If you had to as objectively as possible try to select the greatest album of all time, what would you pick?

If you had to as objectively as possible try to select the greatest album of all time, what would you pick?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uh85lplBqdU
youtube.com/watch?v=y4P4plYXKFE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i wouldn't, I haven't heard even 1% of all recorded music

Trout Mask Replica obviously
It's obviously within the scope of your experience, autist

>It's obviously within the scope of your experience, autist
then that wouldn't be objectively the greatest album of all time, it would be inherently subjective

the shape of punk to come

as is, i have no idea

however I believe that if SMiLE was 100% completed either in 1967 or in 2011 with all the original records + missing sections that weren't finished until 2004 in the brian wilson album, it would be the greatest album of all time by a country mile

>as objectively as possible
>as possible

can you read faggot?

>then that wouldn't be objectively the greatest album of all time, it would be inherently subjective
Captain obvious much? Maybe if it rephrased for you:

Among the albums you've listened to, which album do you hold in the highest regard?

Not to be captain autistic, but I'm going to assume your rubric for grading is weighted towards the album that had the strongest cultural impact on as many people as possible rather than technical impressiveness or physical prowess of the players; otherwise we would be here the rest of our lives.

Well damn, I love Kraftwerk

>Not to be captain autistic, but...
>*a bunch of autistic bullshit*

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

oh then subjectively
pic related for me

fuck mike love
nice numbers

It would be either
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
or
Faust - Faust

Transformer and Paris 1919 are both better than anything the Velvet Underground put out as a group

See? It's not hard

>There's a frog in his post

Alright, sweetie, let's getcha outta that diaper and talcum your widdle booty so you don't chafe from the pee pee

What? No.

The Marble Index and Desertshore on the other hand...

Desertshore too

it's just confusing when someone asks for an objective choice and then changes his mind to asking for a subjective choice

Wrong.
TVU&N is one of the few albums that I can say is a good confidante for best album of all time, and it's not even in my top 50.

It would have to be either pic related, or based on what he said about cultural impact.

Thriller is one of the most popular albums of all time, and to me ITCOTCK is a masterpiece compared to the likes of orchestral symphonies by Beethoven, Mozart, etc.

Basically, what's meant is an album that while not your personal favorite, or may not hold a deep significance to you, it's an album that you recognize is inherently excellent and carries immense artistic merit, more so than any other album you are aware of.

Since nobody is in the capability of giving an objective, all encompassing answer on this topic, it should be understood a subjective answer is expected.

Christ...

le objectivity meme

blues, prog, psych, pop, ambient, electronic, its all here and all sounds perfect

I love ITCOTCK but vastly prefer Beat, TOAPP and Discipline era Crimson.. Levin, Belew, Bruford and Fripp were the best lineup.

>to me ITCOTCK is a masterpiece compared to the likes of orchestral symphonies by Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
Cringed hard at that

then why even include "objective" in the OP? seems odd

Sail Away and Good Old Boys by Randy Newman

Objectively "as possible". What I understand from that is what said

This but that's the easy answer.

I'd say OK Computer, as it is impossible to severely dislike and easy to absolutely love to death.

not him but I don't think you can be objective about what holds "immense artistic merit"

Eno's "Taking Tiger Mountain", "Here Come the Warm Jets", "Another Green World", "Before and After Science" series.

also The Stooges' Fun House

Maybe not. I couuld say TMR, but it is also an album I enjoy. It's probably difficult to recognize artistic merit in music you hate. For example, I hate "technical" metal so even though I know it features really virtuous musicians and all of that, it's shit to me

Actually comparing KC to Beethoven like they were fucking contemporaries or something

Objectivity is nothing other than integrated, aggregated subjectivity

It is all subjectivity

Post your favorite album, is what you asked, OP

Mine is this:
youtube.com/watch?v=uh85lplBqdU

>Objectivity is nothing other than integrated, aggregated subjectivity
pretty good way to put it. it's really annoying when people act otherwise

youtube.com/watch?v=y4P4plYXKFE

not even objectively the best Metallica album

Yeah
Also Thriller in my opinion is a fucking masterpiece
Trans Europa Express too

Well this kind of devolved into a "what's your favorite album?" thread, so I threw it up there.

>not the best metallica album
How do you figure?

Its not as well produced as Ride the Lightning, its not as well written as Master of Puppets, and its not as front to back God-Tier Thrash as Kill em' All. Do I need say more?

