Tfw this is the only Godspeed You! Black Emperor album you can listen to

>tfw this is the only Godspeed You! Black Emperor album you can listen to

I have no idea why, but everything after this feels so fucking boring and safe. They constantly try to capture the high points of this album without any of the built up atmosphere and tension that makes those moments worthwhile

Of course, my opinion might change since I’m super new to the band, but I have not been able to get through any other album of theirs before shutting it off out of boredom

Can we discuss this masterpiece?

Bump

This is certainly their best in terms of atmosphere and definitely top 3 for me, but I like that some of their other albums have less build-up and are more punchy. You're right that f#a# has quite a unique atmospheric feel to it.

I listen to Godspeed a lot when studying, and I find myself putting on this album a lot less than the others. It's partly that there's a lot of focus on the voice samples and I find that kinda distracting, but it also doesn't have that full, orchestral, wall-of-noise feel that albums Lift Your Skinny Fists or Yanqui have.

Not that that's a bad thing, it just sets it apart from their other work in my eyes. f#a# is a great album for long car or train journeys, I think partly because it feels like it's telling a story more than other Godspeed stuff.

If you like the more atmospheric stuff maybe check out Set Fire To Flames, it's a Godspeed side project that's a lot more ambient. Also, have you heard Slow Riot for a New Zero Kanada? It's Godspeed's EP, probably my favourite release of theirs

I’ll check out Fire to Flames

New Zero Kaneda didn’t hit me that hard but I’ll give it another shot

Slow riot for a new zero kanada is definitetly up there with f#a#.

I love f#a# but in my opinion, skinny fists just does everything it does but better (better crescendos, better ambient sections, better samples etc.). Have you given LYSFLATH a proper listen through giving it your full attention? I didn't appreciate it as much as background music. is right though, F#A# during a train journey at night is amazing

no way is skinny fists better than f#a#

Nice digits. Not sure about that opinion though. What makes f#a# better to you?

Seriously, listen to Sings Reign Rebuilder, it's my favorite Godspeed related release.

Don't forget Hiss Tracts

I haven’t listened to either of them in a while but I like f#a#’s atmosphere a lot more, it feels more cohesive as a whole too

this guy gets it though, sings reign rebuilder is better than both

>tfw all of GY!BE records get boring after two listens

Strange I've always thought skinny fists is much more cohesive. SRR is great but telegraphs in negative is just as good, if not better

telegraphs is pretty decent but there’s really too much field recording for its own good, they’re interesting enough but considering how long the album is it gets hard to listen to

Well I guess I can see that. Matter of taste I suppose. I find it really unsettling in a brilliant way

Will check these guys out. They definitely give off that eerie vibe I’ve been looking for

This release is captivating on a very grand scale, it brings out an existential angst in me and I'm not trying to be an edgelord going through his little Nietzsche phase. The album just touches you in a very unique way.

Even while paying attention, I couldn’t really find myself in tune with Skinny Fists. I’ve tried to listen to it twice today and the intro just hasn’t clicked

I've always felt that F#A# is unique in their discography, there's a certain roughness to it and it's the most atmospheric. I don't think any of the individual tracks on F#A# reach the emotional highs of Sleep on LYSFLATH but the album overall feels more cohesive, not to mention that for example Static doesn't do much for me at all.

You have to be in the right mood for it I think. As pretentious as it sounds, closing your eyes and imagining what the soundscapes on it would look like really helped me appreciate it. It's a very 'cinematic' album
But the ambient section at the start of static is one of the best things they've done

Pic related was the band at their peak. They had already released two powerful and epic albums and an ep that reached the same standards but Yanqui U.X.O was their most consistent and smooth flowing album. Maybe not their most powerful or impacting piece but it definitely remains one of their best.

I can't stand the production on this album and getting rid of the sampling takes a lot away