War Kino

What are some War Kino? (Any war not just WW2)
This weekend Ive so far marathoned:
>Inglourious Basterds
>Saving Private Ryan
>Apocalypse Now
>Enemy at the Gates
>Thin Red Line
>Full Metal Jacket
Whats next? Is there one of those "Sup Forums Essential" grid pictures?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Algiers
youtube.com/watch?v=er2a5WhYU-4
youtube.com/watch?v=6REmy-HwGEs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bumping with semi related images

Paths of Glory. WWI kino, definitely one Kubrick's best films

>Many Wars Ago
>Come And See
>Days Of Glory
>Go Tell The Spartans
>Cross Of Iron
>Misfit Brigade
>the 2015 Gallipoli miniseries
>A Bridge Too Far
>Tora Tora Tora
>Oh What A Lovely War

Tuntematon sotilas (the 50s one)

>austrian
That is from the town of Demmin, a very German city
>raped-killed-put-on-display
Lol no, they're part of a famous mass suicide
Deliberately misleading or politically biased filenames distort proper historical study

Good to see half of Sup Forums is still a history major.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

>history major
He just read a different website than wherever that pic came from

Putting together a Home Front recommendation list, just because I've never seen one:
>Mrs Miniver
>Best Years of our Lives
>Hope and Glory
>Ivan's Childhood
>The Cranes are Flying
>Ballad of a Soldier
>Sunday Dinner for a Soldier

any more ideas?

Do mini-series count?

Throw the obvious out there
>Band of Brothers
>The Pacific
>Generation Kill

>Brodre(2004)
it also had an american remake starred by Hershlag, but it as meh

true KINO

Yes.
good taste

>not 420 High
DUDE

Almost finished rewatching The Pacific and it's clearly below BoB.
Lack of pace and substance.

So since its worse should I watch that before Band of Brothers? People usualy say BoB first

hes saying dont watch it at all

There are only 3 films, which can be considered war-kino:

>Das Boot
>Thin Red Line
>Apocalypse Now

Everything else is war propaganda.

The battle of Algiers.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Algiers

>tfw you will never be a French soldier torturing vile Algerians as you please

I thought Jadotville was going to be kino, but it wasn't even a film

>implying Das Boot isn't anti-Nazi propaganda

nice edge.
srsly tho, kys

It absolutely isnt.

Its anti-war. They are all Nazis. From the lowly sailor, to the captain, they were all Nazi party members.

>thinking I was unironically being edgy

The movie I've shared in my post features harsh criticism to the French army, to the extent that it was banned in France for five years, so if I was genuine in being edgy, I wouldn't have posted a movie that does a tirade to the French in that war.

>srsly tho, kys
Buy me my helium then faggot.

just kidding man, I like you.

Aw you too. Have a nice Christmas champ!

In general, German war movies are very good. Whether they are made by germans or are just from a german pov.

>cross of iron
>stalingrad
>das boot
>all quiet on the western front (the original movie was so good it basically made all ww1 movies unnecessary). If you have time, download the book as well and read it. highly recommended.

For other war movies, there are many lists on war movies.

would recommend:
>bridge over the river kwai (followed by the tg special on the bridge over the river cock)
>a bridge too far (special recommendation as its set in my homecountry)
>enemy at the gates (inaccurate as fuck, highly fun when drunk with your mates)
>schindlers list

youtube.com/watch?v=er2a5WhYU-4
;-;. What a war that was.

that unrelenting gunfire and useless death. ww1 was seriously fucked up

I especially love that part when the main dude gets home and his family is saying that they have it worse at home.

>that unrelenting gunfire
True, and that's why I'm most aggravated (barring that France was shunned from a WWI game) by the ways in which BF1 portrays the war. To any youngster to be met by this game in his early age, he'll imagine that "omg like WW1 was scary, them soldiers having to shoot each other :o". But that's forgetting the true horror of WWI, which is that even when soldiers weren't charging the enemy, they still couldn't escape the craziness of it all, since they were still being shelled daily by enemy artillery, being kept awake in their trenches by its sheer noise, wallowing in the mud and all. It's a horrible thing to know that 80%;of the deaths of your comrades occured from artillery fire, meaning that each and every day in your trench, you were subjected to the randomness of enemy artillery fire, and there was litterally nothing to do to lessen the chance you could die but keep your head down and pray.
/rant

>his family is saying that they have it worse at home.
To be fair, Paul was a german, and under the Entente blockade, his family might've been dwindling on famine, all the while believing that at the very least the shortages of food meant that maybe Paul and the army were being fed better as a whole.

