What's Sup Forums's final verdict on Hacksaw Ridge?

What's Sup Forums's final verdict on Hacksaw Ridge?

It won't get the Oscar for best picture but goddamn Mel deserves it.

Absolute warkino/10

>Invents his own form a pacifism
>Forces it upon everyone around him
>In the end every character comes to personally apologize for not being open minded

SJW propaganda.

What about it is Oscar worthy? Did you even see it?

couldve been 10/10

but andrew garfield brings it down to a 7/10

Fucking incredible. Sup Forums will hate it because it's actually great.

cool battle scenes but there was very poor character development (if any at all) and all the parts before he ships out were poorly done imo.

6.5/10

>Did you even see it?
I was going to ask you the same thing about you.

The beginning to the era of Christkino.

i hate this board

fucking kikes

I had points to make. You haven't got shit.

Pretty much this. The only reason that Sup Forums is defending it so hard is because of Mel even though they can't admit it's the worst film he's directed.

Garfield is a miscast for sure. His accent seemed forced, his hair looked ridiculous for the time period, and his young, gentler face stood out like a sore thumb compared to everybody else he fought with.

The combat scenes looked great at times are horrible at others. The gore effects were done very well to some and looked disturbingly real, but the soldiers shot like Call of Duty characters, hip firing BARs and whatever puny pellet gun Vaughn used. A little consistency there would have been nice.

Nothing too clever or unique about it. I guess Mel thinks making movies praising "real life angels" will buy him entry to Heaven, but I am pretty happy the guy is getting work considering he's pretty good at what he does, despite heavy handed//semi-forced messages.

I was too familiar with the real story to just Write off the fact that he had served for nearly 4 years before he got to okinawa and they made it seem like he started doing all that shit on his first day of action. He also fought in guam and the philippines. There was a great opportunity to develop relationships between him and his fellow soldiers but they didn;t bother. Also, he didn't volunteer like in the movie, he was drafted.

10/10

My 2nd favorite film of the year.

>hip firing BARs

this really triggered me, especially because a BARs ammunition lasts for like 2.5 seconds in full auto (only 20 round magazines) and that dude just kept on firing and firing.

Also Vince fucking Vaughn?

Come on.

kino

what was your 1st?

Like all Mel movies it has the same level of subtlety as the scene where Doss drags Sarge on a magic carpet as he helps him kill hundreds of Japs while bravely maintaining his pacifism

Thought Garfield was great in it. The only time I've ever enjoyed him in a movie.

Civil War

Zootopia

Batman V Superman

Suicide Squad

/Christkino/

>andrew garfield brings it down to a 7/10
First he ruins Hacksaw Ridge.
Now hes gonna ruin Silence.

Bait

Hack is right.

meh/10

you mean first he ruins spiderman.
and everything else hes in. (except social network where he played a douche so it worked out well)

Best film of 2016

>SJW propaganda.
pic related its you

Generally corny with great battle scenes. The only reason anybody went to see it anyway was for those scenes, so it's fine.

Shin Godzilla, ironically enough.

Jesus isn't a pacifist. The Bible isn't a pacifist book. The Apostles weren't pacifists. The Church Fathers weren't pacifists. Christianity isn't a pacifist religion.

doesn't matter faggot, it was a testament to the resiliency of a man's beliefs and his will to stay true to himself and stand up for what he believed was right. not that any of you would know anything about something like that.

His beliefs were heretical and not based on the teachings of Christ or His followers.

What's the point of "staying true to your beliefs" when your beliefs are lies?

you really don't see what's admirable about the character? he risked being detained in military prison for god knows how long because he wouldn't waver in his beliefs, accurate or not. and it isn't like he believed in something evil, he wanted to keep people alive. i don't know much about the bible, so i can't argue your point on whether or not the pacifism bit is true but i know "love your brother as i love you" is a very common phrase in christianity.

Never seen somebody miss the point this hard.

