/Prod/

mfw no one starts new bread Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (mostly talentless hack who explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (mostly talentless hack who explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Good resource for getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/n2oavnga
clyp.it/wdfl2fjj
clyp.it/zvdvha2j
clyp.it/kryirze3
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1512958326318.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=qxyg_qAgLiw
youtube.com/watch?v=ar9qA3WJInk
youtube.com/watch?v=beOR7pmRH_8
clyp.it/f1ti2xw0
youtube.com/watch?v=jlJnG-nepoI
clyp.it/yotzso0s
clyp.it/qgnxmkus
instaud.io/1wSc
youtube.com/watch?v=PA5uuBCtZ5k
clyp.it/xkikvkis
clyp.it/2fpraqn1
clyp.it/uqoiixp5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You autists need to learn to start a new fucking thread when the old one hits 300 or else I'm putting the fucking name back on for good

What's your FX chain that you use for everything /prod/?

BUY MY BUNUB YM YUB

clyp.it/n2oavnga

how does that lead around 0:10 sound?

A few years ago I finally decided that it's pointless to make new music for release, since there's enough music out there and showing friends isn't fun anymore.
But now I'm losing the fun of it. Playing piano is still kind of fun, but putting together sounds and programming synthesizers isn't entertaining anymore.
Should I just call it quits or stick around to see if I get some more motivation/excitement from it?

My piano one vst broke. What do?

what do you mean by that do you have a crack version and it stopped working

Its a free VST running on Reaper.
One day it just stopped loading when I tried to open a file that had piano in it.

This is on the inner sleeve of Boston's second album. Just thought I'd leave this here.

Guess that's why he killed himself, huh

plebs

For what? Wanting their music to sound alive with dynamic range instead of sounding stale and flat. Digitalfags will never understand the joys of listening to music that's been recorded on tape and transferred to vinyl.

lol 420 nice

>not making music with only analog synthesizers

you absolute plebian

were there even any computers worth using in 1978? the only ones I can think of are a few rare computer/analog hybrids or early samplers.

perhaps the fairlight cmi

digital has way higher dynamic range than even studio tape decks

Not in 1978 of course. DACs were only 40-60dB of SNR

How do i know when its time to release my first EP?

gimmie some feedback bros

clyp.it/wdfl2fjj

just hit a year of work, nice to see the progress feelsgudman.jpg

>digital has way higher dynamic range than even studio tape decks

Doesn't fit the track much but it's still fine
I have no criticisms other than there's nothing that really makes it stick out. Nothing i haven't heard from the prospecting synth days of the 1980's

sup /prod/, I remade Mord Fustang's Milky Way, how close did I get?
clyp.it/zvdvha2j

MORE BONGOS, love that thing, also maybe ease up on that kick or maybe use a different one if you want to make it sound more distinct.
I'm not an expert by the way, just my opinion.

Just started messing around in FL and the anxiety is kicking in again. Should I start out making little bumps before trying to make full on tracks? I'm hitting Kanye's 'Forgetting better shit' mode here.

if making long tracks tends to be tedious and even makes you not want to make music then yeah, go for little bumps.

also, if you're dry on ideas, a short track doesn't seem as empty as it would if you tried to extend it to a full on 3 minutes

Are we talking about cocaine

do you think that could help?

Nope. Straight edge artist in the works

In all seriousness. Not yet. Wait another 5 years. Does soundcloud/Bandcamp really need another shitty/mediocre album?

u nter the dance house
hear this old mannered beat song
what doy?

clyp.it/kryirze3

>Should I start out making little bumps before trying to make full on tracks?
Whatever's more comfortable.
Probably move to it desu, this is groovy.

Please rate!
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1512958326318.webm

Any feedback is welcome.

