Electronic is not real music

>electronic is not real music

and who says this?

More like

>Electronic music has no soul

every faggot in the comments of any jazz/classical/blues/opera/classic rock video in youtube

Whenever I hear someone saying the old "it's just pushing buttons, no skill involved" mantra I want to lock them in a room with nothing but a computer until they come up with an actual good electro song. Shouldn't take long if it's so easy, right?

post links.

But it's impossible to make a good electro song

One of my old co-workers pulled this on me. Super big stoner jam-band kind of guy.

>Guy tells me he's a musician
>Ask what kind of music he plays
>"Electronic stuff, I make it all on my computer"
>mfw

>it's just pushing buttons
Yeah, like piano

>>electronic is not real music
Since
1) music is art, and
2) electronic music is not art,
It's reasonable to conclude that electronic is not music

i did this with a friend and he finally came to respect how hard it is to make a beat swing and not sound like dogshit, and he got that electronic is worthy as a genre

pink floyd made electronic music so dark side of the moon is not music/art. the beatles used a synthesizer. led zeppelin used synths.

Lock an electronic musician in a room with a guitar and see if he can compose a well-written song with interesting voice leading.

>pink floyd made electronic music so dark side of the moon is not music/art. the beatles used a synthesizer. led zeppelin used synths
Those artists made music with guitars, bass, drums and keyboards. What do you mean?

listen to "on the run" or "welcome to the machine" it's computers and electronic beat and synthesizers and effects via computer

>listen to "on the run"
Did you listen to the rest of the album?

i am an electronic artist and i play bass, violin, guitar and drums on my tracks and process some and add synths and use the computer to sequence (hello, every musician does this) and the result is not what you'd think, your limited knowledge of this genre makes you sound awfully dumb.

Probably not, hence they shouldn't say instrument-based music is trash (and I haven't really seen many people do that, it seems to always be the other way around).
The point is that if someone says it's too easy then let them try and realise it really isn't, it just takes a completely different set of skills.

so you can have an electronic song on your album and that's okay, but if an electronic artist has three he is not official music? you are fucking full of shit

>i am an electronic artist and i play bass, violin, guitar and drums on my tracks and process some and add synths and use the computer to sequence (hello, every musician does this) and the result is not what you'd think, your limited knowledge of this genre makes you sound awfully dumb.
I am an actual musician who records himself, creates my own samples and sequences them for my own compositions and the result is not what you'd think, your limited knowledge of this genre makes you sound awfully dumb.
>and I haven't really seen many people do that,
Oh your first week on Sup Forums?

Squarepusher plays bass, drums, electric piano and tons of instruments and has a purely jazz album with no bleeps. People here want to tear down electronic but know NOTHING about it.

>so you can have an electronic song on your album and that's okay
Correct because it has to do with the intent of the piece
>electronic artist
Nice circular logic

arguing with yourself

HAHA you are fucking full of shit! WOW

Not an argument

Not an argument

your too full of shit to argue with, you have no rationale for your pure hatred of electronic music and allow rock bands to make electronic but that doesn't count, that's not worth arguing. you are obtuse and ridiculous. this will go nowhere, i just told you squarepusher plays all the instruments but that isn't worthy because of the intent? that's fucking bullshit and you know. this whole thread is the same dadrock argument about pushing buttons and the assumption that all electronic artists don't play instruments or have classical training and know theory which is not true. it is such a varied genre and there is so much going on you don't know, you just sound close-minded

>you have no rationale
What do you mean? I juts explained it
>your pure hatred of electronic music
What hatred? I like Pink Floyd and The Beatles, and you just pointed out that they have made music that was electronic in nature. hence, I do not hate electronic music.
>i just told you squarepusher plays all the instruments but that isn't worthy because of the intent?
Correct. It's literally not my fault you don't understand my argument.
>assumption that all electronic artists don't play instruments
Quote me where I said this

you're all fucked up, you just argue logistics and never actually look at what someone means. it would take hours to get to a point. i think you are mentally ill and just argue for the sake of it

>you just argue logistics and never actually look at what someone means
Are you talking about yourself here?

Answer my question.

you're a faggot, fuck your argument.

i have no fucking idea what question you're even talking about. i've seen your posts here before and this shit goes for 200 posts and you just do this quoting shit and keep attacking with NOTHING, i don't even know what you're talking about.

>i have no fucking idea what question you're even talking about.

Trouble reading?
>assumption that all electronic artists don't play instruments
Can you quote me where I said this?

ah shit man, everybody is fucking anonymous here, how the hell would i know. NOW i know it's you with the neverending green bullshit and where you ask 'quote me' you just argue for no reason, like i said i've seen several of the threads with your bullshit and it fucking SUCKS

Are bleepfags the most easily triggered people on this board?

Still not answering the question. Try again
>like i said i've seen several of the threads with your bullshit
Link me to them.