The Branch Davidians split from the same denomination the character in the movie was a member of. I find nothing admirable in the suffering that took place at Waco, just pitiable. I say this as a Christian who has faced persecution for my religion.

Although it has a rough start, once Garfield's character arrives on the battlefield, it's pure, unadulterated warkino

sorry man i just don't see what waco has to do with the movie.

>government murders a bunch of civilians
>i blame the civilians because their religion isn't the exact same as mine

really made me think

>he risked being detained in military prison for god knows how long because he wouldn't waver in his beliefs
His belief being these japs who at times did some pretty horrific shit and were fighting a war of aggression should be kept alive because reasons? Not him but I certainly don't find that admirable, pacifism is a selfish and contemptible ideology.

The Branch Davidians burned to death with their children in a concrete bunker in the defense of their beliefs. There is nothing noble in suffering or dying for a lie. It's just a waste.

when does teh screener come out?

well then you're problem lies in the foundation of the movie and no matter how the movie played, you were destined to hate it anyway.

your*

But nowhere in the movie did Doss say he's a pacifist and refuses to bear arms because he's Christian.
He refuses to kill and bear arms because he realizes it's too easy to kill.

You burned cities full of women and children, let's not try to claim immense moral superiority.

Best war film, sans Schindler's List. Anyone who disagrees is a troll.

The government was persecuting them for their religion. The authorities had no legitimate reason to arrest the leader since the group obeyed the law. The authorities targeted them on a trumped up warrant simply because their beliefs were unusual. I'm not saying that the Branch Davidians deserved to die, just that their deaths were futile. The persecution the Hacksaw Ridge guy suffered was likewise unjust, but that doesn't make him admirable.

Schindler's List isn't really a war film, though.
Or is every single movie that takes place during a war a war film?

Not a single Hacksaw.

0/10

I thought it was great. First half was a probably loser to a 7/10, but 2nd half was a legit 9/10.

I liked Vince Vaughn

>Points
He didn't force shit on anyone, he was literally passive the entire time.

yfw when
>HELP ME GET ONE MORE

>Or is every single movie that takes place during a war a war film?

Pretty much. Would you seriously try and argue that Casablanca is not a war film?

it was a romance flick

It's about the suffering war brings. That's pretty much a war movie, except no explosions.

>Would you seriously try and argue that Casablanca is not a war film?
Yes, because it isn't.

I thought the corny tone was charming and worked for getting me to like the characters

I don't hate the movie. I rated it 4 stars on Letterboxd.

He justifies his pacifism through quoting scripture.

Easily among the best war films I've seen in years

Dofus Book 1: Julith

4 stars = shit

It kind of felt like a Lifetime movie for the first act.

Vince Vaughn kind of sucked and Hugo Weaving was unintentionally hilarious. He reminded me of the dad from Walk Hard.

With that said the war scenes were fantastic and it told a pretty uplifting story.

7/10

It was really good, but in no way a 10/10, people on Sup Forums just like to hype their favourite directors.

An 8.5/10, best warkino since Jarhead

cool poster I want it

Are there any other war movies worth watching that aren't one of the following which I've seen:
Hacksaw Ridge
SPR
Dirty Dozen
Steel Helmet
FMJ
BHD
Apocalypse Now

ABSOLUTELY SHIT
Just kidding its right up there with the pacific and Band of Brothers
he was perfectly cast

The Pacific
Band of Brothers

which one do I watch first?
and no, andrew garfield is terrible

This was his best performance. Only reddit will continue to push this meme.

>liking Jew actors
No son you're the reddit

Im not saying it wasnt his best performance - Im saying that its irrelevant because even at his best hes shit.

3 Kings
Inglourious Basterds
Thin Red Line
Munich
Enemy at the Gates

>Munich

War stuff was good but everything else was awkward and shit. War stuff 7/10 everything else 6/10.

>which one do I watch first?
Both simultaneously (pic related)

Dont do this.
watch BoB then The Pacific