Is Vaporwave a meme? Is it back? Did it ever die? Was it ever alive?

Is Vaporwave a meme? Is it back? Did it ever die? Was it ever alive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vtNjy5PAkBw&t=672s
youtube.com/watch?v=Sbto2Ty7aLg
cruduxcruo.bandcamp.com/track/the-field-of-dreams
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>yes, but only at a horrifically misunderstood normie level
>define "back"
>no
>yes

have you guys ever seen fascistwave? i think thats the worse vaporwave inspired thing ive seen, besides simpsonswave

Sincere question, I swear I'm not memeing. Is this album vaporwave, or at least under the vaporwave umbrella?

vaporwave is a transgender genre

Yes/No. Never left. Constant death and rebirth is the norm for the genre. Yes, in the brief glimpses before its next death.

Expanding on the Yes/No, vaporwave has been treated as both parody or as satire. If you think it is parody, then yeah it's a meme. If you think it is satire, then no.

No it is not.

fashwave is just shitty synthwave with sunwheels and dumb pol memes.

vaporwave is pretty much dead because its the most over saturated genre in existence

i agree but CYBERN4ZI is kinda gas

these two albums are the epitome of the genre. nothing has came close besides STARCALC and DEEP FANTASY.

best vaporwave release in years coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=vtNjy5PAkBw&t=672s

fpbp

you don't know what a meme is. buy a dictionary

How about you fast forward christmas and buy yourself an informed argument.

a meme is literally just a popular cultural idea. stop being so ignorant

So you mean to tell me that "meme" isn't a generic term meaning jokes? 100,000+ Facebook groups would beg to differ.

Not that I care for the best or the original definition of meme, couldn't care less. But when people ask "Is vaporwave a meme?", I assume the question (and whomever asks) is not particularly serious. I meant that if you think vaporwave is parody, which is a valid position, then yeah it's not a very serious genre and you will not appreciate it on a serious level. Again, I think it is a valid position although I personally prefer treating it as satire.

Also, reconsidering the original definition of meme, would you not consider that the timespace of early 90s late night television aesthetics do not count as a popular cultural idea?

its fashwave, and its pretty on point 2bh, if you're into hotline miami esque synthwave

youtube.com/watch?v=Sbto2Ty7aLg

old definition

>generic term meaning jokes

new definition.

The comments on Fashwave videos are peak le enlightened centrist. Usually people saying "Well sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it and you have slick taste in music XD"

the fuck? no it's just normie approved dungeon synth. a couple tracks sample 80s music but that's all.

the guy who made it is definitely part of the vaporwave scene but I wouldn't call the album itself vaporwave, probably better to label it hip hop or memecore or some shit, plunderphonics works too.

>fashwave is just vapewave stripped with even less artistic integrity than vaporwave
>sounds like royalty free shitty synthwave
Mein fucking sides why am I not shocked?

am i the only one who sees the similarity between dungeon synth and ambient vaporwave?

I've always enjoyed chill/mall music, i don't like the choppiness of vaporwave.

Apparently I had been making vaporwave for years without knowing it.

My main synths were korg wavestation and yamaha VSS-200 ran through shitty guitar fx pedals and a boss drum machine.

I also liked fucking around with the speed of cassettes.

Dungeon Synth just sounds like DOS game midi music to me.

yeah i guess the classic stuff does. but i think the surge of recent stuff has really stretched the sound into different territories.
here's one example
cruduxcruo.bandcamp.com/track/the-field-of-dreams

>would you not consider that the timespace of early 90s late night television aesthetics do not count as a popular cultural idea?
no i do. i absolutely think vaporwave is a meme. but it's a great and creative meme.

my point was just that it's a meme regardless of whether or not people think it's parody

>old definition
the problem with the massive-scale misconception of the term is that it has given the term "meme" a strictly negative connotation. at least in regards to art.
people will say "is this good or is it just a meme" it's possible that something can be a meme and also be good. in fact it's likely that it's good in some sense because it somehow got popular.

Which "wave" does Saint Pepsi fall under?

literally vaporwave

this.