What's your favorite Cobaincore album? He wasn't the best musician but he was onto some good shit

What's your favorite Cobaincore album? He wasn't the best musician but he was onto some good shit.
Pic related for me.

This shit is so bad it hurts. Get some taste user.

you literally don't get it

Raw Power
Surfer Rosa
Pod
Scratch Acid EP
Damaged
Young God

There's more than that but that's all I can think of at the moment. He had a top tier record collection

daydream nation, my favorite album of all time

You unironically do not get it

Wipers - Youth of America

You'll grow past it, I guess.

We will never change user

>Look at me, I'm too cool to enjoy things!

Beat Happening have only one good song. It's godtier though.
Can you plebs guess what it is?

Well Our Secret and Run Down the Stairs are both god tier so you're already the pleb here

the Half Japanese and Neutral Milk Hotel

Neutral Milk Hotel didn't release anything until 1993, I don't think he ever heard them since their first actual album wasn't out until

plus I think most people define Cobaincore as his list of top 50 records, which again, does not include NMH

It's not like that. I just don't like when artists get rep just on image and 'cool' credits.

Beat Happening is an actually good band even divorced from their image and aesthetic

Not that guy but Beat Happening are pretty good at best. Some of their songs are nice but there's also a bunch of stuff that's just unlistenable and this comes from a guy who has listened to a bunch of 90's indie. The atmosphere of Beat Happening is cool but the songs are mostly pretty boring and the male singer is just crazy bad.

>Calvin
>Crazy bad

How can you have listen to "a bunch of 90s indie" and still think this?

Now that i'm listening to You Turn Me On after a long time i must admit that he's not as bad as i remembered. I still prefer the more high-register vocalists from that era.

She's definitely better than Calvin, no argument here

This post is so bad I'm gonna break it down point by point
>Some of their songs are nice but there's also a bunch of stuff that's just unlistenable
Literally name one (1) song of theirs that is unlistenable. The This Many Boyfriends Club isn't an answer by the way
>The atmosphere of Beat Happening is cool but the songs are mostly pretty boring
Entry level thinking being displayed here, the songs aren't boring, you just don't want to pay attention. They're all short enough that they should lose your attention unless you're a true brainlet
>the male singer is just crazy bad
You know absolutely nothing if you hate Calvin's voice; his vocals are a cornerpiece of the songs and give them uniqueness. His vocals fit so well you basically can't do his songs justice without them. Listen to any cover of Indian Summer. Missing something right? Calvin's vocals are god tier because they're just what the songs called for.

this and vaselines and pic related

>Literally name one (1) song of theirs that is unlistenable.
Jamboree, Ask Me and The This Many Boyfriends Club come to mind. They're not cool or interesting, just dumb. Also why isn't This Many an answer?
>The songs aren't boring, you just don't want to pay attention.
I don't know i just don't get what i'm supposed to be hearing? There's just nothing that impressive about the compositions or even in the production/soundscape. Is it the lyrics i'm supposed to be listening?
>You know absolutely nothing if you hate Calvin's voice
I already admitted in that he isn't as bad as i remembered, just not my style.

HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE WHAT I LIKE

Every song you listed as "unlistenable" are less than a minute long, and you're a pleb if you think This Many Boyfriends is unlistenable, like not even worth talking to

Probly this one. I am a big fan of The Melvins though.

All Cobaincore sucks except Meat Puppets

literally a pleb filter you dumb fuck

>Stooges suck
>Pixies suck
You're welcome to leave anytime now

so you kinda ran out of arguments there kid?

>hur dur let me pull an ian curtis here real quick
>sing out of tune, dance like a retard
Two overrated idiots. Not even getting into Kobaine

i wish i knew the name of the group but i remember they were like some trio who were minimal post punk.

you probably mean young marble giants

The Raincoats
Half Japanese
Public Image Limited

holy fuck thank you i'm a dumbass for not seeing it in the thread.

Disliking /ourguy/ kurt cobain/nirvana is pleb filter. Truly a pure patrician

You never had an argument to begin with sweetie

Finally got around to listening to Beat Happening after my bandmate recommended it to me. Uhm it was... huh. I don't like "writing off" music until I've listened to it multiple times, but I wasn't too impressed.

