The only good Prog rock band?

King Crimson is probably my favorite band,so I wanted to listen more prog. But why does so much of it either try to be a medieval tavern music or twee disco? Oh, and you also have got Pink Floyd, which is alright, but definitely not as interesting as KC. Larks is the best KC album, followed by Red and then debut.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zg6svO2AQHw
youtu.be/GNkWac-Nm0A
youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0VBWnUhvU
youtube.com/watch?v=8UXircX3VdM&t
youtube.com/watch?v=F5sNgzD6B4A
youtube.com/watch?v=TO4OpOadeuI
youtube.com/watch?v=_rwNe2QXwrU
youtube.com/watch?v=x0alqsapHOc
youtube.com/watch?v=x4GeJlF2t8E
youtube.com/watch?v=b1vmmU2SFPM
youtube.com/watch?v=F5oF0wtq5uE
youtube.com/watch?v=2C0F7eFxhXM
youtube.com/watch?v=pafNgzGRjFk
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhnRSFPl-xolYBBnquj4qUgCsqTz-9lfO
youtube.com/watch?v=_Earfbot_uI
youtube.com/watch?v=aQbfNZOH0Ag
youtube.com/watch?v=SIl5RCLNy1E
youtube.com/watch?v=y2kObw63scg
youtube.com/watch?v=p9yW-3vFxA0
youtube.com/watch?v=oO7w90YG3Rg
youtube.com/watch?v=uPGiqLvcOEk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You forgot about mariachi slipknot

youtube.com/watch?v=Zg6svO2AQHw

youtu.be/GNkWac-Nm0A

Do you have even the faintest idea of how broad the prog rock genre is? Stop being an entry level pleb

King Crimson sucks big fat donkey balls, and this is an objective fact

Check out Selling England by the Pound.

>tfw was just listening to this as I noticed a prog thread

don't, OP. You will not like it.

>entire list pre 1980s

>porcupine tree
Image is from the wiki and obviously needs to be updated.

>Pink Floyd
>Not as interesting as KC
youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0VBWnUhvU youtube.com/watch?v=8UXircX3VdM&t
Have you listened to Pink Floyd?

Under age memers only know Dark Side.

Listen to Van der Graaf Generator. Robert Fripp was a fan and played guitar with them on Pawn Hearts.

Prog fusion best prog

Truth

I think everyone has at this point, and a 10 minute long pentatonic solo does not a good prog song make. I was all over them when I was 14, but then I grew up. Sorry, but they're tedious and lost all soul and charm when they carried on without Syd

Man you sound like an insufferable pretentious faggot

>pretentious– adj. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed
How is this not the textbook definition of what gilmour does with his guitar riffs? He plays a bog standard blues lick and then drags it out as if it were god's gift to music. Syd and Richard were the only talented members, sue me. If you want a genuinely amazing prog album from the same era, these guys actually know what the fuck they're doing

camel

>not enjoying post barret psychpop floyd
your life must truly be awful

Listen to Yes, they're better.

I liked them when I was a teenager. I grew out of it and lost no sleep over it whatsoever. Mostly because post-barret floyd was putting me to sleep.

Cool. KC is dentist office music

youtube.com/watch?v=F5sNgzD6B4A

This, Yes is the definite prog band and Tales From Topographic Oceans is the logical conclusion to 70's prog.

Hi dad.

>pretentious space-opera wank
>the logical conclusion to 70's prog
Actually its logical conclusion is when punk killed it stone dead.

Go to your room

Yes my dude! I never see King's X on here. GGTN is such a great album, but the production of dogman is amazing

In truth, I like all of their albums a lot. I don't have a favourite, so I just posted the most acclaimed one.
youtube.com/watch?v=TO4OpOadeuI
>that T H I C C damn bassline
mmmmmmmmmm

you forgot the ubu-jubu something blue thing drinking wine from a glass album

>punk
You're right, punk killed good rock music and replaced it with a bunch of unimaginative low effort crap. But atleast it's "cool" unlike prog so it can be marketed towards (man)children like you effectively. What a wonderful conclusion.

>implying space rock is bad

Close to the edge was a great album, but with TFTO Yes literally went straight over that edge and never came back. Also I was never defending punk, just stating the obvious that the meticulous precision of prog was never going to survive in an environment where musicians could get away with not knowing how to play their instruments properly

Hell yeah groove machine is a sick song. Digs basstone is fucking huge

only good prog bands are Henry Cow and post-punk groups imo
rest is wank

>post-punk is prog
what the fuck

>Yes literally went straight over that edge and never came back
That's like your opinion, not a fact and certainly far away for reality. I see nothing wrong with self-indulgence as long as it's backed by masterful song-writing.
>post-punk groups
>prog
You don't know what you're talking about. Also Henry cow is wanky as fuck which is not a bad thing.