ANSWER MY QUESTION

go fuck yourself, i'm done

>Trouble reading?

dadrockers

biggest pricks that much I know for sure

>ANSWER MY QUESTION
Sure. Restate your quetsion in a clear manner and I will

constantly defending against jazz/classical music theory dicks who are ten times more insane and prickish. must be your first rodeo

damn

>electronic is not real music
what a strange non sequitur

>jazz/classical music theory dicks
If you bleepers would have learned theory in the first place, you would barely have to

I find it fascinating that when you are talking to an uneducated person, they think you are talking down to them or being a dick.

Could it be just your anxiety about being uneducated about music?

Lol, even now, most EDM """"DJs"""" make their music with real keyboards, faggot

Does not make it music though, sorry.

>I enjoy emo

no i am proud of not having the traditional education, all my friends with training told me not to go that route and stay naive because they painted themselves into a corner of having the theory and ability to write and play what they wanted but could not sit and finish a piece. i have had a zillion arguments/discussions with friends like this and there are two types; jazz/classical guys who behave as superior and have no interest in electronic music and will not call it music - and then jazz/classical guys who know theory and love the possibilities in electronic music and are amazed and listen to it, even if they don't make it. but there is virtue in knowing a lot and virtue in not knowing because you can make 'mistakes' in music and create fresh sounds. but knowledge of programming and the actual production side of music being shunned by jazz guys as 'just technique' is very annoying because production itself is not comparable to playing music so it's a silly comparison. i think jazz guys assume that electronic guys are going to be impressed or intimidated by them and are showy, i mean look at the damn posts in these types of threads. but in reality we're in the same game, we're making music. it's sort of this thing of 'well but you'll never invent what jazz and classical did for theory' as if electronic artists give a flying fuck. who cares about the prestige. but yeah, there is a tendency to defend 'you just push buttons' because we can play instruments too, grimes can play violin on an album, aphex twin can play piano, squarepusher can play bass live, etc. a little respect for the genre would be cool. i guess we're not there yet, and this IS a dadrock board

>all my friends with training told me not to go that route and stay naive because they painted themselves into a corner of having the theory and ability to write and play what they wanted but could not sit and finish a piece.
This is indicative of lack of artistic talent. Theory has nothing to do with that. You are not that intelligent

Also you never answered my question. Try again? I thought you were "done"?

hey man, whatever. i don't need to be smart, i feel music. and i am about to buy a house from streaming and downloads. it is working for me. and fuck off with your question

I mean ut does feel less 'human' ,denying this is admitting you're retarded

you haven't listened to much

>and i am about to buy a house from streaming and downloads
Wow! I am so proud of you user! You will look so pretty playing with it after school!

you're funny. you think there aren't artists making money on this board. the whole board is musicians. i am not suddenly above a stupid mu argument just because my shit is out there and paying me.

>uses """real""" instruments
>"still not music because i dont like it!"

Quote me where I made either of these arguments

like i said, you're just funny. you might even post about my music, i've seen it here plenty of times. you might listen to it. that's why this board is fun, it's anonymous. you'd be surprised by the people who post here for fun. and sometimes for thoughtful discussion. but the green quote 'where did i say this' guy is too much to argue with, it never ends. and you are being silly and want to believe everyone on this board is a failure. i think you might be projecting with that picture. c'mon, man. you're probably making music or studying yourself! why the fuck else would you be here

First one was me saying that they use real instruments.

Second one is saying "still not real music" for no reason.

>Second one is saying "still not real music" for no reason.
I already explained it. Didn't you read the thread

>you might even post about my music
You won't

electronic is likely the most versatile method of music creation

there was a thread about it here last night, a week ago, the week before that. probably more i didn't see. it's posted here quite a bit.

It's less human because when a person plays an instrument the time between each individual note isn't the same making it more emotional,most electronic music has perfect timing

Sure.

Different user, but you only feel this way because of conditioning. You are only used to hearing real play music imprecisely. 100 years from now, people will be used to hearing music more precisely executed via computers, and will probably consider it human

"most" maybe, but plenty artists play all the instruments because they feel like you do. bjork makes 'electronic music' to some people but she has real players with harps, fltutes, etc. and her voice and then she does micro-editing to make beats and they'll sample snow or use a drum and then process it a bit with a computer but it's WAY more organic than you think. boards of canada too. these people are so mucn more knowing of the 'push buttons' nonsense and escaping it by making more organic music but if you focus on dumb techno or a shitty electronica-infused band, you don't know the genre about which you speak.

and i'm not the only one. ok please give me another picture

>if you focus on dumb techno or a shitty electronica-infused band, you don't know the genre about which you speak.
But you are also cherry picking the "good" artists
Enjoy your house user!

so well informed people, well mimnus the rockisists

i am sorta cherry picking examples of people who i know what they do and how they make their music enough to say with certainty that it's super organic. i wasn't saying bjork is good.

seriously, i can't wait for this fucking dream to come true! it's a really cool house that has a room that is like a warehouse it's so huge and i can put all my instruments and media and shit in there and paint and do whatever, and it's really got this open feeling like the place is one big room. way out away from any roads in the woods. probably gonna have bears. i don't mind. it's like exactly how i envisioned a house to suit me.

