/Prod/

L O U D Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (mostly talentless hack who explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (mostly talentless hack who explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Good resource for getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/mountkimbie/10-mayor
clyp.it/qvnkal4x
clyp.it/dg042awx
clyp.it/nqi525l0#
clyp.it/u5wvb15z
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwFmp5yPUtlsNndFc0hqY0hGbE0/view?usp=sharing
mega.nz/#!xtUgVBoL!o5DgQqPS3pmBBxs_cH7rqM_FNymTV-ZxDDo-uAvbxcc
mega.nz/#!Vw8TQJxA!vh79_99JFlU-8obHMyz6a24TKI81rkzG892356aqYts
clyp.it/a2vn4j3n
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone here produce rock music?

>Anyone here produce rock music?
t. this guy

>grab bass to practice a song i'm wanting to cover
>play song a few times
>a few times technique start getting real sloppy and stop doing inspired lines
>try to play exercises to a metronome and fall asleep

who else /del/

you must be new here, ive been shilling my reaper rock covers here for an year now

what the fuck thats not ableton

I tried producing electronic music in REAPER for like a month but it's just a giant pain in the ass. I downloaded I don't know how many VSTs trying to replicate all of the functionality it's missing from DAWs like Ableton, and it still wasn't as functional.

It's definitely got some awesome features, and I can see why it's popular with recording artists. Definitely not a DAW for me, though. I get so much more done, and done faster, with Ableton.

I'm usually in the gg threads. How do you like Reaper?

i spent some time in all the different major DAWs and for some reason just liked reaper the most. however, im not a producer, i just like to fuck around with hardware. and every now and then i end up mixing and mastering a song. pic related

>little stickers showing what notes are where
wish i had thought of that.
i went at it with a knife and a chisel, carved the notes into the plastic because the whiteboard pen i used just rubbed off really fast..

Just learn the notes you tards

wow

yeah maybe i should like put little stickers on the notes so that after a while i'll know them by heart or something you fucking pea brain

There is no need for stickers. Just lean where C is and the rest will follow. I'm mostly calling the other guy a tard to because HE FUCKING CHISLED THE NOTES INTO HIS KEYBOARD

was 2 slow 2 make op with this pic, but everyone needs an 808 or at least samples

>808
I don't really like them They are so overused that I'd rather hear almost any other drum machine at this point.

>I downloaded I don't know how many VSTs trying to replicate all of the functionality it's missing from DAWs like Ableton, and it still wasn't as functional
what funcionalities?

>retarded
hahahaha retarded

i shill in there too
a lot, its very lightweight, very easy to edit clips... i like it better than cubase

>what funcionalities?
Simpler/Sampler, in particular. REAPER's included sampler isn't even a sampler, it's just a sample player. So you're going to need a third party sampler and even then, it won't be as integrated as Simpler/Sampler is with Ableton.

Add to that all of the great effects Ableton comes with. I'm consistently surprised by how good Ableton's included effects are. REAPER includes very few effects plugins, although the ones it does have are generally quite good.

I don't think REAPER is a bad DAW, and it's obviously much cheaper than Ableton, but Ableton's price is justified by how much stuff is included with it. Ableton's workflow is just much quicker for me, too.

I think the thing with Reaper is that it's meant for actuall musicians

can i live

Must have been stolen

Yep. Reaper isn't for recording and looping patterns really. It's for laying down tracks.

this makes me very angry

>mfw I bought a minibrute instead of the micro because it was supposed to be better
>mfw I'm getting into modular and I don't have the micro's patchbay

This image makes me unreasonably mad

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you deserve suffering

actually it loops stuff pretty well, you just drag the item like youd do when you stretch it (with just the mouse, no alt or ctrl pressed) and it will repeat the clip/midiclip

giant dicks

please STOP

that looks bad

quality post

Can’t afford an 808.

Wave alchemy have a very nice 808 drum emulation though. I usually just use samples. I can usually just about get a whole kit on one floppy disk

>tfw you have absolutely zero experience with prod but you still admire really REALLY good production
>ywn make a track with crisp production like this
soundcloud.com/mountkimbie/10-mayor

Is it just me or does a lot of the older produced albums sound better?

