Why did Tales from Topographic Oceans receive so much hate back then?

Why did Tales from Topographic Oceans receive so much hate back then?

Because Yes sucks.

Go back to listen to Kanye West or something.

butthurt poptimists think prog isn't brainless enough

not sure. but its up there with their best work. did it receive mostly negative reviews when it first came out?

It's universally known as the point where prog rock 'went too far', and crossed the line into pretentiousness. (Even tho ELP had long before)

I've actually never listened to it before, see you in an hour

It's like Rush but with shitty arrangements.

This: Anyway, it's a nice record, though I still prefer Relayer or Close to the Edge.

I'm a Prog fan, but this was just 2pretentious4me

this is wanky as fuck but I like it so far, 45 minutes in

lul newpipe crashed but I'd still rate it a decent 7 minimum

It's in Yes' top 3 for sure

If you actually look at the structure of the songs and compare that to Close to the Edge, it does very little. They really needed to scale back. This would seem like nitpicking with any other band, but you have to understand that Close to the Edge put them on a higher musical plain than someone like ELP. They had the common sense to scale back on Relayer, but they should have done that here, before they had a strike against them.

It doesn't have Bill Bruford on drums. He really was the soul of Yes.

In light of all the protopunk and jazz fusion albums that came out during that time period it was probably seen as extremely pretentious or something.

Because rock critics were and still are rock critics. And as we all know, rock criticism has always relied on emotional descriptors and persuasions to adopt a particular reviewer's taste in music. One of the crowning achievements of rock music didn't get listened to by those who wanted to pan it. Jon Anderson was even sabotaged and by their own recording engineer. I say, pay no attention to the supposed reviews and experience the album for yourself.

This is the answer all of you really deserve:

please leave

DUDE CBGB'S LMAO

What?