Doctor Who General - /who/

Old geezer edition.

Erstwhile on /who/:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/805099344718397440
bigfinish.com/news/v/gallifrey---special-offers
doctorwhotv.co.uk/roberts-explains-why-ian-chesterton-didnt-appear-in-the-caretaker-67324.htm
youtu.be/1svA2sGhDEE?t=6s
strawpoll.me/11793217
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But doesn't time pass differently inside the cabinet? Maybe they wanted it to feed off the time energy

Gareth calls Capaldi "an old man who turns everything to shit"

twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/805099344718397440

We're heading back to the Doctor's home planet for this weekend's collection of special offers on Gallifrey...

This weekend, we''ve got special offer prices on much of our much-loved 12-year old series set around the machinations and adventures of the Doctor's people on Gallifrey, starring Lalla Ward, Louise Jameson, John Leeson, Mary Tamm, Juliet Landeau, Sophie Aldred and Sean Carlsen with a host of faces familiar from Doctor Who and Big Finish as guest stars...

bigfinish.com/news/v/gallifrey---special-offers

But he does actually do that in the episode

Are the war doctor audios any good? Does anyone actually avidly listen to big finish? What do you do when you listen to them? Look at the wall? I'm not new to big finish myself.

>Are the war doctor audios any good?
Not very, too much technobabble. They did have some worthwhile plots though
>Does anyone actually avidly listen to big finish?
Not avidly. I only listen to 8th Doctor because he's the only one whose tv run I completed
>What do you do when you listen to them? Look at the wall?
I usually play chess.

He 'what?'s too much.
Not in a David Tennant way, but audible italics is the only way to describe it.

what the fuck is he doing? he's literally never going to write another episode of doctor who, not even books/audios. and if other shows see his tweets they won't hire someone who's willing to publically shit on stuff like that. what an idiot.

Guess he's assuming the Librarians gig is a secure one, maybe he has a long-term contract or something

Capaldi got him fired or something, allegedly, which may explain it

BASED CAPALDI
A
S
E
D

We go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

Can anyone confirm the "types of Doctor Who fans should kill themselves" quote?

test

So what did /who/ think of the Class finale? I thought it was a pretty meh finale to a pretty meh series, but the tease at the end almost makes me wish for a second season. Finally something that justifies being a Doctor Who spinoff.

He's referring to Moffat dumbass.

No he's not, read the thread.

The show is fundamentally broken and filled with useless characters and finale still haven't saved it. And Shadowkin suck, I can't stress enough how much they suck.

The teaser is interesting, but since I hate Weeping Angels, I'm not hyped in any way. And considering how Ames stared at the angel and then died, makes me think she died of fright or something.

>The Doctor
>Several mentions of UNIT
>Allusions to the Zygon Exodus to Earth
>Names of the dead (C. Oswald)
>Mr. Armitage
>COAL HILL
It's been pretty justified this whole time. People either whine that something relies too heavily on references or hasn't got enough references.

As for the episode, it was the most exciting one of the season. I just wish that every episode had been written so well, but I imagine that I only liked it so much because all of the other ones were lackluster.

Does anybody else ever have to rewind A LOT with Class? The Shadowkin I can almost never understand, and I often find that I can't understand a lot of what Charlie says when he gets emotional. April sometimes mutters, too.
I've never had trouble understanding Ram or Mattheus, but I had a little trouble with Tanya in the beginning. "Likethattowneienwunceuponnatyme."

>that bodyswap at the end
what the fuck?

I didn't have to rewind, instead I had to pause every 3 minutes and do something else for an hour, lest I couldn't tolerate it.

Sorry, I just reread what you wrote and I read it wrong. Dismiss what I said.

>And considering how Ames stared at the angel and then died, makes me think she died of fright or something.
She closed her eyes when she screamed.

I found the Shadowkin pretty hard to understand but I didn't have a problem with any of the human characters. What I did have to do a few times was go back because I got bored and just zoned out during an important plot development.

The premise of Class really doesn't work because nobody is good for anything. I mean, the entire second episode is resolved by evil alien eating evil human and fucking off while "protagonists" just sit around. They are just arbitrarily given spotlight, while being nothing more than distressed damsels for Quill to babysit, beside April who sometime has magic powers.

The show would make some much more sense if it was grouped around April. "Teenage girl gains alien powers during invasion" is very young-adult premise, but it would justify the cast. Ram is her normal boyfriend to ground in reality. If Charlie is an alien prince maybe he could be educated and know things about aliens? And if Tanya is a genius, she could be the one who can help him in his work. And Quill is a cunt this is why we love her, she can be an antagonistic mentor. Here, we have somewhat cliche, but workable character dynamics.

>the entire second episode is resolved by evil alien eating evil human and fucking off while "protagonists" just sit around.
Well the protagonists did persuade the alien to do it.

William Russell will be dead soon and Ian Chesterton will have never returned onscreen.

They had the perfect oppurtunity to have a Ian cameo in caretaker.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/roberts-explains-why-ian-chesterton-didnt-appear-in-the-caretaker-67324.htm

> Speaking to CultBox, Roberts said “I just thought [including Ian in ‘The Caretaker’] would be too much of a distraction. I think that’s an episode all of its own. I thought, particularly after the 50th, where there were lots of references to past Doctor Who, sometimes you need to just put your foot on the accelerator and keep going forward.”

Gareth a SHIT.

That's Gareth!

GARETH!

then why set the episode in Coal Hill?

I haven't watched this show since the doctor punched through a wall of diamonds for millions of years.
What'd I miss?

Fucking GARETH

You miss a finale that left me going "Why?" and a pretty comfy Christmas special, that's pretty much it, we big finish and book club now.

I agree with this.

God forbid a "distraction" in that masterpiece of an episode.

