How fo you define music if you agree that not all sounds are music?

How fo you define music if you agree that not all sounds are music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ADPk5PpkjMg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh boy here we go

Personally I prefer to refrain from going with any definition of music beyond "sounds that at least one person considers desirable to listen to" but I bet someone could poke holes even in that.

Wouldn't that make audiobooks music?

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that spoken poetry is music, so that takes care of some things that would be classified as audiobooks.

if people want to download it without paying for it, it's music

Potentially. You could always consider it atonal free verse a capella or something along those lines although yeah that's silly.
But as soon as you start trying to define music in a narrower sense there's always going to be something out there that people consider to be music when it doesn't fit the criteria. The traditional idea that music is composed of rhythm, harmony and melody already doesn't apply to a lot of existing music. You could go for something more artsy like "a series of sounds that elicits emotions" but then almost any random sound could qualify as music.

aural art that was intended to be aural by the artist

til video games, movies, and tv shows are music

A purposeful organization of sounds or notes

exactly

Music is a set of sounds (or lack thereof) that is created with the intention of being music.

organised sounds
cool pige btw

>Music is a set of sounds (or lack thereof) that is created with the intention of being a set of sounds (or lack thereof) that is created with the intention of being a set of sounds (or lack thereof) that is created with the intention of being a set of sounds (or lack thereof) that is created with the intention of being...

what does it mean for sound to be organized?

Organized Noise

how you want alphabetically or whatever I don't care i'm not your mum

everyone "sings" when we speak, we put different emphasis and inflections of words and the "song" of our speech changes depending on our mood. so I mean this on purely a technical level, all speech is inherently musical. if you have a guitar tuner that uses a microphone, you can speak into it and see what notes you are hitting.

That every sound is intentional? Though, I have to wonder if improvisational music can qualify under this definition.

I just take the pragmatic capitalist approach: if it is sold as music, it is music

music = sounds made with the intent to be music

field recordings aren't music for example

musical notes are sonic vibrations are a certain rate. theres 12 musical notes in a collage of sonic vibrations

music might INTEND to be music and not be "musical" at all so fuck all this noise, bullshit thread

everything, every object vibrates. a bird might think your taking a shit is the greatest song its ever heard. EVERYTHING IS MUSIC

music is something people seek out to listen to and quantify as music.

what does classical music, vaporwave music, outside recordings, drum loops, rap, rock all have in common? We all would consider these music.

and why would we consider audiobooks, ASMR videos, and youtube audio, conversations with friends considerably NOT music?

maybe because music is not personal, not a conversation. notes obviously have something to do with music. Maybe music in the purest sense is movement via instruments

thats literally not true, music that isnt good doesnt mean its not music. its literally rates of sound, its called science. a noise might be good or bad but that doesnt make it music, a song might be shitty and super dissonant, that doesnt mean its not using musical notes out of all sounds it could use

A piece of sound that at least one person in the world would consider music

Music is sound presented to consumers/audiences for their entertainment. Music is the term for sound arranged to entertain. What one is entertained by is a case by case situation, but your not being entertained does not disqualify a work whose aim is to entertain an audience you do not belong to.

There you go.

I like to think that like most things, music is whatever the fuck you want it to be. To me, music is audible sounds that people make or listen to for a purpose other than to simply make noise .

Music is organized sound manipulated through the use of a variety of technique.

music is bade

>forget that words exist so we can communicate with each other, they all mean whatever I want because I can't be arsed to look them up
>Hurr Durr subjective means I can argue nonsense because I don't know what that means either.
Not how language works, lad.

there is harmony in everything

youtube.com/watch?v=ADPk5PpkjMg

1) sound that contains at least one element of instrumentation or vocalization such as rhythm or beat 2) the majority of the sound was not produced accidentally 3) OR if 1 and 2 did not occur, the audience at least thought 1 and 2 would occur.

music, noun, a popular subject of semantic arguments, most frequently between teenagers on the internet

more like semitic arguments, nerd

Audio that is the product of some measure of effort, insight or skill

six million dead

So the sound of a yoga instructor telling fat girls to spread their legs is music, great.

You can just kind of say "that's music" or "that isn't music."