More Silence reactions

@BilgeEbiri
I saw SILENCE twice today. First time, I was absorbed, impressed, moved. Second time, I was in tears. One of Scorsese's greatest films.
Also what is it about Andrew Garfield that makes directors say, "Let's send that kid to Japan so he can suffer for the Lord"?
(He's great, btw.)
The novel of SILENCE is the only book I've ever read that made me want to believe in God. Film's effect is different, but still v. powerful.
Second screening revealed it to be one of Scorsese's most beautifully structured & composed films. And made me appreciate Neeson a lot more.

@joshrothkopf
SILENCE is absolutely staggering. Deserves to be compared to the masterworks of Ingmar Bergman. A serious film about faith under fire.
Have seen twice now, including today's finished cut. Martin Scorsese’s most challenging and deeply spiritual film. Keep expectations high.

@DrewMcWeeny
SILENCE is beautiful and heartfelt. All Good Friday, as with most Scorsese. Very little Easter Sunday.
I thought it was bracing and absorbing. I also love KUNDUN and LAST TEMPTATION. Temper expectations accordingly.
Very few filmmakers ever find a way to compellingly grapple with spirituality and faith on film. Scorsese has done so consistently.
Also, SILENCE may have the most engrossingly weird bad guy since Hans Landa in INGLORIOUS BASTERDS. The Inquisitor is something else.
Lastly, Scorsese finally scratched what I'm guessing was a pretty profound Kurosawa itch. Big time.

@jenyamato
Ok, real talk: Scorsese's SILENCE is frustrating

@certified_ed
Since everyone is confessing, after only one viewing, this former Catholic schoolboy is agnostic toward SILENCE.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BIP2CKERz_Y
imdb.com/title/tt0490215/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>spiritual
Dropped

>Did you ever see what a .44 Magnum pistol can do to a woman's face? I mean it'll fuckin' destroy it. Just blow her right apart. That's what it can do to her face. Now, did you ever see what it can do to a woman's pussy? That you should see. You should see what a .44 Magnum's gonna do to a woman's pussy you should see.

jesus Scorsese, that's the Pope for god's sake!

I'll take Cerebral Marty over Tough Guy Fetish Marty anyday, my hopes are very high for this

>@jenyamato
>Ok, real talk: Scorsese's SILENCE is frustrating
The one who disliked is a gook unsurprisingly

>andrew garfield
SCORSESE WHY?

Adam Driver is also in it

Wtf did they recast Luke Skywalker with Andrew fucking Garfield???

Hes actually good.

Op here
david ehrlich @davidehrlich 2m2 minutes ago

SILENCE is a tortured & fascinating examination of faith in all its forms. a valuable counterpoint to Shinoda's film. being Jewish is chill.
@certified_ed
I will say this for SILENCE, Andrew Garfield is extraordinary in his articulation of not wanting to lose one's faith.

@studiesincrap
i found SILENCE urgent, moving, and momentous even as I kept wishing the padres would just go back home and call the proselytizing off

I was moved to tears when I saw Arrival last week. Was on a healthy dose of LSD, and it spoke to me. Gonna be on LSD for Silence as well, but I have to wait a couple of weeks (tolerance). Is hope there isn't a lot of suffering, but I want to feel the emotions, and the reality. Looking forward to it.

i know youre memeing but srsly tho kys

I'm rly not. Movies on psychs are breathtaking.
Watched Doctor strange after arrival and it was really fun too

I hope you don't accidentally kill yourself

The jesuits are to japan as ISIS is to us. They deserved everything.

That's the weirdest looking jesuit i have ever seen.

This would be a very bad movie to watch on acid.

By walking to the theatre? That'd be tough to do.

I see...thanks for the heads up.

Why is Andrew Garfield playing super Christians in two Oscar calibre kinos this year?

Isn't he a jew?

>implying @-folk voices matters
I want to some real critic post something

kys druggie

@jenyamato

>I expect to be the lonely one here siding with the Japanese against the Jesuits and yet another white male journey of discovery

FUCKING
WHITE
MALE

look up the history of their colonial expedition you mouthbreather.

who's a real critic? all of them are members of the LAFC, NYFCA. Probably you are one of these normies that love Mark Kermode.