>awful shit production
>pointlessly long songs
>no Cliff
RtL is the best Metallica

Agreed on everything except RtL being the best album. MoP has the most depth

>Not as well produced as lightning
To me JFA sounds a lot cleaner than lightning

>Not as well written as puppets
We can agree on that, but puppets begins to enter campy territory for me, while Justice maintained just enough thrashyness/rawness.

>Kill em all
>God tier
I can appreciate the significance of the record, but you can tell it's a teenager's garage band

>Shit production
If you mean the mixing, yeah, I dont love the mixing
>Long songs
No arguments

>Implying cliff burton was anything more than a B list bassist who happen to die, and get catapulted into a Cobain state of "RIP! Music will never be the same!"

>JFA sounds a lot cleaner than lightning
You cannot try and tell me that any song on lightning sounds more muddied and poorly mixed as Eye Of The Beholder. That song sounds like a robot mixed it to sound like a metal song.

>Justice maintained just enough thrasyness/rawness
I think Blackened and Harvester of Sorrow are just as campy as anything on MoP.

>a teenager's garage band
Yeah, in all fairness you got me there.

For Rock and Roll, pic related is The Rolling Stone's one true masterpiece.

Is it weird that i like Second Coming better?

actually just this though

>We can agree on that, but puppets begins to enter campy territory for me, while Justice maintained just enough thrashyness/rawness.
AJFA is darker than Master but it's still goofy and overwrought in exactly the same ways

>I can appreciate the significance of the record, but you can tell it's a teenager's garage band
It sounds a bit amateurish but that's not really a bad thing and it has way more consistent energy than Metallica's later work

>Implying cliff burton was anything more than a B list bassist who happen to die, and get catapulted into a Cobain state of "RIP! Music will never be the same!"
Go listen to Anesthesia again. Cliff is easily a better musician than either Lars or Kirk. His full ability is rarely used in Metallica's songs but without him the band definitely lost some of their creative edge

Eye of the beholder is definitely a dark spot on the record.
>Blackened/Harvester; campy
When I said campy I meant poppy. Puppets just doesnt sound as metallica-y as Justice to me.
Blackened is a metallica track, through and through.

I like MOP. A lot.
But I dont love Puppets for the same reason I feel meh about the black album. It seems too polished, and doesnt seem Metallica to the core, like Justice and Lightning do.

>meme album with songs that range from 2/10 to 10/10
>implying bad and off the wall aren't objectively better
dadrock

>When I said campy I meant poppy
Yeah I guess I see you could see MoP as being more poppy than JFA. But I don't think poppy means worse, just more accessible. Another reason I can say MoP is better than JFA is its accessibility. It has the advantage of being fun and enjoyable while reaching a depth deeper than Ride. Sure Justice is a more complex album to an extent, but it doesn't reach that perfect mix of accessibility and depth that MoP reaches.

>using dadrock as an adjective
>the absolute plebbitry

>More poppy doesnt mean worse
Absolutely. If that were the case I'd harken Kill em all as their best album.

>Perfect mix of accessibility and depth.
I can certainly see that. I just happen to rate their albums on a different balance, one of roughness vs. sterility

Kill em all, for instance, is almost completely unpolished, while the black album is almost completely sterile.

Need sleep. Good talking to you man.

You folks have a good night.

Have a good one man.

But that's not Bitches Brew

Flamenco Sketches is the superior Miles Davis album

sorry I'm retarded I mean Sketches of Spain

Runner up being DSOTM

the only right answer

Some rendition of the Goldberg Variations or The Art of Fugue, preferably on period instruments

Loveless. Absolutely.

boring as fuck

Just because you're too brainlet to understand words doesn't make it autistic

bump

>every song sounds the same
>every song is extremely repetitive and often extends past 5 minutes
>lyrics are indistinguishable and crappy

It's tough. I'd say Highway 61 Revisited based on its cultural impact and its impact on the musical world. Lyrical sophistication fused with rock and roll which influenced so much and Desolation Row which helped make long tracks more acceptable. I recall Roger Waters talking about Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands (not from this album, I know) and about how it blew him away - he was shocked that, given how long it was, it not only managed to maintain interest but increase it. I can imagine that people were influenced by Desolation Row, which came earlier, in the same way.

I could have chosen many other albums based on their "impact". I just find this perhaps more important than the rest.

Honestly i'd probably go with Tago Mago

Easy choice no filler.

This

easy

>ambient
>electronic
whatever you say user

PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS

PET SOUNDS YOU FUCKIN PLEBS

probably this because of how influential and ahead of time it was, also because of Heroin
but honestly I don't care, I have like 500 other candidates

These too