Reminds me of this, you might be able to A/B to to fix mix issues.
youtube.com/watch?v=qxyg_qAgLiw

The first Rage against machine record has a similar message cause the lead guitar sound like synths and they wanted to be real with everyone

I've been wanting to brush up my skills at mixing songs with mainly recorded instruments, and to brush up on my pro tools skills, as i primarily use ableton, and also i don't have enough equipment to record the drums, bass, guitar, etc.

Is it as simple as just finding stems and practising or is there more to it or?

Yeah man, the patrician way to do it is to search for a torrent of the stems from bohemian rhapsody and mix those

Usually I make indie rock music on logic so I'm not very good at figuring out how to make synths.

But I love the synth pads that start this song, any idea how to make something similar sounding in Logic???

youtube.com/watch?v=ar9qA3WJInk

>Is it as simple as just finding stems and practising?
Pretty much.
Very very very very lowpassed saws with an envelope, slow attack obviously.

thank you so much

Detune them a bit as well, and if the phase retriggers every time, depending on your synth, turn that off

Can anyone help me find a Max For Live device please?

A couple of months ago I used a M4L device where you had to tune it with a panel like pic related by telling him where C was at each octave (I assume from the incoming audio) by setting the dots at the right point (I don't remember moving the dots, so I think it was automatic).

I think it had a dark color scheme (possibly the standard dark grey and blue/cyan) and had the panel on the left and a column of buttons on the right.

I don't remember what it was for or where I found it but I absolutely need it now to see how that panel works to implement a similar idea in a device I'm making.

I've tried all amxd files in my computer and I've spent hours looking online but didn't find it.

Thank you so much in advance.

tfw all my soundcloud uploads sound low quality and clipped
what is the sicret

you mean there are stems of the raw, un-eqd tracks of famous songs avaiable on the internet?

Yeah man. Easiest ones to find are the ones where the songs were in video games like rock band and guitar hero. Tho those are generally not raw, and are usually limited to drums, bass, guitar, vox, and other

just searched and could only find the master individual tracks

how do i do the Been Fweago thing where he has the normal rappity raps and then chops n screws it in the same song? how could I do that in FL Studio?

vid for reference

youtube.com/watch?v=beOR7pmRH_8

>that image
what the fuck my dude

I'm pretty new to all this but I'm looking to get my first device, decided to get a groovebox to get into all of this. I'm fine with having to invest some time into learning my way around.

What I've arrived at is either getting a Novation Circuit or a Korg Electribe Sample. Perhaps a real cheap entry with a Volca Sample.

What would you guys recommend?

>make friends with guy
>visit his house to play with my Synth(Korg Mini 2020)
>have alot of fun, despite my very simple knowledge on this kinda stuff

This guy has like a full studio in his house, a ton of guitars and synthesizers and mixers, diy handmade cables to power everything, recorded two songs in a pro studio, and, just has some songs in Logic Pro of him and his friends messing around. And they're good as fuck.

Anyway. I had a blast and it inspired me to get more into this kinda stuff. Guess I just need FL and a drum machine

Go Balls out and get a Maschine you won’t regret it.
Korg electrode sample is pretty much the big daddy of the volca sample. Personally I’d go for Maschine if you don’t mind it being tethered to a computer (it doesn’t bother me at all as if I’m writing music I go into my studio and there’s a computer in there) if you need standalone hardware then the Korg electribe unless you have a bigger budget then take a look at the elektron stuff.

Other things might be worth considering too like the akai MPC range of groove boxes

I was looking at a Maschine but being tied to a computer is kinda meh, especially since I'd have to install windows (probably).

Even the electribe sampler is kinda stretching my budget just to get my feets wet, so I guess I'll take a closer look at that. Do you know how it compares to a novation circuit?

And thanks for the help man, really.

i just download these raw stems from that famous multitrack website

clyp.it/f1ti2xw0

what /prod/'s ears notices to be done on this mix?

Should I?

