George Lucas butthurt

I don't understand one thing. George Lucas seems pretty buthurt with the result of the Episode 7 and because Disney didn't take his ideas. But, why did he sell the rights to Disney then? Why if he wanted to do the final trilogy as some interviews of the past reveal that he always wanted to do three trilogies, why then you sell the rights to Disney, why you don't just make the movies as you always wanted.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hQVlRgFlU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4yU44Xk5fFI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seller's remorse?

He was tired and people obviously weren't very happy with his prequels.

He had to call it a day at some point.

He was tired of people throwing insults at him and villifying him. He just wanted to get rid of it and had an unofficial agreement that he would be a special advisor in the upcoming films. Disney promptly dropped lucas like. Sack of potatoes and he got depressed.

Ironic thing is that george actually cared about star wars and pushing the bounds of technology in cinema. ILM had dobe a lot of other projects besides star wars between trilogies and were real innovators. Its almost tragic what happened to george

George cared about pushing shitty merch at the expense of his films, don't even begin to pretend like the billion dollar man has been wronged. IUf he cared more about his legacy than money he wouldn't be in this situation.

He sold it to the best of the bunch and not even they could create something unique with all the money they have.

I don't have much pity for him, because in the end he'll be revered for his master world building and pushing tech boundaries.
He's got billions and no one gives a shit about people that complain about the prequels, because they'll complain louder about the Disney Star Wars shit releasing twice a year

I think this user has the right idea, in the end disney will save his legacy by running the universe into the ground

This. He's the anti-midas.

Everything he's since Star Wars has been garbage.

Look at Red Tails for fuck's sake.

People finally became okay with JarJar becoming the meme master sithlord and Lucas shit himself so hard he started throwing numbers at Disney. Disney plans on sells Tumblr a safespace movie and that also probably triggers him.

He was too fucking lazy to make Episode 7. Just look at his style when he was directing the Prequels. Always sitting and using cgi for everything.

what do you call that neck?

Jealousy, user.

I know that it has recently become cool to hate on Episode 7, but at the time it was released, all anyone could say about it was how it "redeemed Star Wars after the prequels" and how much "better" it was than the prequels. Regardless of how Sup Forums feels about Abrams and TFA, there are a lot of people out there who liked the movie and thought it was a step in the right direction from the prequels.

More than anything, I think this is what hurt George's feelings the most. Sure, he probably took offense that they scrapped his ideas, but I think what really got him was hearing (once again) how many people despised the prequels and how those same people feel like Disney made a better Star Wars movie than he did. Deep down, he was probably hoping that TFA would crash and burn like his prequels. I think he was hoping that he would feel some vindication watching a Disney-made Star Wars film flop.

But that's not what happened

TFA is trash though. People who like it are idiots.

Think bigger dumbshit.

He sold LUCASFILM. A company was stagnating under his retirement, employees needed to be paid and have a purpose in their work. Good and bad have come of this.
Grim Fandango got remastered, Indiana Jones gets a new trilogy.

>Jealousy, user.
Kek. Yeah, Georgie boy is the jealous one.

his neck scares me

that'll only cause Lucas to be more butthurt that he let a "good" thing go

Also, the City of Chicago did not let him build his museum on Lakefront property.

He'll be dead before the formula burns itself out, if disney has shown anything it has shown it can sustain a brand.

his legacy Resurrection won't happen till after he's dead and we look back at what happened after he sold it.

They've had brand for nearly 5 years now and they've done nothing great with it so they'll try to churn as much cash out of it as they can being as safe as they can and people will hate them for it.

(((Disney))) convinced him that if he sold his franchise, he would still have creative overview of the films. They lied.
With toydarians you losian.

don't forget it's just the total stigma around it. Star Wars is just Le Nerdy XD. I don't see the brand dying anytime soon.

Maybe they should have tried to create their own plot instead of just rehashing the old one if they wanted to create something truly unique.

Episode 7 had a lot of CGI but it did have some inspired shots.

They did use some of his ideas he talked about in the 80's though.
Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered because he changed his mind so much.

me too thanks

I'm so sorry George, I knew RLM was part of the Disney scheme to bully you to sell the Star Wars franchise

Serves him right for selling out in the first place.

Easy answer to anybody who isn't retarded is RETIREMENT. Man's old, what's he need his company for? Is he going to give it to his loser son?

Meme answer is that he gave the 'fans' what they wanted. Maybe he knew Disney would fuck it up and that he'd be remembered better after people saw what a TRULY soulless Star Wars movie looks like. inb4 people cite the same critics who call Avengers 2 'a moving cinematic experience' as proof TFA wasn't shit.

>to do it right would take 10 years
HA! Up yours old man! We'll do it half the time >:) oh... by the way we're going to copy A New Hope and whatever else we feel like. Aren't we smart?

