Is it worth watching?

Is it worth watching?

I actually want to know the answer to this question too. I like Elijah, but I have no idea what this show is. Apparently it's based on some pretty decent books?

I keep asking but have yet to hear a convincing reply

>american
>looks nothing like Dirk
>not even gonna waste time watching any of it

it's ok.

Radio Series with Harry Enfield > Dirk Gently 2016 > Books > Dirk Gently 2010

It's very similar to the radio series and books in that it's fucking incomprehensible at first and you slowly get more information about the case that lets you work it out, but there are also aspects that don't match with the books.

Douglas Adams used to write for Doctor Who and Dirk Gently was based on some Doctor Who scripts, but this series takes the comparison a lot further. If you like Dirk Gently or Doctor Who, you will absolutely love this series.

If not, I don't know. It's a lot more adult than Doctor Who as you should gather from the OP's picture but it definitely has similar feelings. Watch the first episode and see if you want to continue.

Matches the books:

>Time travelling
>Breaking into a third floor apartment window
>"My convictions about the interconectedness of all things..."
>Psychic but denies it
>Pizza
>"How does a private detective know what it's not supposed to look..."
>Being hired by someone to investigate their murder before it happens
>"Follow someone who looks like they know where they're going"
>Mentions the sofa
>Mentions meeting Thor
>Soul-swapping schenanigans
>Svlad

Does not match the books:

>He's appears much too young to have been to university and jail
>He's either never created or doesn't remember owning Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

That actually sounds pretty cool, thank you. I'm gonna check it out.

Glad to be of service. The show is also full of strange characters who manage to be stranger than people in the books like Professor Chronotis. The cops are great but Murderhobo is on another level for strangeness.

The story is ok. But the interaction between some people makes it a comfy show.

I'm rewatching episode now, it's kind of interesting to see it with the events of the latest episode put into context.

Holy shit, the black hacker kid is working on a device like the Perpetual Energy/Soul Swapper receiving port when he and the assassin meet up for the first time and he's being guarded by one of the bald guys which I'd somehow forgotten/not noticed.

the show is entertaining, sometimes reminds me of a much more lighthearted utopia. worst thing about it is the titular character who feels like an amalgam of nu-doctor who and sherlock, but isn't as insufferable.

overall, at the very least it's worth watching the pilot.

it's based on some books written by the writer of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, both the show and the books are pretty cool.

murderfu is wormtongue's daughter, which is bretty nice, what a great family.

>Max Landis wrote this

The Dirk Gently character is based on the books but the plot is unique, although there are small references to the books mentioned in You don't need to know the books to get it, nor will it spoil the books for you.

>Genre: Sci-Fi / Comedy / Mystery / Fantasy

Unless you're dying tomorrow there's no excuse not to try it

That's a beautiful one-take tracking shot and when you consider the difficulty of getting a kitten to enter on-cue, it becomes almost miraculous.

In all likelyhood it did not and was time-lapsed.or intercut.

Maybe Max's writing was meant for television's lower standards all along. This and Candle Cove have had a much better reception than his feature film writing.

This