If you write off an entire genre as big as prog as wank youre just as pleb as the people you think youre better than

Coheed and Cambria is the only good prog band because they are very melodic and not really prog

nah prog is wank
henry cow are only wank in the sense that they're difficult and sometimes long-winded but there's much less posturing and more self-awareness in their music when compared with most prog
post punk is prog rock except not shit

>not prog
>99% of discography are concept albums
>tie in comic boom series
Fucking a kid

>henry cow are only wank in the sense that they're difficult and sometimes long-winded but there's much less posturing and more self-awareness in their music when compared with most prog
That's not what wank is suppossed to mean. And no, post punk is not prog. Embarrasing post, you're not welcomed.

how is post-punk "prog" when it was spawned from the genre that was (for the most part) antagonistic to progressive rock? You do realise that prog and punk are like opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to their practical philosophies, right?

Hey sport, still listening to lil peep and kendrick lemur? Back in my day you would've got beaten up for that crap

This is the worst thing I've ever read.

AT least in that day i wouldnt be a virgin like you, dad.
Now call mom, i gonna fuck her listen to kendirkc -_-

youtube.com/watch?v=_rwNe2QXwrU

youtube.com/watch?v=x0alqsapHOc

youtube.com/watch?v=x4GeJlF2t8E

Check out The Mars Volta OP, best prog rock ever IMO
youtube.com/watch?v=b1vmmU2SFPM
youtube.com/watch?v=F5oF0wtq5uE
youtube.com/watch?v=2C0F7eFxhXM
youtube.com/watch?v=pafNgzGRjFk

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhnRSFPl-xolYBBnquj4qUgCsqTz-9lfO

thanks user, means a lot

Well theres KC, then theres prog and then theres kraut

Solid recs. I'd add some gentle giant, genesis and non dsotm or wall floyd

what dentist you go to bruh

>kc is a special snowflake and not prog

Morty goldstein DDS

William Lancashire of Manchester upon Faggington by-the-sea

>post punk is more prog than prog
I like this meme

its true though

Only if you've had a lobotomy

How in the fuck. That's like saying
>dude rap is more classical than Mozart n shieet

nah

Please leave my board until you turn 18

Try Van Der Graaf Generator.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Earfbot_uI
youtube.com/watch?v=aQbfNZOH0Ag

First one's more "proggy" but the second one is hard as fuck. Peter Hammill is quite possibly the greatest rock vocalist.

Also try Gentle Giant.

youtube.com/watch?v=SIl5RCLNy1E

> no frances the mute

NOT MY LIST!!!!!

KC after Lizard is only prog in the sense that they were musically adventurous, they pretty much dumped all the archetypes that most of the genre's bands were clinging too.

So it depends on what you mean when you say prog.

no
i will maintain to my death post punk is prog rock but better

>implying deloused isn't their best

>trap is like traditional folk but better

>pretentious space opera wank
>the logical conclusion to 70s prog
Pretentious space opera wank is exactly the logical conclusion of 70s prog.

facetious

Henry Cow was great! So was Art Bears

Topographic and Relayer are my fav Yes albums.

Gross

Yes is the second best prog band. PF is third

this list is awful

King Crimson is boring as fuck dude.

>he only listened to islands

i've listened from debut up to Discipline and it's okay, but doesn't really have any stimulating qualities. Red was the highlight in my opinion. Best part was the drumming of Michael Giles on the first couple albums, otherwise pretty much all music was objectively good, but the execution was super bland. It may stand out as a staple in music history and excellent technical musicicianship, but there are other artists that stand out more in their uniquity. Something you can point to and say, "that guy has something special". King Crimson has none of that.

I could start ranting about Frances here but honestly it's a question of taste. Their albums are so different and each of them great in its own right.

I wanna get into TMV but I can't get past the screeching vocals

Yeah, I guess that's a turnoff for a lot of people. Maybe try some of their softer songs like Televators? Have you listened to At The Drive-In?
Or you might wanna check out the stuff Omar (the guitarist) did with his girlfriend on vocals: youtube.com/watch?v=y2kObw63scg

>dude let's dissolve the mars Volta
>dude let's make the same band with a different name
Is antemasque any good?

Frank Zappa > Henry Cow > King Crimson >>> Yes >>> Genesis

fantastic taste

What a fucking retard, get a load of this guy. How's it feel to be a complete moron? Have trouble tying your shoes, idiot?

never expected to see the bald demon on moo

Just like you, KC fans are all delusional about this band. I'm just stating facts.

Yes and Neu! say hi

youtube.com/watch?v=p9yW-3vFxA0
youtube.com/watch?v=oO7w90YG3Rg

Completely underrated prog band coming through

>Tarkus instead of EL&P's self-titled
>Hamburger Concerto instead of Focus II
>Fucking Talk Talk
Fucking wew lad

Um sweeties Bedlam in Goliath is their best

Isn't this band just pop rock

Thank you Scientist? Nah.
Prog rock/Jazz Fusion

seriously? if he can't get passed the vocals in TMV how in the absolute fuck will he be able to tolerate At the Drive-in when the same vocalist's balls hadn't even descended?

it wasn't lol. Amputechture is my favorite but I'm not so diluted by my own tastes as to not recognize Frances was the best album overall

Lol lol lol

just listen to CAN or Faust. you'll get all the "prog elements" without the cringey medieval stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=uPGiqLvcOEk

I've been digging the shit out of this lately. I love pretty much all of Driver's stuff.