Dude's old. How long do you people think he could go on making movies? When you are 70+, if you are still alive, wiping your ass will likely be exhausting.

But to answer OP's question, he was offered billions and was lied to and told he could help shape the narratives of the upcoming sequels. After he signed the contracts, Disney in so many words told him to fuck off. He is salty as fuck about it now.
>I sold my franchise for billions and can't still be in control. Reeeeee!!!!

What do you think Mark Hamill's final thoughts will be about this Disney trilogy?

He has every right to be bitter. They fucking rehashed Star Wars IV. Everyone's tapdancing about it while he's still getting shat on.

>Who gives a shit, I'm not in the poor house anymore

He should have thought of that before he signed on the dotted line in exchange for billions. When you sell something, it is no longer yours and the buyer can do what they want. If he wasn't retarded, he would have known this was going to happen.

He has the right to be bitter, but he is also retarded for being bitter.

He's probably just happy to have that cameo. Apparently he was thrilled to hear he even got a part.

Because 4 billion dollars. That's why.

>you will never incept Daisy's mind to have her come out and admit how soulless TFA is
Just imagine how hard that would beat down Mickey Mouse. Would that mean we'd get more Kylo and less Rey Sue?

>George Lucas seems pretty buthurt with the result of the Episode 7 and because Disney didn't take his ideas.
Episode 7 is objectively a pile of shit. Even worst than the prequels.

>But, why did he sell the rights to Disney then?
Shekels.

>I know that it has recently become cool to hate on Episode 7,
You could realize it was shit as you were watching it for the first time user. It is a bad film with good visuals, from the beginning until they found Han Solo, then it became a shitfest.

>but at the time it was released, all anyone could say about it was how it "redeemed Star Wars after the prequels" and how much "better" it was than the prequels.
LOL No.

What's there to understand?

The new movie has none of the weird creative decisions Lucas integrated in his movies.

George wasn't a good director. That's fact, and of course he's going to be upset when someone threatens to upstage him.

Say what you want about 1-3 but at least they didn't feel like direct copies of 4-6.

At least they were always their OWN thing, and I'd rather watch a creative disaster than almost scene-for-scene copy.

At this point I consider myself a genuine Lucas-apologist though. It's gotten to the point where I can watch the prequels and actually enjoy them.

I actually agree with this. Lucas creative vision was fucking insane but at least it was "George"
Like you knew when you walked into the theater you were going to see something bizarre and original but not original. Now it's just copy paste.

>At this point I consider myself a genuine Lucas-apologist though. It's gotten to the point where I can watch the prequels and actually enjoy them.
Yeah I have a hunch Rogue One and TFA will give me perspective to enjoy the prequels. Actually, I haven't seen the prequels in 10 years. I enjoyed them then.

If you rewatch them, you might conclude the same thing me and a few others ITT:

These are movies that are very different in tone, and style, but aren't directly bad.

They've gotten a bad wrap for some cringey character-dialogue, but the originals were just as bad in this regard and for some reason everyone lets those slide with it.

They're not incredibly good movies, but they're a fun twist from the original formula that have a few really god-like scenes.

I mean fucking look at this and tell me it isn't 10/10: youtube.com/watch?v=4yU44Xk5fFI

Sure it's nothing like the originals, but that's kinda' what makes it so cool.

Lucas has always been a guy fascinated with technology. When he still had enthusiasm, he was able to write and direct neat movies. But it was clear after writing three years of Star Wars, that he just didn't like it (as he said so himself). American Graffity also only was created because of a bet he made with a friend of his.

His short films were always abstract, sounds of different machines, cars. He has a weird fascination with such things, may it sound autistic or not.

After having been as successful with Star Wars as it was, and also having lacked the enthusiasm and motivation to really do this shit again (that film must have really frustrated him, which probably led down his path of not wanting to direct [and also write] anymore), which is why he gave the films to other directors.
I can see how the audience's perception of him would change him over the years. Especially after a few failures after Star Wars. He still is a filmmaker, after all, so of course he would want to do movies. And trying to prove himself he could still do it, kind of, by creating the prequels.
I can see that money was obviously also the reason, but not first and foremost. He probably used the movies as well to further advance technology and whatnot.
I can see TCW being used to give his daughter some kind of career, as well as plainly milking the franchise any further to get money and money and some more money.

It does suck in any case, for him, because he lacks passion because of the one movie that made him really rich and famous. I can see why he would try to move away from it. Move away from filmmaking altogether, especially after another failure of his with a plane movie.
He still loved Star Wars and probably doesn't like that he got fucked over as a consultant since that meant his opinion as a filmmaker, creator, writer was worthless to them. And because Star Wars still was his child, after all.
The guy is totally done by now. He's probably buttblasted to share Indy with Spielberg.

Where's those small personal sci-fi movies Lucas?