So I've finally gotten to the point where my sequencer is working flawlessly in Excel, and I'm moving on to envelopes. Obviously one of the most basic envelopes there is would be for filter cutoff, but I still for the life of me can not figure out how to mathematically filter a signal. If anyone here can tell me how to look at an array of numbers that only go from -1 to 1, and filter them by frequency, I would give you all of my love. I understand doing a DFT, but for fucks sake theres gotta be an easier way than doing two separate Fourier Transforms with a fuckload of harmonics constantly to just filter out parts of a signal

what do you think about limiting vs intentional clippin? most modern music seems to be carefully clipped, how would you go about this, any tips?
ill just let the master clip and just use g-clip for a little softclip and than maybe round it a bit of with izotope to get rid of artefacts.

any ideas?

To all the """producers""" here: You can't do shit. I am an actual artist and going to change and mix shit with different samples etc to make not full songs, but whole albums that include bridges, intros, outros and many different technique's to approach the samples I find. To me it's disgusting how you wannabe artists come here, take three seconds from Blue Shift Emissions for a loop and think you're the shit. You are nothing.

Oh shit. I never knew that

epic, simply epic

I almost always reach for the soft saturation in Maximus before limiting. Sometimes even on the master

depends on the music. prog rock albums sounded probably better in the 70s

the moment you go anonymous you start shitposting, right?

what the fuck? is this a joke you go around bragging about shit and thinking youre an actual musician while everything you do is sample shit? i make songs by playing a instruments and actually programming drums, you dont do shit but playing with daw-toys.

fuck that, synthesize your own drum sounds from scratch

Is the terrible writing part of the joke too, or are you just dumb?

Where can I find midi instruments compatible with Abelton Lite 9?
I downloaded a few .99 cent packs and most of them use effects that are paywalled by Lite 9.

wow so well produced you're right

Nope. I only use LinnDrum

Loudness war. Everything has the dynamic range crushed down until the waveform looks like a fucking square.

It's hilarious that people spend big money to have their albums mastered by people like Rick Rubin, whose entire mastering process appears to be "TURN UP THE MASTER FADER ALL THE WAY!"

I THINK I CAN STILL HEAR SOME DYNAMICS, PUSH THE LIMITER HARDER

I'd just pirate Suite and avoid all the headaches.

It sounds very clean for the following reasons:

>Good sound selection
Having a good ear to choose good-sounding sounds from the start is the single biggest factor in most cases

>Simple arrangement
Notice how there's little going on at the same time?
It's easier to mix when you've composed the song with clarity in mind from the very beginning.
Good producers rarely compose music with conflicting elements in the first place with the intention of fixing them later.

>Good mixing and mastering
This is just the product of time spent doing it to develop an ear and an intuition of what needs to be changed to sound good.
It applies to polishing the individual sounds and to the actual mixing and mastering process (the latter is likely done by a professional who's only done this for many years, and maybe even the mixing).

>Good composition
If you know how to compose each individual element so that it attracts your attention at the right time, the listener's brain will know how to focus on the right stuff while keeping the rest as "background", which helps a lot in giving a feel of clarity (as opposed to having two elements fighting for attention, which our brain sees as a mess).
This is also done with the help of mixing.

Just take your time and focus on practicing the abovementioned points, and in a few years you'll sound as clean as the cleanest producers you know.
It's not unachievable at all. Especially with non-cluttered music like this.

Goddamn that image triggers the shit out of me every time...

ty for the tips, kind user

Eh.... lack of mixing and mastering....

starving? LANDR....

Just adhere to the -6 db peak.

indeed..... works for 99% of the nonsense floating amongst the clouds of sound...

Scrimshaw WAITS.

Recording a full orchestra and 70-member choir in concert tonight. Rigged up a Decca Tree for the job. Trying to balance the two ensembles is difficult without using spot mics on the choir, but when I add them it just seems to muddy up the high end and I lose some of the depth of the stereo image. If I could multitrack in the field I could fix things in post, but I'm stuck with having to mix on site and record directly to stereo. What do?

clyp.it/qvnkal4x

No problem my friend.

Max/MSP question:

Does anyone know if there's a difference between using a normal cord and [send]/[receive] objects to send data, in terms of CPU hit?
I tried googling but only found stuff about latency.

Pic related.

Thank you very much in advance.