Some of the songs were pretty nice, but the way they were presented just sucks. Every song sounds like it was recorded on the first take, regardless of how good it was. Instrumental mistakes, sure, shitty vocals, sure. I really feel like every recording was the first take and they just said "fuck it, we're quirky DIY indie xD". If they just approached these songs with a little more fucking effort, and I dunno, SUNG instead of talking, yeah it would be good.

Album art is good though

>he doesn't like out of tune singing and dancing like an idiot
Pleb as fuck

People need to understand that Beat Happening albums (their early albums at least) aren't compositions in the same way another band's albums are; they're capturing an artistic moment in time. Less a painting, more a photograph

So? I can't dislike it? It's still sounds going into my ears, I can't dislike those sounds?

I had your attitude at first, then I listened to Jamboree again, really listened to it, and they got a fan for life

>The This Many Boyfriends Club
imagine not liking it

jesus

Yeah, like I said I haven't written them off yet. I don't delete music very often, I have to really hate it. Like Eminem - Revival. I deleted that thing so quickly

You can dislike them but I'm gonna think less of you and think you're a pleb (because you are)

Oh no, how will I ever recover..

Nevermind

Good taste

get the original tracklist s/t (not the reissues, it's filler: the album) and let it sink in for a while

if you definitely feel like you can't fuck with the lo-fi quality go to You Turn Me On and work your way backwards

Only on Sup Forums can you find such posts with so many words and so little said. It's not a painting, it's a photograph. L O L

>if you definitely feel like you can't fuck with the lo-fi quality
It's not necessarily lo-fi quality. You can have a lo-fi recording of a GOOD PERFORMANCE. Beat Happening seems to combine "fuck-it" levels of audio fidelity with "fuck-it" levels of performance. Have some pride in your fucking word, do it right at least ONCE so it can be catalogued and enjoyed later.

This is all my opinion of course, if you like it then it succeeded in whatever it was doing.

have pride in your work* dammit

Again, there's just nothing that impressive about the compositions or even in the production/soundscape. The best thing for sure is the lo-fi aesthetic but that alone just doesn't cut it.

>tfw 12 year old radio-listening pleb
>one day a friend gives me a few punk CDs (Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Descendents)
>another day read through Cobain's diary cause I'm a huge Nirvana-loving pleb
>find his album list
>listen through most of them

and now I'm here
thank you so much Jose and Kurt Cobain I owe you my sanity

i don't think they lacked pride in their work. they felt very strongly about what they were doing, especially taking into account that they then went and played them live: you got to love what you are doing to play like a total amateur in front of people and not fearing they'll laugh at you or throw you stuff (which they did, when they started)

the lo-fi and "fuck-it" performance is a conscious choice to bring out the most primal qualities of music. it feels like a bunch of friends fucking around next to you on your living room. i find it endearing. and i can see how some might find it as if they sabotaged themselves, but the roughness doesn't overshadow that in the core it's very well-written and simple pop music: the loopy guitar on our secret is hypnotic, fourteen oozes with melancholy in a heart-breaking way, bad seeds has a great riff... - and the fact that it all seems so "in the moment" is all for the best

of course it's alll up to what you find in it. i'm not gonna pretend i don't get why some may find it shit kek. but i truly believe they were special in so many ways

Listen to You Turn Me On then because that's their most cohesive and rehearsed performance.

You listen to music in order to look cool and build an image. You're judging not the music but the character of people saying they don't enjoy the same shit as you... take a look at yourselves

I appreciate all that. I still don't like it very much lol. For me, you do your best work on the record, and you can be carefree and whacky live.

Yeah I have, and you're right. It definitely sounds the most "expensive". It's not bad music I just... wish the fucking male singer would sing. I hate his "sing-talking" and his voice so much. He seems to sing in literally one note for the whole discography. Like, dude just get the girl to sing.

Is this really Cobaincore???
Damn his taste was p. good then

I mean you're wrong but okay

Kurt was literally the first patrician

Yep. Very culturally savvy

I literally just like the way the music sounds and find their songs fun and inspiring but okay dude

>that interview where Buzz says he would've liked having poor, not-famous but alive instead of dead and rich.

Only good post in this thread

>nobody's mentioned the raincoats