Is cultured meat the new green revolution?

Apparently prices in production for cultured meat are dropping in tests and we might soon get cultured minced beef into the supermarket.

Will you buy it? I will, I think it is awesome to eat beef without having to kill massive amounts of cows and without wasting land and contributing to global warming.

Other urls found in this thread:

samharris.org/podcast/item/meat-without-murder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've been waiting for them to make some progress, but it's still expensive as hell to create. Anyway, yes I'd eat it and it's more healthy too because there're no impurities, also the quantity of fat can be decided beforehand.

If it's cheaper.

>eating fat makes you fat
learn nutrition ffs

The important question is, how's the taste?

there are some kneejerk retards who hate progress in ANYTHING, even food, and think science is evil
i expect them to show up shortly

I prefer my meat grown on the backs of a beast, not in a lab.

>minced beef

lmfao i wouldn't touch that shit with a barge pole if they have to mince it to sell it.

>Enjoy your anus cancer

There..

>I've been waiting for them to make some progress, but it's still expensive as hell to create.
They say it costs 8 dollars per kg to produce minced beef if scaled up - with current tech. That is about double what unsubsidized beef costs.

So these nutbags are against GMO crops but they want to eat Frankenstein meat? ok...

He didn't say that you retard. He said you can decide the quantity of fat when growing it.

Meaning you don't have to worry about animals being too fatty or not having any fat. It's literally up to you.

No more "typically less than 10% fat" shit on mince.

>The important question is, how's the taste?
Apparently better. Basically, you get minced beef which tastes like the best minced beef you can find naturally. Why? Because you control the process and can refine it, even add spices etc. to create different nuances of beef flavor.

"Greenhouse gas" is a discredited psuedoscientific myth.

I'm all for it even if I get cancer from it then.

don't put words in my mouth ahmed, only steaks.

You'll be able to eat anything ethically. Elephant, whale, monkey and even humans will be on the menu. Actually, donating your own cells and then eating them after they have been cultured could be the most ethical and safest food possible.

Yeah nah i actually own land and raise cattle on it and what they turn into mince is not high quality meat but why don't you go ahead and tell me i don't know what i'm talking about because you got triggered.

>Actually, donating your own cells and then eating them after they have been cultured could be the most ethical and safest food possible.

I am hungry for human meat now. I heard it tastes like sweat pork! I want a Taylor Swift burger, now!

>8 dollars per kg
that's incredibly cheap for good quality meat, I pay like 4 euros/kg for uncut chicken breast.

im just saying
in the fucking future we'll be eating engineered super food (& have self driving cars)
and just because some autistic autist opposes it now with zero facts isn't going to change anything

it doesn't matter, co2 levels have already surpassed the threshold for runaway climate change, get hype for mass extinction event

That's pretty fucking good considering how new the technology is compared to present day beef slaughter

And if it tastes better and is healthier, it's going to be a food renaissance.

I'm sure there'll still be slaughterhouses here and there for rich picky fags, but I'm all aboard a more ethical version of meat that'll actually end up cheaper and tastier in the long run.

cattle and chicken are stuffed with antibiotics and live in germ infested places. lab meat would solve that problem.

Holy shit, I'm hungry for a Tay Tay burger now. I may even not wait for the tech to be finished.

Anyway, I learned all about this stuff on a Sam Harris podcast. It's an eye opener. samharris.org/podcast/item/meat-without-murder

I would have to know if its safe and if it tastes good

if so well yes I very much would, its a great idea

They are not growing whole animals. Mincing it is likely necessary due to the way the meat grows (i.e. it's not forming anything resembling flanks, muscle groups, etc.)

If it actually tastes like great beef, I'll buy.

>actual vegan beef

I'll at least try it. Sounds like a good idea if they can get the cost and taste right.

The alternative of course is a future of eating farmed bugs.

probably safer than actual farm animals desu

The way they're bred, raised, fed, etc. is pretty fucking abysmal in a lot of places. China pretty much feeds them nothing but antibiotics and now they're creating superbugs because of it.

Don't really have that problem with vat grown stuff. Easier to monitor it, easier to keep it from getting infected with anything; no parasites, no diseases.

Why don't we just eat humans instead?

With the correct abattoir technique we could eliminate all the negative health side effects, and produce an unending supply of richly nutritious meat.

We're approaching this issue the wrong way round. The poor won't stop fucking, ever. It's all poor women do. The least they can do is hand over half of their kids to become food for everyone else.

They tried to get us to eat insects the last time this was brought up. Fuck that. Let's eat the poor, for compassionate environmental, population-control reasons?