>I was looking at a Maschine but being tied to a computer is kinda meh, especially since I'd have to install windows (probably).
Yeah that’s the deal breaker for a lot of people I guess. On the upside though you are getting a controller with a really decent sampler and sequencer along with a bunch of synths and effects units all with the feel of actual hardware (the N.I stuff integrates seamlessly). I really like mine, a lot.

>Even the electribe sampler is kinda stretching my budget just to get my feets wet, so I guess I'll take a closer look at that. Do you know how it compares to a novation circuit?
I’ve not really looked into the circuit, but from what I understand it’s a sequencer with a couple of basic analog synths, a drum machine and some effects (Don’t quote me on that as I’ve only seen a release video a while back when it first came out). Notation stuff has always been pretty good in my opinion (I had a original bass station rack back in the day) so for £300 it’s not at all bad. Again for a little over £300 you could get 3 volca’s? A sample, a fm and a bass. That’s would probably be a bit more versatile desu and you could add drum samples to the volca sample so you have a drum machine.
I always think if you are on a budget then a sampler is the best way to start out. It’s just really versatile. You can sample analog synths, so you kinda have a analog synth, sample drums, so you have drum machines, load it up with wave tables for wave table stuff or just fill it with odd sounds sample classic breaks etc.

Personally you can’t go wrong with the volca sample as a start out. It’s basic but it’s also fun. If you decide it’s not for you then you can sell it and you’ve only lost £30?
If you can afford it then go for the electribe. Even wait a few months if you need to save up. It’s a bit more of a “professional” bit of kit and will serve you a bit better in the long run.

>And thanks for the help man, really
Np

Fuck yeah

3 volcas would be real nice, though they're like 170euro here, 2 of them would be more expensive than a novation circuit.

How's the noise with the volcas? Thought they're kidna rough.

It sounds like a strawberry, that is way it is red

>3 volcas would be real nice, though they're like 170euro here, 2 of them would be more expensive than a novation circuit.
Even the sample and fm might be more versatile? Like I say I’ve not really looked into the circuit, but it looks pretty basic from what I’ve seen sound wise. Sequencer looks pretty good. There’s a lot of options out there to start out, so just do a bit of research into what each is capable of and maybe think about what you want feature wise.

>How's the noise with the volcas? Thought they're kidna rough
For the price they are great value, probably some of the best value gear I’ve ever bought, but you’ve got to be realistic when buying something like this, they’re gonna be a little noisy. They obviously aren’t going to have a professional quality build or components. You get a 3.5mm stereo output, plastic knobs and some noise. That said they are fine for studio work, just be gentle with them and embrace the noise.

Try drawing or reading or something and then come back to music when it feels natural. Especially if its not your main gig you dont have a financial obligation to keep making stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=jlJnG-nepoI

Jorman God - Crystal Ball

hip hop instrumental

Jesus Christ we've just managed to convince FL Studio fag to stop namefagging and this autist comes back shitting up the thread.

Yea you should.
I've been wanting a G1 with the smallest keyboard ever since I got my micro modular.

Just ignore him, he might go away

I'm afraid he won't.

you better

Don't use soundcloud if you want good playback.
timestamp?
Volume levels are fucked. Start with that :)
I missed you J

:^)

hi /prod/. is there a trick to jump starting a creatively stagnant track?
sort of when you get to that point where you have a song and it sort of sounds complete but at the same time it feels like a really essential piece is missing.

been banging my head against this one for a good while, tried many different instruments but nothing seemed to fit, or to make it complete as it were.

clyp.it/yotzso0s

Listen to similar songs and copy them.

Imma get the volca sample first and spend a bit more on christmas presents for friends/family.

I'll build the collection from there, should I enjoy it enough.

Thank you for your help, hope I'm making the right decision.

just mixed it, what y'all think lads

clyp.it/qgnxmkus

by playback you mean sound quality?

