Roots Music General

Country, bluegrass, Americana, whatever. Last night's thread died.

I'll start with a question: What do you all think of Saving Country Music? Personally, I read the reviews and use it to find albums I may have missed, but I don't think Trigger's focus on what's wrong with mainstream country is really necessary, because it's become so detached from what country used to be that I don't see it as all that relevant to the alternative/underground/independent country scene that puts out most of the good music these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k5xpCqWjPtc
youtu.be/MVJsLHBVesU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_CsFNwsUdRg
youtu.be/t-9OLMsmKdA
youtube.com/watch?v=hCebq5lLgos
youtube.com/watch?v=IFH-F6LUXIY
youtube.com/watch?v=TtY99RowNgM
youtube.com/watch?v=6Fn9b_s8Iew
youtu.be/hvw8WXLaYEw
youtu.be/Z63Z5KkHtzM
youtu.be/7pMuZA-wrFU
youtu.be/p9BRia7J9P4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Country bump-kin

Looking forward to getting this box set next month. Ten discs of country/rockabilly/gospel recorded at the artists' expense between 1953 and 1957. None of the singles on this set were originally pressed in quantities exceeding 1000 copies. Comes with a 100-page hardcover book.

Nice! Anybody on it who got big later?

Willie Nelson's first single was a Starday Custom product

youtube.com/watch?v=k5xpCqWjPtc

I actually really like that. Somehow as a first single, I didn't expect to.

superior hat wearing country/americana chic comin through
youtu.be/MVJsLHBVesU

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_CsFNwsUdRg

bumpin'

youtu.be/t-9OLMsmKdA

Nice

where do i start? hank williams?

Carter family

youtube.com/watch?v=hCebq5lLgos

What's the country equivalent of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On?

Something I guess where the artist went from previously radio-friendly/established genre to soulful, political, and raw?

Would Johnny Cash's At Folsom Prison be it?

I'm just learning about country/folk/bluegrass because I've always liked it, but knew nothing, and the girl I'm interested in digs it so I figure I'll explore the genre more.

we should put together a willie nelson mega for the inevitable day that's coming. the board will receive an influx of f-posting plebs and we need to be ready with a folder of recommended willie.

i for one have cd versions of red headed stranger, stardust, milk cow blues, across the borderline, it always will be, willie and family live and rainbow connection.

assuming that there isn't already a willie mega. i've never seen one and i don't lurk the sharethreads as much anymore these days.

dolly
youtube.com/watch?v=IFH-F6LUXIY

and speaking of willie i also love the song dolly wrote for them
youtube.com/watch?v=TtY99RowNgM

youtube.com/watch?v=6Fn9b_s8Iew

DOWN THAT HIIIIIIIIILLBILLY HIGHWAY

This is absolutely my country album of the year, and Kate Macanon is one of my top songs of the year. It's worth checking out for anyone who hasn't heard it

youtu.be/hvw8WXLaYEw

If We Were Vampires is my country track of the year.

bump

newer version of a classic
youtu.be/Z63Z5KkHtzM

and im just an old chunk of coal y'know?

youtu.be/7pMuZA-wrFU

just a friendly reminder that this national treasure is not only still alive but still touring as well
youtu.be/p9BRia7J9P4

Saw him at a festival couple months ago