Would also it Taylor's sweet sweet burger.

From what I understand, eating human flesh causes problems from misfolded proteins, called prions, which fuck you up.

Also, you tend to pick up whatever STD's, and other diseases they had.

I don't think you've really done enough research on the subject.

Pls no ;_;

Science is not evil, progress is.
literally lucifer

"Apparently better, we add spices and stuff" sounds like code for "it tastes so bad we have to add spices to mask the tastes and even then it tastes so different that we can't convince anyone it's equivalent, so we're going to market it as an acquired taste."

I'd still try it if it were cheap, but you aren't making it sound appetizing.

>Will you buy it? I will, I think it is awesome to eat beef without having to kill massive amounts of cows and without wasting land and contributing to global warming.
If it looks and tastes the same, I won't give a shit. Hell, I'd rather not even know.

Mince meat is shit meat but if it tastes good then consumers will buy it.

I would like to point out the food industry has been trying for decades to get synthetics up to the same quality as farmed products the problem they face is that you can also improve the genetics of your own stock and produce to compete with synthetic products as well.

It is the main reason why most countries don't let NZ trade agricultural inside their markets the genetics of dairy herds for example are way ahead of what ever crap they produce in the rest of the world.

desu it sounds more like you're coming up with excuses not to like it.

It is essentially the same as natural muscle meat.

The cultured muscle strains look and are the same. The difference is that the incredients (sort of the fluids) in which the muscles are grown can be manipulated directly, while beef taste from actual cows require us to e.g. feed cows different things to make sure the meat has a certain natural flavor.

Is minced meat shit because it's minced, or is it shit because of the part of the animal it comes from?

That's brains. We'd have to drain them of blood properly too. But that's what we do in abattoirs with things like pigs anyway.

All this scrabble to feed the world's poor, when they should be feeding us. If we feed them vat-grown steak, they'll just fuck more, creating more and more of the same problem, until we run out of vats. It's madness.

I just realised...

A rich man in the future would be able to buy a lab-grown Taylor Swift vagina as a sex toy.

What a time to be alive.

The biggest problem with it last I'd paid attention was that the flavour wasn't so good because they'd only been able to get the muscle to grow and not any of the other tissue - fat, etc.

Sounds like they've solved that issue, so now it's just making it more efficient/cheaper?

But thatt not what different hue of Ireland said

High Quality Mince is very fine and grey also it is expensive so they use the shit parts and resort to all kinds of crap to make it look red and juicy for sale.

I'll put my bet on this scenario, mass production of food goes synthetic with low quality while traditional farmers go organic with high quality.

Interesting, North Americans don't have minced filet. Minced raw filet is something you find often in European restaurants... alongside thinly sliced raw filet (carpaccio).

But it would be absolutely trivial to create high quality meat instead of low quality meat synthetically.

I'm not even sure there would or could be a cost difference. It's not like they're harvesting parts of an animal that are full of tough meat with no fat or too much fat or whatever.

They'd grow exactly what they want.

>I'll put my bet on this scenario, mass production of food goes synthetic with low quality while traditional farmers go organic with high quality.

Essentially we'll end up with a better quality of meat overall. No one really wants to eat factory farmed dirt meat.

i meant technological progress, but still
>muh traditions

If i could i would send you grass fed eye fillets and free range eggs with some nice side bacon from pigs that just run around doing w/e they want and let you decide.

>Essentially we'll end up with a better quality of meat overall. No one really wants to eat factory farmed dirt meat.

The real uproar will be that farmers will pretty much all die out except the bigger farms which concentrate on "non-animal" farming, that is food crops.

And this will essentially also transform the EU in the next 10 years, away from a subsidizing farmer union to a tech business union OR the EU just goes bust.

Factory farms will die a quick death if they get synthetic foods perfected. maybe GMO will save them but i don't think so.

If it's safe, cheap, and tasty why wouldn't I buy it? We can then use empty farmland to build houses.

You would also have to send me synthetic meat to compare it to.

It will only annoy the French. I dunno about German but in the UK farming is already treated as a precise science with many farmers embracing the latest and greatest technology. I can't see many wanting to block it if they can change models in time.

GMO's are pretty much exclusively used for increasing crop yields by making crops more pesticide resistant.

Very little GMO research has gone into making crops healthier or tastier for human consumption, and I'm not even sure if any of it has even gone into animals at all.

Seriously, fuck the GMO companies. They don't give a goddamn about the quality of food. Just bottom-feeder corporations whose only concern is the bottom line, without any forward thinking on the benefits of just, making a good product that people want.

No, it's always gotta be cost cutting and corner cutting with the fuckhead agricorps. It's like they're all run by jews.

