mouth, for example), or his knockouts never got any deserved success (sans Halloween).

Its Dark Star you fucking plebes

Christine is pretty fucking good effects wise lad.

Assault on Precinct 13 is his most accomplished work as a filmmaker next to The Thing, though it doesn't have many reddit-friendly elements so doesn't get that much attention.

The Thing. And not because you really wanted your (You)s, but because IT actually IS Carpenter's best. The only other acceptable answer is Big Trouble in Little China.

It's actually Starman, the only film from John Carpenter to receive a nomination for an academy award.

my top ten:

1) Escape from New York
2) Halloween
3) The Thing
4) They Live
5) Assault on Precinct 13
6) Starman
7) The Fog
8) Christine
9) In the Mouth of Madness
10) Dark Star