I'M SO BAD AT STAYING ON BEAT EVEN WITH A METRONOME

practice practice practice

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quantization, friendo.

>tweeting on Sup Forums
Kek

I've seen that shit posted here like 5 times now, and people fall for it every damn time

This thing has some lush effects yo

How do bands like Lighting Bolt mix their stuff? Do they compress a lot because its so loud? How these noise rock bands keep from making their shit a muddy muddled mess

what is noise rock or lightnin bolt

eq lad

hows this mix pls
clyp.it/dg042awx

with my usual master processing, even though theres no vocals and guitar solo yet

i have a question. where is a mastered track supposed to peak, for digital? close to 0dB? -3dB? -6dB?

i know i have to make them quieter for soundcloud, but do i have to make extra masters for each platform?

and if i upload wav files to bandcamp, do i have to make them -1.4dB cause i heard converting tracks to mp3 makes them louder.

>i know i have to make them quieter for soundcloud
is that a known fact?
huh it explains why all my soundcloud tracks sound distorted and lowbitrate
i limit my stuff to -0.4 to -0-1, except when its a quiet track on purpose

Yeah i write punk rock music.
clyp.it/nqi525l0#
clyp.it/u5wvb15z

good question

what is the best lossy codec?

The teenager in me likes it, but dude, get a better drum set.

MP3 duh

this is good

i thought Vbr AAC

*Drum lessons
I have a drum set i just cant play it cause my hand eye coordination is lacking a bit for that instrument.

The drums are just single shot samples i got and arranged.

why not just torrent superior drummer lol

i can never find a good link to that among other vst's i really want

cheers

ogg is the right answer

i used to have a sample folder that was like, "classic drum samples" and it came with a million folders like 808, 909 and so on. all the essentials. anyone got an idea where i could torrent this again?

>mfw have to make a 1,5 minute guitar solo for a song recording
ive been delaying this for literally an year now
i figured ill record multiple improvised takes then put the best parts together on the daw (paying attention to the structure of course) and then record that
i wish i had done this before, when i was more hyped with it and the lead ideas were clearer on my mind

Yeah it was like Drum Machines.zip right? drive.google.com/file/d/0BwFmp5yPUtlsNndFc0hqY0hGbE0/view?usp=sharing

Audionews

Thanks user.

I was asking for advice, you dolt. Evidently I came to the wrong thread.

Hey that's actually pretty smart. Associating notes with color is probably a useful learning tool, as the link with the visual part of the brain allows additional brainpower to be used for music. And it probably helps with visualizing your guitar playing.

Korg Electribe ES-1 mkII

mega.nz/#!xtUgVBoL!o5DgQqPS3pmBBxs_cH7rqM_FNymTV-ZxDDo-uAvbxcc

Done a new sampler rip, even renamed all the 00.wav 01.wav etc conversions to their proper names from the manual.

Produced in 2000 and full of drums, vinyl scratches, sound effects, some synth/bass one-shots, vocal snippets, etc. You'll recognize several samples due to its use by Nine Inch Nails, The Crystal Method, A Guy Called Gerald, Mouse On Mars, Dead Silence, Praxis, The Prodigy, Crystal Distortion, Freddy Fresh, and the Chemical Brothers. Even has the speak and spell vocal sample used in Sticky Fingaz's Let's Do It.

And the older rip from last week:

E-mu Drumulator - All kits (Standard, Electronic, African, Rock, Alternative, etc)

mega.nz/#!Vw8TQJxA!vh79_99JFlU-8obHMyz6a24TKI81rkzG892356aqYts

Converted straight from the EPROM dumps, combine with Emu SP-12 samples from for some choice 80s kits.

Hope to hear what you all come up with!

thanks brother

I learned the notes after I adopted the 2 black 3 black key pattern as my method of orientation. The note under the 2 black keys is C, under the 3 black keys is F, then the mental mapping filled out from there.

Does anyone want to collaborate? The only thing I'm good at is songwriting (´・ω・`)

clyp.it/a2vn4j3n

Any thoughts or critiques on this song? I imagine it in Silent Hill 2.

My god he's done it again

Ty based user

what other drum machines do you have

None, I just hunt down firmware dumps and convert those so I know I'm getting the cleanest samples and not some digital to analog -> analog to digital conversion with added noise and such. I do it myself to know it's done right.