/jazz/

Post your favorite jazz albums that you never see anyone else talk about or any that you think are underrated or whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4S-sHK5UJ4Y
youtu.be/h4O9BdT_VDY
jazzrecordcenter.com
youtube.com/watch?v=YluXzGtjCdU
youtu.be/aE_DiUNhgBM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this is a good classic; great late period dex

Grant Green doing some incredibly funky shit for 1963 with an excellent live band. All of Grant's live albums are good but I enjoy this one especially

youtu.be/4S-sHK5UJ4Y

youtu.be/h4O9BdT_VDY

Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea
Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy
Joe Pass - Virtuoso
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss

Also check out Rahsaan Roland Kirk live. The man plays three saxophones at once.

very underrated. one of my favorites of the year. each song so dense and packed with energy

as a baritone sax player moanin' is my fucking favorite song ever

Grant Green's I Want To Hold Your Hand.
>Grant Green
>Hank Mobley
>Larry Young
>Elvin Jones
Honestly, much as I love the "let's go wild" style of jazz in things like Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers, I've always had a soft spot for that Green/Young/Jones trio and I'm probably the biggest Mobley fanboy in all of Sup Forums, so this one was fucking godlike.
>The Real McCoy
That one's kino as shit. Always loved his suspensions.

These are basically like all essentials though

Anyone doing any holiday shopping? Somebody rec some stores in the NYC area

Aha, I guess. I just never hear anybody speak about them. Which is what OP was asking.

jazzrecordcenter.com

One of the best jazz shops in the world. It's a bit weird bc they don't really have a storefront. It's in a building on 26th street in Chelsea and they'll buzz you up to the 9th floor where the shop is.

>unironically listening to nigger music

Yup. Was gonna say this. One of the coolest places I've ever been. It's in some dude's converted apartment from the 80s. But they have A LOT of records, CDs, reissues, rare pressings, books, various memorabilia, etc.

To be fair I never really see people talk about jazz at all on Sup Forums besides obvious b8 and/or memes

Never seen Scofield posted here before. Dude is one of the best modern jazz guitarists.

That's true. Change has to be made.

Study in Brown by Clifford Brown (only seen it mention like once)
Chamber Music of the New Jazz by Ahmad Jamal (never mentioned)
Take em' 88 (never mentioned) by Ahamd Jamal
Relaxin' by Davis (mentioned like once)
A Night at Birdland (never mentioned)
Cannonball adderley Quintet live in Chicago (this is criminally underrated album in general, so good)
Everyobody Digs Bill Evans (people just talk about waltz with debby or Sunday)
Herbie Mann does the Bossa Nova
A Good Git-Together by Jon Hendricks
When Farmer met Gryce by Art farmer and Gigi Gryce
Things are Getting Better by adderley

pic related is my favorite jazz album

what do you rec me?

Some clear classics are
Shorter's Speak No Evil, Juju, and Night Dreamer
Davis' Sorcerer, ESP, Smiles, and Nefertiti
Mingus' Presents Charles Mingus, Live in Cornell
Bill Evans' Montreaux, Conversations with Myself

have you any tried any of coltrane's modal era? my favorite things and ole coltrane are both great.

Try Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay

More similar to Herbie's later stuff then that one but if it's a great jazz-funk album.

thanks. heard a couple of these but i will listen to some of the others

heard both of those but coltrane's playing isn't always my favorite

this one is on my list to listen to

youtube.com/watch?v=YluXzGtjCdU
if you want something outside of "the classics"

Has anyone here listened to much of Reinier Baas? Guitarist based in Amsterdam, really unique guitar playing and compositions, fantastic player. Check out his discography if you haven't, Smooth Jazz Apocalypse is cool too

i'm liking this. it's pretty recent?

This is from 1971 dood

I've been on a bit of a Brad Mehldau streak recently, dunno why. Probably because I've been studying counterpoint to be more interesting with my basslines, and he's very good at improvising counterpoint.

Brad Mehldau is what Bach would sound like if he were alive today

The saxophone solo in M83's Midnight City is the best jazz I've listened to. Not Miels Davis, not John Coltrane, not Thelonious Monk, not Herbe Hancuck. M83 is pure jazz kino

>when the rhythm section hits in O Tannenbaum

been coming back to this one over the year, it is pretty great. I especially like the combination of John Hicks piano and Blythe sax on Miss Nancy if anyone has similar recommendations youtu.be/aE_DiUNhgBM

Psychedelic Jazz Fusion

1967, but sounds way ahead of its time

Alto here. Moanin still makes me cum.

>Roland Kirk
Severely underrated and overlooked hero of jazz. Hopefully not forgotten.

step aside pleb

>Idle Moments
this album and pic related have really inspired me to get serious about learning jazz guitar