Just subscribed to Film Struck. I'll probably abandon Hulu soon, too

Just subscribed to Film Struck. I'll probably abandon Hulu soon, too.

Anyone else?

Nah, I subscribe to torrents.

I have too many Blu-Rays I haven't seen yet. I'm thinking about subscribing once I get through em all, though.

Post your favorite films Criterion released. Pic related is mine.

Yup. Seen some cool shit I had never come across on Hulu already. Worth it.

>Blu-Rays
Mate, it's just Blu-rays.

Mine is either Ghostbusters, Dead Presidents, THE GAME, Jason and the Argonauts, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, SE7EN, and The Princess Bride. Laserdiscs still fucking count.

This is my favorite film

Gonna be hard because I was sharing hulu with normies and it was super convenient. I don't think any normies are going to want to use filmstruck. :(

PRAY TELL

>Blu-rays
I...actually never noticed that somehow. Huh.

That's actually one of the ones I haven't gotten to yet. L'Avventura is fucking stellar tho.

>sign up for free trial + 1 year
>decide to cancel
>you have to call on the phone
>too afraid to talk to anyone

>L'Avventura is fucking stellar tho
Oh yeah, it's a top ten for me. L'eclisse is pretty good too. La Notte, while not a bad movie, is a bit dimmer in comparison to Red Desert/L'Avventura

Protip: email them and tell them you want to change to monthly. You'll then be able to cancel without talking to anybody.

I was signed up for the annual thing but decided to downgrade so I can cancel if they don't get that godawful buffering shit straightened out soon.

>2016
>still torrenting

What's it like to be poor?

I really want to get on filmstruck, but really only to get some decent ripping software and try to get downloaded copies of their stalker

Yep. dropping Hulu like tomo b4 next pay cycle/ No more CW or Criterion and Filmstruck is free til 2017 for being a beta tester. Its awesome, looking fwd to ps4 app tho

What about those movies in 720p or 1080p which aren't even on Blu-ray disc anywhere on the planet? Well, good transfers, at least.

>Streaming

Pathetic! What kind of Cinephile are you?

You know how you stay rich? You don't blow your money on shit you can get for free.

Shame that all these threads devolve into nerds bragging about not paying for media. Cool, it've very impressive. Some of us don't mind $11 a month for the convenience, library, extras, commentary etc.

Agreed. This board does nothing but complain about shitty movies, yet no one seems to want to support filmmakers they actually like.

>2016
>shilling a US-only service
what's it like to be a mart-sharter?

I've got those two on the watchlist. What are some other must sees for a relative newcomer to arthouse/foreign stuff? Since getting filmstruck, I've watched 8 1/2, Breathless, Stalker, a few Kurosawa. There's so much stuff I don't know which direction I should head.

Fitzcarraldo. Only the Samurai or Feudal Japan Kurosawa? Watch his contemporary too. Including Ikiru.

I'm gonna get it as soon as you can stream to chromecast. Fuck using an HDMI cable from my laptop

Why not Monoprice?

I have 200+ Blu-rays and I'm a power user on PTP. Eat shit,

Oh just enjoy the platter, there's so many directors/movies to uncover. When I first got into art house, I found myself pulled towards Japanese and Italian film for whatever reason, so I watched a lot of that.

Just a general list of some of my favorites when I started: Bergman, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Ozu, Suzuki, Teshigahara, Antonioni, Fellini, Cassavettes, Truffaut, Bresson, Godard, Altman, Roeg, Wier, Wenders.

These aren't all art house and this isnt an exhaustive list; just a nice starting place if you're looking for new directors.

I watched High and Low, which I enjoyed. Ikiru is on the shortlist.

No Herzog on Filmstruck, but they have the documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo. Burden of Dreams?

Is it as as big as the pool of films they had on Hulu?

bigger, it's a joint thing with TCM.

They have a lot of shit to fix on their site. I'm really shocked they started as early as they did and still haven't worked it out
>constant buffering
>still no CC for most english language films
>watchlist at first couldn't have more than 100 films, but now keeps deleting everything but the 100 most recently made films on my watchlist after a day or so
>can't freescroll all the films or open them in new tabs so browsing is a total bitch
>most intros are so empty they aren't even worth loading on the ugly as sin video player
>no info on when the licensed films will expire

But they're the only streaming service to actual upload HD versions of older movies so I can't really complain.

Nice, thanks for the recs. I hadn't heard of a couple of those -- added some to the list. These Suzuki films are way short. I might check one out now.

Very nice, I suppose I'll cancel Hulu.

But they do have many shows I like, so I'm not sure. Netflix's saving grace to me is all their Star Trek I think Hulu is superior

>no info on when the licensed films will expire

Maybe the worst part of Netflix save their weak selection of television and film.

Can I get an invite???

Well with netflix they announce a week in advance, but they have so little worth watching that you can easily see whatever's going to expire before it happens. Filmstruck has so much stuff licensed that you would have to miss out on things if they did mass expirations like other services

>only available in the us

I'd consider it if they didn't charge extra for the Criterion Collection. That is what interests me the most, but I only have limited money.

A lot of the Criterion films are available on the first pay stage though, and will rotate around

>go to western
>literally only two (2) films

Why would I even bother wasting my time

they have a few others, not sure why they aren't headed under western.

i don't watch a lot of westerns, so it doesn't really bother me

>US only

I will stick to MUBI

>trying to justify your wasteful purchases so you don't acknowledge your buyer's remorse

>complaining because something can't be used outside of the us
>i actually browse the same website as these savages

Terrifying

*sharts pants*