>dismissing twitter users as not "real" anything
its the current year, get over it. everyone has a twitter

even print media dinosaurs like Jonathan Rosenbaum and Richard Brody have twitters lol

base Marty bringing catholickino back again

He's a talented actor? Why does he put Leo "I have no talent" decaprio in all his movies ?

0/10

She gave Ghostbusters a positive review and complains about white males in every review

I'm not kidding Garfield has more natural talent than Leo, who has basically two emotions for every movie

name me a movie where leo gives a solid performance on par with any of his contemporaries.

He's outperformed in every movie he's in and has the screen presence of a fly.

Admittetly, he was good in Wolf of Wall Street, but yet again he was outperformed by most of the cast there.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Revolutionary Road
Wolf of Wall Street
J. Edgar
The Aviator

you have shit taste.

Garfield is unironically a better talented actor than DiCaprio

I don't agree I think he's Hayden Christianson level bad/boring/blah. Plus he's a fucking asshole. How can you forgive him for giving Emma stone herpes and walking off on that Make-A-Wish kid?

>J. Edgar
how can you watch this scene and not chuckle.
youtube.com/watch?v=BIP2CKERz_Y

The Aviator has some of the worst overacting ever from Leo and Blanchette. I have no idea what people see in it

I remember people seeing BvS early and saying it was the greatest superhero film ever made.

Blanchette is playing a real person and is modelled on her 1940s acting style.

Leo is playing an eccentric autist.

How can you possibly "under"-act that premise?

>character says something direct and vagualy antagonistic to the protagonist
>protagonist sighs and quietly starts an anecdote about his personal experience/an allegory for what he wants to do
>gets louder until he makes his point as bluntly as the first guy did
This is the screenwriting trope I'm most sick of

But these reactions are from critics, dumbass.

that's literally every exchange in House of Cards.

I love it.

Blanchette is practically doing an SNL parody of Katherine Hepburn. It's all her most obvious traits playing at 10

Leo sticks to his 2 fallbacks when he needs to act.
>project himself as the most confident person in the room by talking fast and loud and smiling a lot, feign charisma where it should be natural
>grit his teeth and widen his eyes, yell, snarl; be emotional in the broadest sense
It's one or the other in nearly every film of his until WoWS, where he finally unhinges a bit and makes his inherently fake and slimy "charisma" work on both levels.

>The novel of SILENCE is the only book I've ever read that made me want to believe in God

Wow how far up the ass do these reviewers get?

it's a good book

just found out the guy from zatoichi is in this film as a translator
I might actually watch this now

Millennials between the ages of 18-29 give it its highest rating at 8.3 because they like to dick ride directors they studied in film course

older viewers between the ages of 30-44 give it a mediocre score of 6.7 because they can more objectively see his body of work since Bringing Out the Dead for what it has become, mediocre .

imdb.com/title/tt0490215/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

He fell for the critics meme.

Andrew Garfield is a fag. Emma was his beard and she probably got heroes from another sleazeball she was fucking on the side.

Only ever seen him in The Force Awakens, but I really wasn't impressed once the mask came off. Maybe he's been good in other stuff, but he wasn't there.

Also, the man's got a really strange face and ears.

>the masterworks of Ingmar Bergman

gaijin go home ! ~

white devils stick to what do best,, be fat !~

coward mockery of Japan

He wants to join the true faith of God

>jenyamato's reaction.

Seems like the liberal journalist just don't understand it, and therefore have pushed it as kino.

I'm betting it's no better than any other foreign POW film, and kneecapped by shit dialogue

Can someone explain how Jen Yamato got a gig as a critic. She tweets about DJ Khaled and shit.

>SILENCE is absolutely staggering. Deserves to be compared to the masterworks of Ingmar Bergman
This shot alone is how I know this statement is absolute fucking bullshit. How dare this chucklefuck spit on Bergman's legacy like that.