Post funny Capals.

Because that's where Clara and Danny teach.
>but why
Because muh 50th.

Besides, you guys are forgetting that Ian now teaches at Cambridge and hasn't aged since 1965. This is canon according to The Sarah Jane Adventures

GET OUT

But everything would have been so much better if "I was a soldier" didn't exist

>Evolution of the Daleks pt. 2

I've been listening to big finish recently and really enjoying it.
I normally sit and play Xbox with it on as I listen or I listen to them on journeys

I'm listening to Hive365 radio and someone called "cats12mct" is using shoutouts to argue with the host about kanye west.

Do you think it's him or just a copyCat?

Sounds like he's referring to Moffat to me. They were talking about characters being a metaphor for Moffat, and That's Gareth! describes the Doctor as "a rude Scottish old man who literally turns everything to shit" which isn't an insult to the Doctor or Capaldi, that's exactly what he is in that episode ("The sewers are revolting!"), but it could be seen as describing Moffat.

>tfw too intellectual to misunderstand Gareth's bitter tweets

Class spoiler: youtu.be/1svA2sGhDEE?t=6s

this reaction image is going to be Class' sole legacy on /who/

fuck off gareth

>They were talking about characters being a metaphor for Moffat,
But they were specifically talking about Davros.

>Though you can't help feel he really identifies with Davros in that story. Locked in a room, undervalued.
>And then confronted by a rude Scottish old man who literally turns everything to shit.
In the story the Doctor is a rude, old, Scottish man who confronts Davros and turns everything to shit. Gareth is saying that in real life Capaldi is a rude, old, Scottish man who confronts Moffat and turns everything to shit.

>tfw I am the only one truly intelligent enough to understand Gareth

this was me btw

>In the story the Doctor is a rude, old, Scottish man who confronts Davros and turns everything to shit. Gareth is saying that in real life Capaldi is a rude, old, Scottish man who confronts Moffat and turns everything to shit.

This. That's just Gareth's fallback if anyone calls him out on it. "Haha just joking, talking about the episode haha XD" Like when he said Capaldi was miscast and when someone called him out on it "I never said that I love Capaldi haha"

Nah. I get that it's phrased in a complicated way but I think it's more likely that gareth considers moffat, the showrunner, to be a rude old Scottish man who turned doctor who to shit, rather than an actor

it could be seen as either one though so perhaps we shall never know

didn't ask

I like the idea of Doctor Who more than the actual show itself

50 years and not once has this show ever lived up to its full potential

64th for I WANT TO [BE FRIENDS WITH] PREGNANT Q U I L L

>not once has this show ever lived up to its full potential

I blame the BBC

I want to hold hands with Quill.

I want to see Quill force April to give her oral sex

>tanya fighting off giant shadow warriors with big fuck off swords after LITERALLY 5 minutes training in CQC

What an awful,.awful character she continues to be

>What an awful,.awful character she continues to be
I stopped watching Class awhile ago but I find it hilarious how you people are still mad at her for her really mild 'white people' jokes in the first episode lmao

If she was white she'd still be an awful character. Worse, even, because at least her racial prejudices give her some kind of flaw.

strawpoll.me/11793217

>continues
>implying Class won't be cancelled

>her racial prejudices

It'll take more than low ratings and lukewarm reception to get the BBC to drop a show they can use to peddle multikulti claptrap to hip and trendy teens

So how bad will the ratings for BBCA be?

>people finished class

Sup Forums has such shit taste.

>literally no one cares about Class
>it's going to get cancelled
>the Christmas Special and Series 10 are going to completely overshadow it and everyone will forget it ever existed

JUST

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if most Doctor Who fans didn't even know it existed. Not just TV watchers in general, but people who consider themselves fans of Doctor Who specifically.

For the first spin-off in years, it was such a non-event.

Yeah it had basically no marketing. And they have advertised it at New York Comic Con but its not even airing until next year?? Huge flop.

b-but nobody cares about Doctor Who really anymore either so maybe Class and the parent show will share the same fate

>one episode of S9 probably got more viewers than every episode of Class combined

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that the weeping angels ruined the class finale?

>implying class could be 'ruined'

You can't make a piece of shit any better or worse.

No, it had much larger problems than the tacked on tease for the next series.

Reminder that Donna's dream scenes in Forest of the Dead are among the best things Moffat's ever written for Who.

They ruined it by making me wish the episode was about them instead of the shitty fucking shadowkin.

Read the tweet conversation
They're talking about TMA/TWF
In that story, capaldi talks to davros and he's responsible for the rotten dalek gunk in the sewers rising up and engulfing the daleks

ie 'an old man who turns everything to shit'

It's actually a joke about the episode and not an attack on capaldi's character

I don't think people appreciate enough how fucking funny Corakinus' face looks. Holy shit. I was struggling not to laugh at certain parts of the climax when he was staring at the screen, that fucking mask design combined with his bulging eyes.

Give credit where it's due, PNess actually made them follow through with an unwinnable situation - there was no 'press this button for happy ending after all' like doctor who pussies into most of the time
The aftermath of that would actually be interesting to watch, too bad it won't get renewed since they did the absolute shittest job of marketing imaginable

two men in their mid twenties with matured facial hair growth patterns pretend to be 17 year olds having gay sex

Things better than that thing you just said
>clara sees old 11
>12 sees old clara
>heaven sent

Agreed. If it was meant to campy then it would be fine but were clearly meant to take it seriously.

The shadowkin were a mistake
>so dark you can barely interpret what you're looking at, made worse by the smoke effect they overlay on them
>distorted voices make them difficult to understand (yet somehow swapping consciousnesses causes april's voice to happen inside that body?)

They would have been cool as a silent intimidating force maybe

doctor who more like doctor poo

class more like ass