> is there a trick to jump starting a creatively stagnant track?
Yeah, for me it's thinking out the track in my head beforehand and planning it all out, if I wing it and cut/paste loops and shit in the DAW it usually becomes stagnant at some point.
Volume levels are definitely there now. Doesn't sound half bad.
>by playback you mean sound quality?
Yeh

Please rate, /prod/ucers!
instaud.io/1wSc
Awaiting your feedback!

If you're really considering it I'm sure you've looked into this but, you'll have to have a computer running an old operating system.

Runs just fine on windows 7

are you a part of a scene or do you play out? you don't have to be making it big or anything, but it's nice to feel like you're a part of something bigger than just noodling in your bedroom.
lol
I find the volca sample has a hilarious amount of noise and it's fairly stiff to program, though also easy and quick. it /bangs/ for something that cheap and shrinky dink, with a really heavy kick. i kind of hate it, but i think it's useful tool if you can work with a fairly rigid workflow.
i think all other volcas are rather limited. the keys sounds good, but doesn't have a very wide palette of sound. the FM sounds great, and is very playable, probably the most useful, but not unique. the volca kick sounds amazing but it's rather specific in what it does. the beats and bass sound fucking awful.
overall, i think you're better off using plugins than the volca series, but i understand that some people just prefer hardware.

hey,
what are some rules when trying to achieve crisp production like here:
youtube.com/watch?v=PA5uuBCtZ5k

Those violins are too loud. Not sure what exactly is going on in general as well.
Volume levels, sample selection, EQing, compression, good mastering yeh....

there are some excessive frequencies to my ears

From the last /prod/:

should i start music school

im quite good at guitar bass and production and dont know what to do with it besides releasing stuff on soundcloud and youtube, is music school a good move

I don't think its a good idea unless you can go for free

yes its free

do it I wish it was free here

For the guitarists here, how do you prefer to record your guitars? Line in? Through a DI? Close Mic an amp? Far Mic an amp? Some other way perhaps?

thanks for the input

close mic my amp usually. i'd like to far mic to get different textures but bedrooms acoustics. sometimes i record line in for different amp tones.

just mastered it. opinions?

master
clyp.it/xkikvkis

mix
clyp.it/2fpraqn1

>I find the volca sample has a hilarious amount of noise and it's fairly stiff to program, though also easy and quick. it /bangs/ for something that cheap and shrinky dink, with a really heavy kick. i kind of hate it, but i think it's useful tool if you can work with a fairly rigid workflow.
It’s not that rigid considering you can record know turns into it plus the sequencer...ok it’s not open ended but still if you want movement there you can get it. Like I said before it’s £130 I really have no idea why people complain about it. Either people have hugely unrealistic expectations of things or they just aren’t connected to reality. Even the volca kick in my opinion is a absolute bargain at the price, it’d still be a bargain if Korg removed the sequencer. I just spent £200 on a Sallen key filter (the Korg MS20 one) and guess what it’s fucking noisy, it’s a noisy filter.

>i think all other volcas are rather limited. the keys sounds good, but doesn't have a very wide palette of sound. the FM sounds great, and is very playable, probably the most useful, but not unique. the volca kick sounds amazing but it's rather specific in what it does. the beats and bass sound fucking awful.
That’s the whole idea of the volca range, you have lots of fairly limited little things that once put together sound pretty good. Again the Volca bass is a 3osc synth for £100. I’m not sure if that’s really that limited, you can get quite a range of sounds from it’s palette.
>overall, i think you're better off using plugins than the volca series, but i understand that some people just prefer hardware

Are there any budget alternatives to this?

this is the actual "mastered" link, please judge through it
clyp.it/uqoiixp5

i'm sorry for flooding the thread. would delete the old posts if i could

I want a buddy to mess around with making music together :C

Does anyone know good how-to blogs for producing? Like someone who covers the basics but gives enough info to get you started?

Where do poor /prod/fags pirate their DAWs?

Just read the manual it’ll give you the basics. The rest is about being creative with what you know

thanks

thanks, i was thinking of that post as well