Listening to their albums for the first time

Listening to their albums for the first time.
What am I in for?

Some pretty good grungy alt rock/metal for the first couple albums (think heavier Smashing Pumpkins/Soundgarden), then some pretty good, kinda proggy stuff beyond that (length and time sig wise, they've got an alright amount of technicality, but they hardly compare even to groups like Dream Theater). You aren't going to ascend to the astral plane by listening to lateralus, but you're in for a good time nonetheless

Undertow = Opiate > Aenima > Salival > Lateralus > 10,000 Days

Their best song is Aenema btw

This. Don't let anyone know you've listened to Tool or you'll attract a lot of gross white dudes with neckbeards that think liking something in an 11/8 time signature makes them demigods of musical taste.

Tool has one of the worst fanbases.

Tool is cool wank
Dream Theater is lame wank

Boring softrock dronefest

some dank shit, watch their music videos

Akchually
AEnima>Opiate>Lateralus>Undertow+=10,000 Days

HAHA GOOD ONE

Not necessarily. It's only a loud minority of the fanbase. Same with the R&M fanbase. The media is alright, but the fanbase can be bad in some cases.

Eh, Tool is pretty good imo - most of us seem to agree that the music is good, but the fanbase is probably shit.

AEnima>Lateralus>Undertow>10,000 Days

can't say I've really listened to any of their other stuff. I think their live shit is pretty good desu

the best prog rock group since KC thats what

basically this

AEnima > Lateralus > 10,000 Days > Undertow

just keep in mind, their singer has nothing to do with the writing process of the music

Lateralus>Aenima>10,000 Days>Opiate>Undertow

A bunch of songs in the same key

Why does Sup Forums hate Tool so much? Honestly thought their albums are the most Sup Forums-core things ever

Lateralus & Aenima & 10k days

listen to these albums only

The majority of Sup Forums are just contrarians for the sake of being contrarian.

They take themselves very seriously despite not being very good or exciting, corny pseud lyrics, Maynard being an idiot... If you want to hear what Tool are trying to do but done well listen to Catch 33 by Meshuggah or even Chaosphere

Depends if you like lyrics or not. If you're a lyric person you'll see a sharp incline of hate and disgust at the world which culminates into a sort of high spot where there's a realization in the divine nature of mankind and the synthesis of the shadow self in order to become a more complete person in touch with the flow and nature of existence. Which then goes back to hating everything, but in a more objective, arguably more positive way.

If you're not a lyric person, expect off-timed beats, strange uncomfortable bridges, and the droning "ambience" that fills the whole album with no breaks. 1 in 5 Tool songs are good, but when they're good they're great. The rest are "meh" at best.

ok so they're like nickelback/foo fighters but get this
they're also prog
why would anyone want this

the forbidden fruit

There's a reason the fanbase is what it is.

The music is pretty dark. It attracts people with problems.

That being said all their albums are pretty great imo. I can't stand them anymore though, they are played to death.

>the fanbase is bad

I keep seeing this but why would I care what the fans are saying? Where do I even find other Tool fans? I just don't understand the logic of "I don't like the people who like it, therefore I shouldn't enjoy it". Why do you even care who's listening to it. I only care about the music.

boring mellow prog

listen to rush instead

Not trendy enough

Not metal.

>but they hardly compare even to groups like Dream Theater

holy fucking shit dude

Correct. Undertow and Opiate are two of the biggest pleb filters from the 90s

A good time, aenima is best album

He's right, Danny Carey may match portnoy but Jones and chancellor aren't in the same universe as petrucci and myung

Justin has a much better tone and many more interesting basslines than that autistic chink

Dream Theater is the worst band that ever got labelled as "prog"

>They take themselves very seriously
mmm not really

You're in for some really complex, well-thought out music with pretty dark lyricism. Try not to let Tool fans get to you, though. They can be pretty shit sometimes (a lot of the time) since a lot of them think listening to Tool makes them smarter than fans of other music
Hit the nail on the head here, except Tool are better than Dream Theater
Their best song is "Eulogy," pleb
Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy is lame wankery. Their records with Portnoy range from good to great in my opinion

>autistic chink

fucking kek

Sup Forums likes to read Youtube comments to feel better about themselves

>corny pseud lyrics, Maynard being an idiot
this mostly.

>indie soy cucklords Pitchfork gave Lateralus 1 in an autistic fit
>Sup Forums is populated by Pitchfork worshiping avant teenagers who can't formulate their own independent opinions

Not mad.

Then what are they ya dumb fuck, grunge?

What's so bad about dream theater?
I've only listened to their first two albums but I thought they were pretty good.

Nothing, they're a spectacular band up to octavarium. People hate em because they intentionally write challenging passages and indulge their virtuosity with 15-45 minutes songs or suites, which gets written off as wank. Justin Chancellor and Adam Jones could never in their lives play the dance of eternity.

Tool is a solid band. Undertow is their best in my opinion, with Aenima being a close second.

Anima is their worst imo

Anyone into drums here? Which part is your favorite? Rosetta Stoned for me.

whoops, i meant Undertow

The grudge during the intro right before the bass break where he keeps doubling the bass drums

Maynard has alaways said that people who think Tool think take themselves seriously are fucking idiots

Stop comparing different albums from different times and different stages of the artist's journey. Also it's a question of taste so your judgement is irrelevant.

Because people who write shit like that are overly inscure kids

Well maybe he said it because he didn't want people to think that lol

Could it be that most of them are just jelly? Not many good artists are blessed with success like that.

This is why Tool sucks btw.
Whenever you hear Tool fans talk about they like about the songs, it's always "this part" or "that part"

>they suck because of their fans
?

He asked for a favorite drum part dude. What the fuck are you on about?

He was also referring to his own fans

And I totally get him. Tool has a huge fan base. It isn't easy being in a spotlight like that. Yet, it pays well.

yeah you're right let's all just sit here in silence and not talk about anything, faggot

Is your comprehension of discussing music is by rating it by personal preference and call people names when someone just like you disagrees because their preferences? I keep forgetting in what a sad state mu is.

He's also said that his work was meant to be a 'tool' for life's obstacles. I like Maynard but he'll say contradicting things like anyone else. He's probably just sick and tired of every fan coming to him with a story about how tool saved their life and other shit that he's heard over and over

they name literally means dick

>ok so they're like nickelback/foo fighters
what lmao