Why is starting a band so fucking hard for me, Sup Forums...

Why is starting a band so fucking hard for me, Sup Forums? How does one find people with at least some what similar interests and mindsetting to start one that might have some kind of cultural impact? Is that even possible anymore? I have no fucking friends, and nobody I know is musically inclined or musically interested to at the very least try to contribute to a new sound. Most musicians meet their career-launching counterparts in school or something of the sort, but I happened to grow up in an age where nobody wants to do so and those "musically" inclined only want to be solo rappers on soundcloud. Is it completely hopeless? Am I fucked for trying and wanting so hard to become something in a world where something cannot become? Does fucking ANYBODY want to do ANYTHING except fucking self-loathe, smoke weed and drink lean and listen to dumb retards with thousand dollar equipment to produce shitty music? I have no friends who are musically inclined. What the fuck do I do?

Keep at it. DON'T give up!

meet people and be positive

look at it this way, it's a hell of a lot easier for one person to fulfill their vision these days, and that can be a springboard. one guy and a laptop can do a lot.

You're best just looking for bands that are already together and looking for a replacement anymore. The interbutts makes that easy these days.

I'm a doom drummer without a posse. I'd be up to play darn near anything. What instruments/genres are you interested in?

I guess being socially retarded as I am and living 2 hours away from any kind of music really fucks things up. Haha. But I suppose thats the best option I have?

I agree that I should do solo stuff in my room by myself, but I'm poor as fuck and stingy with my money. Should I say fuck it and save as much money as I can for a professional laptop and record my own music?

I agree. I've met a few folks online who want to do somewhat similar stuff, but it's annoying living 2 hours away from them and not being able to move closer.

also if it means anything i've had this problem to such an extent that i've taken it upon myself to learn every rock band instrument and beyond, most recently drums. just don't give up.

OP here again, I want to sing and I can sort of play guitar. I want to play music in a (I guess what you would call) gothic/post-punk fashion, but I want to create something... different. I want to bring back a sort of "fear" and difference to the audiences I've been a part of in today's mellow, safe indie rock audiences. I want people to feel afraid and nervous, but so much as that they can enjoy it as something they've never experienced before. Which I think is obviously hard in this day and age since punk and all that shit has already been done before.

Have you written anything? Do you have a vehicle? Instrument choice matters too.

If you're a good drummer with some songs and a van, you've got a better chance at finding people than some bedroom guitarist with nothing.

That sounds pretty cool. I hope you find some like-minded people out there.

I've written a lot of, at least what seems to me, a bunch of jargon and crap, but I feel like I could write better stuff with the aid of a member who could provide a rhythm or something of the sort. I'm still kind of a scrub at writing, but I usually say fuck it, and roll with whatever I feel comes from the heart. I have a vehicle, but not a van. If I had a band or supporting artists, I'd surely invest in one and take maintaining it into my own hands as a r/o/bot. I guess being a singer that can play guitar at a beginner level isn't as sought out these days.

well, at least yr aiming high (or i'll assume so by yr posting a pic of the birthday party).

good luck.

where do you live?

Thank you, user. TBP and Nick Cave (and of course, accompanying musicians) completely enamor me and are my biggest inspirations. If you're still here, do you think bringing back the kind of shows they put on at the time would bring some kind of reaction? I feel as though people who were lucky enough to be at those shows left... changed. I would happily be a drunk cowboy """"goth""" kid to make people realize theres more than just major-minor chords with lazy MBV inspired vocals and trap music.

I live in Nevada. Specifically, the Reno/Fallon area. [AKA why I live 2 ho

hours from anything]*

I'm kind of in the same situation as you. What I'm doing is learning the craft, how to write good songs. I also learn other people's songs and not just the chords but exactly how they play them. It's really good to work on it and not just rely on your creativity.
You should do what you can with the resources you've got, if it's you and a guitar that's well enough for now.

Starting a band is hard, is hard for me too with friends going to university and having mates who can plan but have different music taste, a lot of what I do is just record a lot of music myself then whenever a band practice comes about I kind of dictate the music to them. I play guitar and do vocals, although will play bass if we ever play live

Please... if anyone is interested in anything pertaining to The Birthday Party/Bad Seeds, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Black Flag, Cocteau Twins, The Cramps, The Dead Milkmen, Death In June, The Doors, Neubauten, Lou Reed, Bowie, The Smiths, Skinny Puppy... or honestly anything in between... I would gladly love to learn and work with you. I love all sorts of music, I guess specifically from the 80s and back, but I love everything that isn't stupid pop/trap shit every kid listens to these days. I love metal, punk, blues, jazz... I don't care.

I understand, mate. I'm still pretty shallow when it comes to my own musical compositions, but I love listening to a song and learning the chords/tabs a song has and figuring out how the musician actually plays it. It's probably the only way I "practice" playing, but I guess most of it is just how the singer crafts their vocals and song structure. I want to find my own way of writing lyrics to a song that every member in a band contributes to, even if its """bad""". Sometimes, I get so disheartened that I won't touch any kind of playing or writing for what feels like ages. But I really appreciate knowing that everything put towards the art is improving in a way.

I'm really sorry it's as hard as it is for you, my friend... my father used to tell me that different musicians with different music tastes makes the music better and more original. Even if nobody listens to the same stuff, you can each bring your own sound and craft to the table to form something nobody has heard before... It's quite beautiful, but its indeed incredibly hard to actually get together.

i'd be your bandmate if you paid the airplane to your house

I'm and yeah it's good my mates have ideas of what they want and a lot of them turn me onto solid music, and that experimentation with different sounds is good, thing is that because rehearsals are so sparce it's hard to find any common ground, like 2 of us has a really wide music range and share similar ideas, but then the other 2 want to play but don't listen to much or you try and out them onto stuff that you feel would.be a good.sound to go for and they aren't bothered, which is why I write and record a lot of it myself out of necessity really. I live in a fairly poor and run down town with no music scene either so it's hard to find people anyway

Honestly, I don't care at this point. I'd gladly do so if you were into it.

I typed out a bunch of stuff and accidentally closed the tab and therefore deleting about 20 minutes of stuff I had typed, but, I think that you should work with it anyway. Perhaps you working with those who aren't willing to open their minds to "new" music can be a way to push you to continue writing and recording your own music to further your own career? Plus, it would be rad to have a wikipedia article one day talking about how you came from "______" which had nothing except for you.... I guess working with whatever you have is the main answer here.

>Honestly, I don't care at this point. I'd gladly do so if you were into it.
are you the post who would play any genre

I'm OP. Hahaha. I think that guy probably dipped, but yeah.

why would you want to be In a band when you can be a solo artist?

second one is lonely

then just make friends, idk I think its going to be difficult to find a group of people who share a similar artistic vision as you

Because everybody is a solo artist. What happened to being an actual band? I mean, I know why, but... there's something special and great about a group of musicians (or even beginner musicians) coming together to create something that they think is original and """cool""". I don't want to have to hire a live performing band one day and have to teach their unknown faces chords and everything to songs I wrote. If I had a band, I'd want friends that create their own stuff to contribute to a song that they can be proud of and be recognized for. It's easier, yes, but... I don't know. I'd want my band members to feel good about having contributing their own style and whatnot to the band and feel proud of it.