What does Sup Forums think of DAMN.?

What does Sup Forums think of DAMN.?

America please take my hand, CAN YOU HELP ME UNDERST-

standard edition 7/10
collector's edition 9/10

7/10

How does turning the tracklist bump the score of the album up by 2 for you?

Serious question

it's an obvious bait come on

6/10

kendrick's worst but it's still okay

his worst album but it's not bad

The only people who hate this album are rockists who are used to "muh narrative, muh concept". It's the reason why Kendrick and Kanye are the most talked about rappers here.

Damn.

The flow of the tracklist can obviously up the album rating. Although I like the album more in normal order.

Crap. It was fun for like a week but a really lackluster project. I hope he can redeem himself instead of becoming a cash-grabbing mainstream rapper.

My favorite album of the year and probably favorite Kendrick album (I thought GKMC and TPAB were solid as well though)

I love the distorted piano effect when Lamar talk about lil Johnny

Yeah, some song like XXX, DNA, LUST keep being great, but the album as a whole is just okay. I would've been fine with having just a few singles

expectations were too high, and am now disappointed.

off-topic, but anyone know what this psychological effect is called?

overrated trash

Overall better than TPAB, though the highs are lower

third best from Kendrick, overall a good album

Favorites:
DNA
PRIDE
XXX
DUCKWORTH
ELEMENT

(8/10)

FEAR was good too.

Kendrick Lamar is basically unstoppable right now, putting out songs and albums that are among the best rap records ever. DAMN. is basically a flawless piece of music. As some people noted, SZA’s score was below other things that ended up ranking below it on the lists. I think, in a really technical way, there are some flaws in her album. Some songs are better than others. But that overall imperfection ends up being what makes it so special. She’s a very real person making a very real record. People aren’t perfect. Even Kendrick. But he’s pretty close.

tpab = gkmc > uu > damn > s.80
All are great but i feel like tpab gkmc and uu had more solid themes
Lot's of great tracks like xxx fear pride and lust but there were also some that the album would've done better without like love
I feel like most on mu dont get the concept of an internal battle. It's Kendrick and all his sins vs what he thinks God expects of him. I really like the very back and forth opposite tracks.
I feel like it's going to age like shit because of kid capri's contributions
Probably like an 8/10 from me. If capri wasn't on it and love wasn't just mainstream bait, maybe it'd be a 9

I feel like lots of mu hates it for the same reason they hated tlop or just to be anti mainstream

that's an actual reply from a pitchfork staff member from yesterday's reddit q&a lol

The reason this one is a letdown for me is because GKMC and TPAB were such fully fleshed-out masterpieces, they were both pushing an hour and a half (EXTREMELY long for a hip-hop record, and it's very, very difficult to keep the listener engaged for that long in this genre) and they were so dense with themes, stories, concepts and social commentary that it bordered on being overwhelming at times.

But DAMN is just so disposable by comparison. It's literally just a hip-hop record. There's very little substance here.

It's a hip hop record for hip hop listeners made by a hip hop artist. I'd rather have a good sounding hip hop album than a weak concept rap album.

It is pointless to compare DAMN. to GKMC or TPAB. They are both meant to enjoyed in completly different ways. They're all good albums, it just depends on what you feel like listening to. Not every album needs to be conceptual.

>weak concept rap album
Isn't that what DAMN is?

There was no concept, each track is good enough to be listened to on their own.

I think DAMN. was made to be a basic bitch album because Kendrick wanted to showcase that he is humble. I'm sure he did this to look for human and gain a closer connection with his fans in the mainstream. However some part of it backfired because I'm sure some hate him somewhat for releasing such a OK album

* to look human

There was a loose concept.

Then it wasn't a major part of the album like the other 2. GKMC and TPAB relies its messages.

My point is it kind of fails at both. It's like a 6/10 album with a 2/10 concept. The whole thing seems lazy. Just look at the hook on LOYALTY. It's literally

"Luyylty, luyylty, luyylty"
Kendrick's so lazy on this he wrote a shit hook and couldn't even be bothered to open his mouth all the way. This record was Kendrick following trends (mumblerap) for the first time, as opposed to setting them.