Yay! I'm excited for you user! You'll be able to fit all your dollies in it!

i have a friend who is in a band that's pretty big, they got a pitchfork and spin review and people post an album they did in 2015 very often here, and he still has a job because they're not at the point where every band member has big stacks, they haven't toured in a while, etc. and he told he will come here when there's a thread about the band or album and post misinformation to fuck with people. it's pretty common that people who are making a living off music are still here, lurking. i'm not rich. i'm not well-known. but people put the shit on playlists and there are a lot of albums and it just adds up.

Cool your friend sounds great! I wonder if you'll continue talking about him and yourself but without giving any specific details that can be traced to anything verifiable at all?

well fucking damn dude, i am purposefully not giving you shit. i don't want you to know.

Oh no! What a fucking travesty I will never know who some dipshit on Sup Forums *really* was!

hey man, we're all just human beings. we're all dipshits to someone. i just can't understand why you doubt a person on mu can have some success. i have seen it in several threads, and a few have given their identity. and definitely lots of musicians here who make some kind of weird shit that is super popular for a dumb reason like videogame type stuff but they have deals all over and get paid, and so they might be a little embarrassed to be like "hey check me out!" it's a business. some people just write lame shit for cnn or something and are set for life. and often musicians like that are extreme nerds and would come here.

>eletornic music is just pushin buttns

>electronic music isn't button-pushing because it's mouse clicks on my VST presets

you're probably a musician who is insecure and jealous of anyone's success. you shouldn't be, you should believe in yourself and know whatever you do can have an audience and make a career for you. but if you just want to be silly, that's cool. it's kinda funny you getting these great pics

Thanks for the support!

except when everything is an instrument plugged in to an amp and a regular song is made and then electronic elements are added but you don't know that because you're not knowledgable about the genre and/or want to trigger me or whoever else is here but i am taking some time to be honest and sincere, and you are just being a doofus. so really, come with a word. or bring green quote man back, i'll answer whatever the hell his question was, and then i gotta jet

i love you, you are a beautiful person. are you a scorpio?

>except when everything is an instrument plugged in to an amp and a regular song is made and then electronic elements are added but you don't know that because you're not knowledgable about the genre and/or want to trigger me
But you just said I was a musician in this post Which is it?

>are you a scorpio?
I will tell you if you answer my question from earlier

this confuses me. i do think you're a musician but what you're saying about electronic music seems to convey a lack of knowledge about how its made and that it isn't pushing buttons as the dadrockers insist. that is some lame shit i've heard for years.
also confused here (not intelligent, remember)
please rephrase and i'll give ya what i got

>I do think you're a musician but what you're saying about electronic music seems to convey a lack of knowledge about how its made
That's because you keep thinking my argument is based upon "real vs fake instruments", which it is not. Obviously an instrument is any tool used to create sound, from a rock to microKorg to the human voice.

The question was, could you quote me where I made the assumption that all electronic artists don't play instruments

wtf dude i want a house too can i have one

okay sorry, you got lumped in with the broad generalization argument of real vs fake and "it takes no talen to turn a knob" etc. the usual dadrock commentary. however, there was just a house photo posted with a comment that confused me and made think you were saying it's just vst presets. i make electronic music and never use any presets, it's all played with real instruments but nobody would believe that because of how it sounds with some processing.

anyone can have a house and should expect one if they are persistent with their music to the point that they believe in it enough to release it and feel that sting of initial failure when no one cares, but be patient and keep doing it and be easy about it and keep it fun and you will get where you want to be.it is fun to share this feeling, a mu artist having success means anybody here can too.

no, i cannot. but that was someone else who said that to you. although i confused someone else with you

You'll have to stream your music user! That's the way to make big bank!

For instance, I make $0.002 per play. For me to qualify for a home loan I'd have to have 100,000,000 plays per month as a verifiable income! Better start now!

those figures are inaccurate, you get paid more than that and with a multitude of platforms it may be any one of them where you have crazy amounts of plays, plus factor if you have loads of music available and a sudden interest in that sound you've got and people talking and shit takes off, the streams ad up and from so many songs getting so many plays from so many services you can eventually be in a place to afford what you want.

>those figures are inaccurate you get paid more than that
kek This is why I know you're full of shit. It is indeed fractions of cent.

Enjoy your tea party though

yes but downloads pay more and yes t is fractions but even my end of the album tracks or too long tracks that have fewer streams will still get a million plays. and i have like i dunno 11 releases depending on which format fully having it all, it's probably 23 or something if you count it all but not all is on a streaming service. there is also some physical releases and vinyl but streaming actually pays. of course, it's not much but saying you need 100 million plays is not accurate considering all the services and how they pay, and i am forgetting licensing deals too, sorry. so yeah, it isn't ALL streaming

Nice! Enjoy your house!

>57151▶
you're being a cheesedick and you never answered MY question. actually a few. you are just fucking with me, you don't have anything serious to add. but i respect your commitment.