"all country is bad"

Today a coworker told me he believes every country song that has ever been written is bad. Others that heard him agreed with him. I asked him if Hank Williams and Willie Nelson are bad artists, and they all agreed that folk country is not the same as country. I was surprised at how many people w(only 3 in the group) were okay with this blanket statement. Does anyone here share this opinion? Not going to argue just curious. Tell me why

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Snw7twrb7Ek
youtu.be/t-9OLMsmKdA
youtu.be/-mp2frwbhzo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They were parroting each other to make the argument seemingly in their favor (typical norman tactic) but as we of course know, a naive blanket statement such as that will not suffice.
The term "folk country" in regards to Willie and especially Hank is actually wrong and completely moronic seeing as how Hank basically laid the groundwork on what the zeitgeist of country music essentially is, it does not get more country than Hank Williams. To say both artists, especially Hank fucking Williams is furthermore retarded because most of Hank's repitoire are NOT folk songs, Hank Williams wrote most of his material. Willie Nelson dipped his into folk songs of course but like Hank his original material outweighs folk songs.
You should have pressed them on their vague usage of "folk country" but god forbid you press them, god forbid they are talking out of their ass, god forbid they even talk about music let alone country in the first place. God forbid their entire statements, arguments and articulations are founded on vague statements and parroting.
But after all "it's just music bro", "it's just recorded sound", why do we care so much?
Why do I care so much? Why do WE care so much?
We must be fun at parties.

I like bluegrass

it stems from the post-millennium music meme of "oh i listen to everything really EXCEPT COUNTRY LOL"

I love country music. It is masculine, white, wholesome, catchy and cool. That is my personal opinion.

I will say, most people treat music as an accessory. They listen to what they do for the sake of status. Hence why a lot of them don't like country music, because it doesn't enhance their "coolness" like Drake and Migos or whatever. This mainly concerns normalfags.

They listen to what they do for the sake of status. Hence why a lot of them don't like country music, because it doesn't enhance their "coolness" like Drake and Migos or whatever. This mainly concerns normalfags.
This.

I am a big fan of american folk music and country is a big favourite of mine, however a lot of people have a repulsion from it.
Even more weird is the fact that I am from Croatia and am nowhere near America, and still people hate on country.

Most people today are taught to only listen to emasculated indie and negro music and shit like that. They couldn't ever even begin to comprehend, let alone appreciate an artist like Townes Van Zandt or the few you mentioned.

I always thought that Hank Williams was one of the original "heart-throbs". Yeah, it is country but like
says, he laid the groundwork on the zeitgeist of what would become modern day pop.

His songs hold up, like on The The's cover album, Hanky Panky.

I used to say that I listened to everything except country because at the time my exposure to country was the stuff of the 70s onward like Barbara Mandrel (sp?) and Kenny Rodgers but really those were light pop rock with a country twang. And then came the country rock like Garth Brooks, etc..

Where I come from that stuff was ubiquitous and seemingly pedestrian to me so things like The Cure were far more appealing as a teenager (of course).

I wouldn't make that blanket statement anymore, OP. And folk country, I think, was an extension of the traditional troubadour ballads and stuff like that brought over by immigrants and dumbed down in Appalachia as the tunes got shared and passed around.

>now I'm ramblin'

most people who bag on country music probably mean modern country music, which is almost universally complete fucking dogshit end to end, while paying proper deference to your johnnies and waylons and lees and willies and so on

it is racism

I absolutely hate pop country (mah truck dog america usa usa shit), but some old country songs are amazing. I especially like it when a non-country band does country.

My favorite country song is by Phil Ochs:
youtube.com/watch?v=Snw7twrb7Ek

>Willie Nelson
>country

Pick one

is Gunfighter Ballads country?

[squidbillies theme intensifies]

Normies just hate on country because it's an ebin meme and they probably never heard a country song in their lives, but there is a clear separation between good country from the likes of Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash, and the saccharine shit that is pop country.

>its not folk country lol ur fuckin dumb
boom, you just won the argument

Cracker had a good album called Countrysides that was half covers and some of them punk songs or stuff like Springsteen and some originals (It Ain't Gonna Suck Itself was a fuck off to Virgin records). Anyways, that link reminded me of some of their sound.

>vehicles 1400

Country Western

Country is basically American folk music that has a weird name, there's absolutely nothing wrong with liking some deeper country cuts

hank williams isnt 'folk country'

I now declare this a post good country thread
youtu.be/t-9OLMsmKdA

youtu.be/-mp2frwbhzo

What about Spade Cooley? Would you say it's country?
I'm not american, so I don't have a bad association with country music. There is a lot of it, and a lot is bad, but there are some artist that I really like and they are cataloged as country. I love almost everything from the Bakersfield sound.

HANK WILLIAMS IS A GODDAMN SPOKANE INDIAN

The music is associated with a negative stereotype that doesn't actually fit its subject matter (there are exceptions of course). And yet those same people defend the merits of hip hop despite its overt display of negative stereotypes. Poor white people.

Based user that actually has an understanding of how normalfags function in the real world. I love country music for the same reason. Not just 20 minutes ago I was listening to Merle Haggard in my car. I dislike rap music for the obverse reasons.

Thought this thread said "alt-country is bad" at first. That would be a refreshingly correct opinion

>tfw singer-songwriter in Texas
>the only other songwriter guys I ever met were "alt-country"
>mfw they sang cringey lyrics with a fake twang over G C D

Country is amazing. That guy is mentally retarded.

Fuck you

country from the '20s through to the '70s is the shit. these retards are probably using pop crap like jason aldean and tim mcgraw as their entire frame of reference.

Obviously country isn't going to be for everybody, but I've come to realize that the reason so many people seem to have such knee jerk blanket hatred of the entire genre is most likely a cultural thing. In a lot people's minds country is the music that socially backward white trash rednecks listen to and so by shitting on country they signaling that aren't part this undesirable group.

This to be quite honest. Plus:
"Southern Accent" = Racist

WillIe Nelson's best albums are Outlaw Country and Americana.

Why would you give someone with a retarded opinion like that the time of day