Good bass for beginner

what bass should i buy that's cheap and suitable for a beginner

Anything's suitable for a beginner. And define cheap. I got a used made in mexico fender jazz bass and that was pretty cheap

Whatever is under $200 with an amp on Craigslist. Then spend $50 getting it setup by a professional. That's literally the cheapest way to get a bass that should last years. Any cheaper and we're into disposable Chinesium.

that's my problem, I don't even know what would be considered cheap when buyin such an instrument

thanks, user. very good answer

Keep in mind the "setup" part is basically adjusting the truss rod (the metal bit inside the neck), the bridge (where strings connect at the bottom) and the nut (the bit of plastic where the fretboard starts) so your bass is smooth to play without fret buzzing. A bad setup can make it either more difficult to play, make it buzz, or both.

Squier basses are good

never heard that brand before

oh, shit, yeah ive seen them before

and could i possibly make a good set up myself? i actually never knew of that step when buying an instrument

It is Fender's entry level guitars.

If you like Fenders, get a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe bass. Good bang for buck and they're stageworthy. If you're America, they should be pretty cheap on somewhere like Sweetwater.

Listen to samples on Youtube to get a holistic idea of what a Jazz Bass sounds like vs. a Precision Bass and so on to figure out what type you like.

i live in Chile

People shit on Squiers but the new ones are actually really good for the price. I've got a 50s P-Bass from them and it's a genuinely very good instrument. I'd say sink a little bit of money into getting a high end Squier or a low end Mexican Fender, and then get a cheap-ass amp because you don't need a good one to practice

ive played a lot of basses and if you can put down $300 get a music man sub ray. plays and sounds better than more expensive shit

could you recomend an amp brand? something that lasts

I'd recommend the Squier Vintage Modified series of basses. The build quality has the classic Fender feel, and the tone is pretty nice, especially with Rotosound strings (recommend the RS66LD).

Someone in /gg/ said that the most versatile setup is PJ, is that versatile enough for my needs? I'll mainly play generic pop rock and megadeth type metal

First of all what type of music will you be playing. Once your figure that out you can decide whether you'll need an active or passive bass. From there on you should try out several basses at your nearest guitar shop, that way you can get a feel and sample the various tones. Personally I recommend the Ibanez SR300 series for beginners because it allows alot of growth to be had. The SR300 has 24 frets to boot, active EQ circuit, and a very fast playing neck.

>Someone in /gg/ said

Stop right there. Don't ever go into that shithole.

I'm a filthy crossboarder and know jack shit about bass though

You could but you're just as liable to break something. If you feel like you can learn from tutorials and do it right the first time, be my guest.

Peavy MicroBass made before production was sent to China

i'd rather not try and break a brand new bass. how do i pay someone for the set up?

You paid the store guys of course, reputable or responsible music stores usually have someone who can do that

thanks for the explanation