Why were synths such memes in the 80s? What was everyone going on about? Was it like autotune...

Why were synths such memes in the 80s? What was everyone going on about? Was it like autotune? Everyone thought they would sound good if they had it in their songs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_qMRnTG0P3g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

new types of synthesis were something that never existed before
like sample based romplers in 90s

Because it sounds cool

Rock used to be a pioneering genre, in pursuit of the sound of the future, and it was perceived that synthesizers were to be a part of it. They were correct too, but failed to incorporate it tastefully.

I see you, nerd, getting ready to type some "exceptions", GET FUCKED; nobody likes synths in rock, they merely tolerate it!

nobody bothered to learn how to use a yamaha DX7 so they all used the same hammy presets

>hurrr i don't liek thing therefore it's a le meme xD
Fuck off pleb.

he holdin that with one hand? wtf? that cabinet weighs like 30 pounds and would awkward af to handle from that angle

Because 80's synth sounds gay and unrelated

I can't tell if this is b8 or if you're autistic

yeah that always made me think

Drum reverb was the autotune of the 80s.

Even respectable artists like The Smiths used it.

>Even respectable artists like The Smiths used it.
Chick Corea would've been a better example.
youtube.com/watch?v=_qMRnTG0P3g
It doesn't get much better than Scott Henderson, John Patitucci and Dave Weckl. Although it certainly gets better without Yamaha KX-88 and KX-5. The technology was still in its infancy, that's all.

" In the 1980s, the invention of the relatively inexpensive, Yamaha DX7 synth made digital synthesizers widely available."
thanks wikipedia

Gated reverb is pretty nice desu

Post your synths

Midi was invented in the 80s, everyone knew it was the future of music and they were right

also digital oscillators made synthesizers more affordable

Jesus Christ, just how much money do you have?

I just have a job. I buy couple modules every month.

plebs don't even realize how much they enjoy synths in rock

How do I get started with this type of stuff

muffwiggler and youtube tutorials

guerilla toss

Ok. Is the korg ms20 a good starting place?

I feel like earlier New Wave and post-punk handled it a lot better than later new wave and mainstream arena rock did.

It was relatively new technology to the inexperienced general populace. Novelty played a factor.

Also

Yes but needs extra stuff to make it work with eurorack.

Rush incorporated it quite well, especially as a 3 piece

>Everyone thought they would sound good if they had it in their songs?
nothing has changed

modulargrid.net

>new
>novelty
are you joking

I think the photograph is titled. The synth is on the floor of a truck, and then he's kneeling or on his hip. Either that, or the synth is bolted to a wall.Actually I think it's like a shipping container, and he's kneeling over it and the synth is resting on the top of it.

some great modules you have there.

what do you think of those pico modules?
I've got a 7u case coming in and i've been thinking about loading it up with some of those

>what do you think of those pico modules
Definitely useful. Extra lfos and attenuators in small size are always nice.

Synths became popular because it finally gave keyboardists the ability to stand out and take the front stage like guitarists did. Before the early 70s, the keyboardists was always restricted behind a piano or a massive Hammond. The invention of the synth allowed them not only the freedom to put on more of a show, but to also experiment further with what they could produce musically.
Pic fucking related.

His muscles are so stronk from smashing all that 80s Hairy pussy

>who is Jon Lord

t. paladin danse

>Hammond through a Marshall
Rick Wiseman is the correct answer

Jon Lord was famous for his Hammond solos and in no way restricted; if you look at the original post, it says that they were restricted on how much of a show they could put on, whereas Lord could stand toe-to-toe with Blackmore/other DP guitarists without synths