>8 dollars per kg
I'd pay it gladly if it's cleaner/healthier than the antibiotic infested plague cows they serve us today.

I've seen a lot of testing done with small automated greenhouse buildings, with the ultimate intention of building them in cities and selling the produce there, rather than shipping it in.

I'm hoping that takes off. It should - it's more efficient in a lot of ways. No need for pesticides, don't need a lot of people to manage the crop, you can sell locally with a much higher population density than any regular farmer could even dream of, the food is as fresh as it could possibly be - and if they can grow synthetic meat right along with it, you kill two birds with one stone while drastically reducing the amount of land needed for agriculture and simultaneously making all of it more efficient.

It would be interesting to see what they would produce if they were deeply concerned with making tastier foods.

Though America is fat enough as is.

Also I just want to say the EU's (lead by a few members you know who you are) attitude to GMO has been fucking retarded, like conspiracy blog tier levels of dumb.

>sky scrapers lined with green houses
>the roofs of every building, even in the projects, bursting with lush green goodness
I hope they work it out.

The last time I saw any attempt at producing 'tastier' foods, all they did was make extremely large and tasteless tomatoes.

Hell, they don't even let the damn things ripen before picking them. They do the same with fucking watermelons too - I've bought a few watermelons with NO flavour. Just takes like water.

They pick the damn things before they're ripe, then ship them with some ripening gas so they look good, but they don't actually have any of the nutrients they're supposed to have.

Should be less of a problem when you can just buy locally at a supermarket that literally grows the food in the building.

I caught the end of a programme the other week where a uni (I think) was experimenting with growing entire crops under solar powered LEDs in hermetically sealed warehouses.

It was all totally organic because they could prevent pest and disease from ever entering the building and the inefficiency of transferring light to energy to light was made up for by increased yields from better light, less maintenance and less loss.

Was pretty cool desu.

Biomed background here. I can't see a reason for any difference substantially between this and farm grown meat. The DNA dictates what the cells grow into, and DNA is the same in culture or in field. Texture and marbling might be off, is all, from the cells growing in different arrangement/pattern. If anything, as another user said you could remove impurities by controlling what the growing cells "eat". No GMO sterile pesticide-producing corn diet. Could use a feed with grass-like chemical makeup.

By feed I mean whatever is going into the culture that the cells are taking to restructure into new cells.

There is no way this can "give you cancer". Even if, even if, the DNA of the grown meat cells was cancerous, you don't absorb the DNA structure of what you eat. I know you see pig-looking porkers running about nowadays, but I assure you someone who eats bananas every day doesn't turn into a banana. You do not adopt the DNA of what you eat. Duh. Stomach acid would break it all down into amino acids anyway, the structure wouldn't be retained through the digestive process, and your cells have no way to absorb a molecule as big as an intact DNA strand.

tl;dr would eat if it were cheap enough. I already can't afford (well, don't want to afford) any meat but chicken. If you can offer me steak or veal at chicken prices I will eat ALL of it.

Holy shit good point. Fuck beef, I want culture-grown veal erry day. You could eat buffalo, shark, pufferfish, salmon, tuna, swordfish, oyster, anything you could think of.

I hope there's more in the works.
I want new and strange fruits

Genetic modification is expensive as hell. You can't exactly scale it down and the genes responsible for taste are far more complicated than ones that responsible for proportions. If you want to improve the taste, stick to traditional methods of husbandry.

>he doesn't hunt his own food

Killing animals is fun. Have you tried it?

I spent the majority of last year slaughtering thousands of animals a day. Blood all over you, shit and piss on the floor. Sometimes you find a baby in the sheep thats still kicking and you get to rip it out of the mother and throw it at your mates. Good fun.

>difference substantially between this and farm grown meat.
for one thing, no more lead issue.

A new age of gastro delight beckons.

>not eating extinct species

Dodo wings anyone?

I wouldn't eat some poorfag diseased nigger raised on a diet of cigs, crack, and KFC. The squirrels and rats who eat my trash are cleaner.

Think economically. The farmer is a middle man. Your price paid for food includes enough money to support him and his family living. Vat grown, you don't need much because one lab tech at 18/hr can support a warehouse of vats, and the vats turn over more quickly than raising a cow from birth to steak (IE years). You also don't need to buy as much land, or pay veterinarians or such.

We also don't have lamp lighters anymore and the world went on.

Another benefit to lab grown meat.

Sadistic low-IQ fuckers like this fag will be out of a job.

This is really reassuring ifyoure saying it's just inherently safer than gmo.

