What do your parents think of your music taste?

what do your parents think of your music taste?

just had a comment from my mum which was ''it's good to be diverse'' in a very disappointed tone - reading between the lines i'm pretty sure she thinks i'm a degenerate

She's more upset with your choice to be a homosexual user. Try to read between the line's lines desu

my is your average dadrock listener, huge pink floyd fan, etc
showed him Swans and now he listens to them all the time

My mom only listens to modern pop country (i.e. Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, ...etc) so she hates most of my music. My dad grew up on progressive (particularly Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. In fact, Keith Emerson was his favorite keyboardist) and will listen to anything I play for him that doesn't have screaming vocals or is rap (although for some reason he REALLY liked Lincoln Park). Also, for some bizarre reason, he thinks Pink is one of the best modern performers out there.

i don't talk to my parents

Get over it bitch

>my is your average dadrock listener, huge pink floyd fan, etc
meant to say my dad*

>fake smile
>"that's nice music sweetie, but don't forget to use your headphones today"
>more fake smile
I hate this bitch

maybe if you didn't live in her basement she'd treat you more nicely.

I mostly listen to indie rock. They don't like that because they associate indie with unintelligible singing, acoustic guitar, and bland love songs. They listen to 80s rock like Heart and Motley Crue, which are arguably blander love songs than most indie (ie. most lyrics are variations of "I wanna feel you tonight").

I never really talk about music with my mom, sometimes I really want to show her something I think she'd like but she's extremely closed minded.

can someone explain me why they live in a basement? is that an american thing?

They don't really comment on it, but they don't like it or understand it particularly, unless I'm listening to the songs they grew up with. Father loves it when I put on Knopfler, too.

My mom is the most music enthusiast of my parents, my dad just listens to what's in the radio and some argentinian rock.
I've shown mom some hip hop and she liked the ones with boom-bap beats though she doesn't understand too much english to tell something from the lyrics. Also I've shown her death grips and thinks it's too noisy, and said post rock like godspeed or some swans records make her uneasy.

old swans, goth swans or new swans?

>Do you listen to hip hop?!
>When I was in London the punks were not very nice people, son
>This music is just banging and screaming
>can you turn that down

i introduced him to The Seer/To be kind first, he liked it, made me download him all their discography and listens to everything now

also, Joy Division and GY!BE, i think i turned my dad into a p4k hipster, kek

Wanting to fuck is a proper love song user. Especially one filled with energy and raunchiness. Whimpering and crying into a mic because some dying bitch with cancer doesn't love you isn't.

my mom is impressed with how much random trivia I know, like what bands were in which scenes and the time they came out ect. she can't stand anything I play for her that's too dark or abstract but I can't blame her

my dad is probably more disappointed because he's a former music teacher and knows all sorts of classical theory and shit, and doesn't listen to basically any popular music. so to him I'm just another brainlet

>just had a comment from my mum which was ''it's good to be diverse'' in a very disappointed tone - reading between the lines i'm pretty sure she thinks i'm a degenerate

What were you listening to?

Naked City

>Dad has tens of thousands of doo-wop, soul, & funk 45s
>Obscene amount of LPs too
>Two entire rooms in his house are dedicated to housing all his tunes
>Once I moved out my room started getting filled with records too
>He's constantly on the hunt for more, going to sales across the country

I'm scared of what would happen if I got him into any more genres of music.

Also this might sound fun but let me point out how awful it can be:

>Dad is a college professor so we'd go on these month long road trips every summer that mostly revolved around looking for music and looking at the dullest shit imaginable
>We'd do things like go to some record show for 6 hours where there's nothing fun for kids to do and then drive for an hour to see the high school where some doo-wop group formed
>My mom didn't even go on these damn trips so it was just me, my lil bro, and dad

We went to a lot of museums on these trips too, and my dad would buy us a bunch of books to read so they weren't all bad, but they could be exhaustingly awful.

>toxic masculinity is feminist bullshit
Untermench.

One day he's going to die and you will wish you were back at those record shows

No user, both my parents are dead and I don't for a second miss any of the drudgery involved in traveling with them

My mother is ok with it, I guess. "Oh, who's playing that song?", "I don't like her, she sings like she's drunk", "when they scream a lot I just get stressed" "I kinda like it but it sounds too sad for me"; that's the few things I can't remember her saying.
My father never says anything about it.

You even retort like a limp wrist. Your parents have every right to hate you.

I actually listen to music as old as or older than what my parents grew up with, though not necessarily the hits they're familiar with. My mom likes some of it, but my dad only likes classic country songs he knows by heart. I'll sometimes bring CDs by lesser-known 59's/60's country artists, but he's unreceptive to anything he didn't hear growing up.

Jelly.

Argentinian rock is goat.

I don't even know myself what to think about it. I think i broke my brain somewhere around Brighter Death Now and minimalist composers and now I mainly listen to Finnish schlager. In that sense I think I have gone full circle.

My taste is not that diferent from my parents, but weirdly enough, my father likes more nowadays electronic music.

I don't think they have any strong opinion about my music taste.

My mommy likes Father John Misty

I play music for my mom and she claims to like it. She's sensitive to swearing though. My dad likes most of the music I listen to, but there's some that's too weird for him.

I have a bizarre taste that's all over the place in their eyes. There's shit ranging from dadrock to extreme metal. Sometimes my parents like it sometimes they absolutely hate it. Dad's into dadrock and mom's into classical, but both usually listen to pleb shit on the radio. Neither ever showed any interest in the music I'm playing.

dads likes obscure afrobeat artists and completely ignores everything else right now

also from time to time he likes to hear some pop songs (two days ago i found him jamming on pharrell williams)

nice

>having a healthy relationship with your parents
>being able to open up to your parents about your interests

Mom listens to Bruno Mars non-stop. Not sure what that means.

Death Grips next

It's a Sup Forums thing

>but he's unreceptive to anything he didn't hear growing up.
Do people like this actually like music or do they only like the nostalgia they have associated with the music?

People who buy 45s and 78s are just weird as hell. I swear they don't even like the music.

A basement gives you a sense of privacy, and it's a facsimile of having your own place. Also guests don't have to know you're there.

My parents both have well developed music taste in their own right. My mom knows a lot of folk/singer-songwriter artists and seems to take a greater interest in my taste. My dad listens to modern classical, jazz, tape music, and world music. He plays in a jazz band. I think they respect my music taste even if they don't always share it. Whenever I visit them I get asked to put something on.

When you get older you almost always stop giving a shit about anything that doesn't concern you or your family