Anyways are you a boche?

>Tears of the Sun
>Black Hawk Down
>3 Kings
>Deer Hunter

>Valkyrie
>Platoon
>We Were Soldiers
>Rescue Dawn

>Empire of the Sun
>Fury
>Behind Enemy Lines
>Defiance

>Jarhead
>The Kingdom
>The Patriot
>Hurt Locker

I'm dutch, we sat the first one out and were conquered in 5 days in the second one. So our experience with ww1 is somewhat non-existent.

You wrote a good rant. I'd love to react in a more elaborate way but haven't got the time.
You rant perfectly describes why AQONTWF would form perfect teaching material on the horrors of war (besides threads/the war game ofcourse but thats a whole different subject).
I remember we saw the longest day in primary school when I was 11 or something, made a lasting impression on me that sometimes war can be ridiculous. To live in the trenches for years, knowing your life expectancy is maybe a few months, seeing your mates die all around you, knowing rats the size of cats will sneak around and just eat everything, knowing that the people on the other side are just as miserable.. Its a miracle people even managed to pick up their lives after that. Did get some good poetry out of it though.

The thing about the poor family you might be right about. I don't know much about the economics of war. But I understand they simply cannot believe how bad the situation at the front is (not military wise), you'd have a nation in shatters. The teacher continously recruiting new classes of soldiers with the same prepared stump speech was harrowing though.

Anyway, I love war movies threads here on Sup Forums.

Oh, and this is somewhat related

youtube.com/watch?v=6REmy-HwGEs

Red Cliff is basically 4 hours of the above

Das Boot

Well if OP is allowing medieval/ancient war movies
>300
>Troy
>Kingdom of Heaven
>Ran
>Centurion
>13th Warrior
>The Last Samurai
>Braveheart

Grave of the Fireflies
Pearl Harbor - fuck you I liked it

I should have used ctrl F...

>Lack of pace and substance.

Hahahhah. It is based on two memoirs that are among the greatest ones written about WWII. Not trash tier fiction by hack known as Stephen Ambrose.

Pacific is better than BoB.

>Pacific is better than BoB
So just watch BoB first and save The Pacific for last?

No. Watch them simultaneously (pic related)

Who are these seminal whores?

The Longest Day.

>I'm dutch, we sat the first one out
I suppose that the true heir to the Frankish empire was munching through its piles of popcorn, all the while scoping from afar as France and Germany competed to see who was the true heir to the Frankish empire in that war.

>AQONTWF would form perfect teaching material on the horrors of war
Yup, it does seem a relief that the greater part of teachers in Europe are endeared to the notion that children should, at the very least, be required to skim through the book, and be revolted at their leisure about the war. What ennobles it too as teaching material for the horror of war to dawn on even children is that it's written ambiguously enough to not outright state the deaths of every of Paul's friends, and as we were reading it in my classes, it's chilling for children who aren't yet acquainted with death in works of fiction to work it out for themselves that Kat/Hans/Albert haven't been written about in the prior 20 paes because they've been killed.

>Its a miracle people even managed to pick up their lives after that
Ah not all. My great-great grandfather was a depressed and morose thing after the war. Might've been a drunkard but my grandmother wouldn't have mentioned this either way.

>I don't know much about the economics of war.
Well, I'm allowing myself to believe this only because the Homefront mutinied before the army did, although Luddendorf and Hindenburg were already pleading the Kaiser to order the army to lay down their weapons.

>But I understand they simply cannot believe how bad the situation at the front is
Apparently that perpetuated itself even once the war had ended, and many marriages were known to have been shattered because the husbands would never abide to telling their brides about the war, to not have them also be privy to what had actually transpired on the battlefield. One traumatized lad in a marriage is eniough as it is I guess.

Daaaag.

Winter War>Unknown Soldier

Also :
>Jarhead
>Full Metal Jacket
>Platoon
>Hamburger Hill
>9th Legion
>3 Kings
>Hurt Locker
>Good Morning Vietnam

>9th Legion
google is giving me mixed results

I'm talking about 9th Company, a movie about Soviets in Afghanistan.

Thanks

The french are a despicable people

Rude.

le Rudè

Le grossier*

I tried to colourise this photo once