Mad cow disease is picked up by some sort of fucked up protein right? Would this type of disease become the new risk?

That's a PHD level of education in Australia.

>suddenly a market emerges of human flesh eating Hannibal lecter wannabes

>suddenly dirt cheap human meat floods the market from China undercutting the labs

>they insist the meat is grown but won't let anyone inspect any facilities

This desu. Store bought produce is garbage, but we don't have much choice. If the food wasn't shipped from half across the country or from another hemisphere they wouldn't have to do that shit, picking underripe and using gas to make it look good when it tastes like crystallized water.

Good horror film plot.

It's the Jewcifarians, they want to control everything. Their jew penny stealing methods are being used. Filthy shit bearers.

>Sometimes you find a baby in the sheep thats still kicking and you get to rip it out of the mother and throw it at your mates. Good fun.
I love you Aussies. Never change

I'd rather be a fucking vegan than eat this soylent nightmare.

I dunno bro. You shouldn't knock it till you've tried it.

Sometimes one of them will escape after its throat has been slit and will run down the blood pit, falling in the 10-15cm of congealed blood constantly, before getting amongst everyone. Sometimes the animal will try and charge people. A mate of mine got hit just before i left, fuck it was funny. We tackled the bastard and took him back to the nigger-slaughts. Useful fucks can't kill anything properly.

True. And no mercury issue for fish. Imagine, you could eat fish every day and not die of mercury poisoning. All of /fit/ just had an orgasm. Another user said, no more antibiotic use, no more superbugs. And hell, no bleached meat.

Okay, so when meat is harvested it's a dirty process because they use $2/hr mexicans. Fur and outside bits get on the inner meat. The animals are covered in their own piss and shit raised in tight quarters on a factory farm. So this shit is now on the meat. The health inspector is coming! How to cleanse meat of E coli? Bleach. Literally bleach. Some use vinegar, but most use some horrible chemical, and this chemical leaves residue on the meat which you then cook and eat.

So, vat grown = no bleach.

Really, unless you are buying small butcher cut, grass fed free range meat, you are eating, well, shit and piss and bleach and god knows what. Vat has to be a huge improvement.

The ONLY issue is making sure the "feed" for vat meat contains all the micronutrients necessary. Fucking biofags suck at nutrition, their books only teach about macros and the major micros.

I'd give it a try but if it doesn't taste ideal then they can take their lab-grown meat and go fuck themselves with it.

>I think it is awesome to eat beef without having to kill massive amounts of cows and without wasting land and contributing to global warming.
Gotta be honest, you're really tempting me to resist it just to spite green hippie faggots who I hate more than almost anything in the world

However if those same hippies jump onto the "lab-grown meat is an evil abomination like GMOs"-train I might just give it a go

I don't want to eat a dirty nigger.
Disgusting.

No. Mad cow disease is from, well, dirty factory farmers taking the sick, half dead cows, grinding them up and dumping them in the cow feed. Yes really. It comes from cows ingesting the diseased brain of another cow that had this. Cows being vegetarians, well, that doesn't happen naturally.

Vat grown would PREVENT such diseases. Absolutely no disease, infection, or bacteria could be introduced in a sterile laboratory farm.

Just bottled babies to go and we're close to the utopia.

Yup, it's going to be awesome. And I never liked the taste of meat, especially red meat before anyway.

The elites will still eat the cows.
The cultured meat is for you.
Probably just flavored bugs.

If taste and nutrition are covered, I'm sold on vat meat!

I'm so glad we don't have that kind of shit rampant in our country we might have actually saved our agricultural industry.

I wonder what the vegetarian answer to this will be.
Will they all start eating this kind of meat? Because it's no different from a plant tissue, really, just edible cells that are no more aware of them semvels than cells in your body.

i think read an essay from some irish protestant that said the same thing

>All of /fit/ just had an orgasm.
kek definitely, I can imagine that happening for real.

>The ONLY issue is making sure the "feed" for vat meat contains all the micronutrients necessary. Fucking biofags suck at nutrition, their books only teach about macros and the major micros.
Indeed, my concern too, though I didn't study much about biology so I've no idea how they'd go about fixing this issue, I hope they manage to make meat that can bring at least 80% nutritional value of classic meat.

Vegetarians probably won't care

Vegans are total fuckup retards and will avoid it. They don't even eat bee vomit ffs.

Another question is cannibalism. Will I be able to grow human meat and eat it and sell it? I am not harming anyone here.

Depends how decentralised the technology becomes. It it gets to the stage where it's illegal but requires no more than having the equivalent of a growop in your cupboard then yea there will be loads of that kind of shit.