ITT: Kino that people don't usually recognize is kino

ITT: Kino that people don't usually recognize is kino

>checked
and this is one of my all time favorite movies.

What is this? A thread full of patricians?

The Jerk

It is now

One of my favorite movies

The mexican birthday party scene scared the fuck out of me as a kid. I was watching it with my Dad and he was supposed to tell me when the scary scenes were coming up and he fell asleep. I certainly woke him up.

>muh demons
so deep

>movies people usually don't recognize as movies

What did he mean by this?

good:

brilliant use of limited exposition

basically a remake of Night of the Living Dead- people barricade themselves in farmhouse, as certain death outside tries to get inside. (Note the similarities between Joaquin Phoenix's character and "Tom" from NofLD.

Father's reaction to sincere belief that his children are about to die horribly. Especially the "last meal" scene and when telling stories to his kids, even a baby story to the youngest child.

So burn. Hearing aliens over child monitors, e.g.

Bad:

Insulting to the intelligence.

Aliens are made out of Wicked Witches, melt in water.

Aliens need crop circles to navigate. How many crop circles are in the vast reaches of space they have to cross?

Despite mounting an interstellar invasion, the Aliens have no actual plan but to wander around individually, aimlessly attacking veterinarians and corn farmers, being careful to avoid lake districts.

Deus ex Machina ending. God is great, and he loves you, and he killed your wife horribly so she could give you a cryptic message to save you from aleums which he also sent to kill you and your kids, having crossed and navigated across vast regions of cornless space, only to be killed ridiculously in His Glory.

t. autist

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

a movie can't be all the things you want at the same time

>hurr make the movie suspensful and interesting but also have the aliens be super intelligent but still capable of being defeated and make sure you dont bring god in because im athiest and thats offensive but if you make it a movie about athiesm thats offensive to religious people

nothing will ever be good enough for you because you've got impossible standards/10

your opinion therefore is worthless/10

No, that review was excellent and you are obviously just butthurt. Mel is a disgusting Papist so the theme is appearing rather obvious now and a film I will enjoy more not ever watching.

Im an atheist and I had no problem with the religious themes, in fact I think it made the film stronger

umm, grow up?

You spelled "brasil" wrong

Being an atheist is no excuse for having shit taste, user.

I have no problem with a character finding religion after a traumatizing experience. A deus ex machina ending with an actual miracle saving the day and a total carpet-pull tonal shift is just bad writing and ruins the movie.

Just got the alien bat scene and skip to him putting in the color and it's great.

the thing is it works in this movie because it all meshes together (the flashbacks, the "signs")

You might have a point with the whole god saving the kid with asthma thing but for me personally its easily overlookable (and helps with the main character finding god again and going back to church)

VAMONOS

>still thinking they are aliens
le kek

The asthma thing is fine. That works as a reasonable coincidence.

God killing his wife and giving her future vision powers so she can tell Merrill to swing the bat while also God telling the girl to leave glasses of water around is what's retarded.

I didn't see those things as divine intervention, more like just things that reinforced the father's waning faith.

>Aliens who are deadly allergic to water invade a planet that is ~70% covered in water, has regular precipitation, and high humidity in the atmosphere

BRAVO SHAMALAMADINGDONG, BRAVO

>aliens
LOL

>this movie could have worked better if they weren't aliens

That's my point, user. There are a million ways this movie could have been better. But I'm talking about the movie as it actually is presented, not fanfiction headcanons.

They did make a point to say on a news broadcast that the space ships were in dry/arid regions only.

>HURR, THEY'RE ACHTCHUALLY DEMONS

No they're not.

None of that has to do with God necessarily though, only if you want it to

>as it actually is presented
You mean as you interpreted it.

vamanos children

Imagine if the girl in blue that nobody cares about was Emma Roberts instead and she had a kissing scene with Pudgens.

No Shyamalan's painfully clear intentions.

>painfully clear intentions
Weaselspeak for "not actually confirmed anywhere".

Honest speak for "I actually sat through the movie and watched it, instead of pretending the aliens are demons."

If you'd actually watched it, you would be able to point out where in the movie it was proven they were aliens.