Why does The Velvet Underground get credit for the "innovations" that had already been explored a year prior on pic...

Why does The Velvet Underground get credit for the "innovations" that had already been explored a year prior on pic related?

Because Lou Reed is cool

I'm embarassed to say I don't even know who was in the Monks

Gary Burger is the only one i know the full name of. This album isn't even celebrated in Sup Forums because of dumb normies

Because The Velvet Underground were better songwriters

Are they really comparable though? BMT doesn't have proto dream pop like Sunday Morning, nor protoshoegaze like Venus In Furs, nor protopostrock like Heroin, nor proto jangly shit like There She Goes, and no noise rock like Sister Ray. BMT sounds more punkish and raw, but anyone who thinks TVU ever were being actually punk like in sound is heavily misguided.

How are songs like Waiting for the Man, White Light/White Heat and I Heard Her Call My Name not punk in sound?

Because not every proto-punk band is the same.

Because people actually listened to TVU.

>Waiting For The Man
>White Light/White Heat
That's just 1930s style piano slamming not really punk.

>I heard her call my name
That's still closer to noise rock

What innovations OP

>implying that noise rock and punk are mutually exclusive

"inventing" krautrock

Velvet underground were so ground breaking and innovative, they were only pretending to sound like hideously boring pop music from the same era!

Bunch of hacks

The way I see it Monks were doing motorik beat and repetition in rock a whole year before TVUAN was released, so yeah they did do it first, But then TVUAN reached more ears (Warhol co-sign) and is arguably a better album so it gets the credit.

Why does Brian Eno get credit for the "innovations" that had already been explored a year prior on pic related?

why does mort garson get so much credit? library music and synth stuff like that was common and considered cheesy at its time

>why does mort garson get so much credit?
I don't think he does. i've never heard anyone mention his name outside of Sup Forums

Heroin is proto noise rock tho

heroin fuckins sucks
the only good song in venus in furs and its not even that good

How can someone be this wrong

>heroin sucks
Terrible opinion

velvet underground fucking sucks

no u suck

More than one band can come up with the same innovations near the same time without hearing about each other. And the Velvet Underground were better songwriters.

The Monks were closer to that conventional 1950s sound with 2-3 minute songs suited to the single format and vocal harmonies and so on

The Stones, Pretty Things, Troggs and Barbarians were also making music like this

i'm just gonna pretend you're baiting because if you don't you are a fucking retard and you shouldn't have an opinion on music, any type of music