Soy-core WE WUZ trash

>I'd rather have a good hip-hop album/shit music album than a mediocre concept rap album/good music album
ok

JUST LOOOOVE ME

Kendrick is Hip Hop's Bob Dylan, unironically

let's wait for his death

I agree with you. I fell like you really have to dive deep into damn to grasp any concept and at times i feel like I'm putting pieces together that aren't there.
tpab and gkmc definitely have a better theme and story

DAMN he has funny lookin' hair.

lol

will be deemed a classic couple years from now like tpab

Pretty good for a pop album

Sequencing is very important. Just look at how well Kanye does it.

I wholeheartedly agree

Damn...

1/10 post, get a new punchline dude. godDAMN.IT

havent bothered listening to it yet, downloaded it but honestly have other things I'm listening to, I figure I'll wait until this pitchfork hype dies down and see how the album stands the test of time, I just don't get the vibe from KL that his work will offer a lot of replay value, although I once thought the same thing about kanye so we'll see.

I doubt it will break a 6/10 for my taste but hey h

It's good, but definitely weaker than Kendrick's previous output. The concept isn't as strong here, there are some high highs (DUCKWORTH, FEAR, DNA) but some low lows (LOVE and GOD).

>user can't into well placed escalating melody + repetition

it's a sad day to be a pleb

TPAB was a classic before it was even released, that leak spread like wildfire

Get out Pitchfork, you're drunk.

>Kendrick releases two great albums
>Releases an album of garbage trap-pop
>People still suck his dick because something something wokeness something something powerful black figure

It's rap, a genre for and by the mentally retarded. It's as good as kanye

RACISSS

TRUMP VOTA MAHFUGGAH

AINT U SEE HE USED TO BE POOR BUT NOW HE GOT MONEYS!!!

POWAFULL!

Better than sectiom 80, but worse than untitled

Mediocre. Can't believe how much people deepthroat him because of how great GKMC was. TPAB wasn't even that good, and DAMN. almost sucks. Hip-hop brainlets are why this genre suffers.

Second best to GKMC, I don't get all the hate just because it's a little poppier and not as strong a concept, it's still a great listen

You shouldn't judge an album based on comparisons to other "better" albums in an artists discography

i love this record, but i really don't think it'll stand the test of time, it's got too many pop influences for that to happen. it already sounds a little dated to me, i might have overplayed it but then again I never had that problem with TPAB.

was hyped in the beginning but started to really dislike it
tracks like loyalty, love, god are kinda bad
muh "fuck trump" on xxx is cringy, i mean, i understand that you have political views that you wanna express but leave that shit to twitter dont put it on a fucking album
fear gets kinda boring, and the parts that reference the bible are just stupid and pretentious
6-7/10

a real grade A faggot

It's 55 minutes long
You know what else is 55 minutes long?
Sound of silver
This album doesn't accomplish very much

I think Kendrick is overrated, he is the best of the popular rappers today, his beats are great, but his lyrics get dumb sometimes. They say he's "word heavy", which amounts to him using more words than traditional rappers today, doesn't make him a poet.

overrated garbage, terrible boring trap beats and the guy sounds like a little bitch

strong 8, nothing more

not even the best hip-hop album of the year

Loyalty is one of the worst pop songs of the year. They play it every 15 minutes on every radio station near me and I have no idea why since no one likes it that much, it's an unlistenable mess

His second best album behind TPAB

10/10 moment

4/10
irrelevant in the long term

RELEVANT IN THE LONG TERM BITCH YOU DONT KNOW

True but we're comparing a 1.5 to a 2

shut up you monkey

I would say 5
Honestly I think the album gets shit on a lot on here, but it was super dissappointing compared to literally every project he’s released besides OD

disappointment

*behind GKMC

I don't understand the people who say this is Kendrick's "casual listen" album. Listening to it all the way through is soul-crushing to me.

Conceptually its great but it somewhat fails with the execution. I feel like he sacrifices the artistic integrity of the album just to have a more commercial sound. As a whole it's decent but if you look at some of the tracks individually it's very good.

It's only soul crushing if you read into the lyrics
I'm assuming the people calling it a casual listen havent actually really sat down and dissected what's going on

Don't see the appeal of Kendrick
His voice is nasally and annoying
The music itself is great but he has nothing to do with the music

good taste, this is basically exactly my thoughts too. I'm unsure whether it's better than Section.80 though.