Prog rock general

This thread is dedicated to all prog fans around the world who want to discuss the gretatest music genre evern known to mankind. Discuss your favourite albums and share hidden gems.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QOJXZbwHPNI
youtube.com/watch?v=jmD0luLlJCs
youtube.com/watch?v=QEdB4rOJ7JU
procession1995.bandcamp.com/album/still
youtube.com/watch?v=B6bF6oKJKKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kz0aVur1F2A
youtube.com/watch?v=PT9Du2wmcqk
youtube.com/watch?v=IJKIoyqWb-w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pic related is a hidden gem apparently. Any other prog fans I've asked say they haven't heard of it.

Yo

Bump

It's pretty good, but their older albums are better

listened to this for the first time today. holleey shit

Let' settle this once and for all:

Are Supertramp Prog Rock?

Yes

That album is a masterpiece. I recommend pic related, a hidden RIO gem.

I fucking love anything Yoshida is in.

>played with Painkiller, Acid Mothers Temple

Plus Ruins, Korekyojinn, Koenjihyakkei and Zeni Geva.

My man. I forget where I found it, probably just by the names involved, but it was fucking neat.

Sometimes.

Pretty good album, although in some instances it sounds alot like Opeth - Heritage.

Here's a really great live record.

The album Financial Tycoon by Coma is pretty nice. I think it stands out in the crowd of progressive rock bands.

youtube.com/watch?v=QOJXZbwHPNI

Steven Wilson's 2015 Masterpiece.

its not maybe as good as their old old albums, but its way better than their newer old albums

yes

Friendly reminder that Krautrock is not prog rock. It's a completely different genre that was developed independently from prog rock.

Also, behold, as pic related is the last progressive rock masterpiece.

>hidden gem
>2015
yeah, no, it's not even obscure

Do you have any favorite Ruins recording so far? Pretty raw stuff, I can't get into Ruins very much (but I love Yoshida's other stuff)

That's not RIO.

Steven Wilson hasn't done anything good for decades.

Here's a (You). Obviously you haven't digested any of Wilson's recent work...

Fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=jmD0luLlJCs
youtube.com/watch?v=QEdB4rOJ7JU

who /waiting for soyuz/ here
they should tell the concept and drop a sample next time they post

>The first Soyuz flight was unmanned and started on November 28, 1966. The first Soyuz mission with a crew, Soyuz 1, launched on 23 April 1967 but ended with a crash due to a parachute failure, killing cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov.
i'm gonna assume its about this

do you seriously not like ancestral, detonation or refuge?

This guy is trolling, just read his name... Don't give him any (You's).

Why is this so good bros?

Does anyone have any interesting examples of shoegaze-prog, or dream pop prog?? I think it would be interesting if people took rock music progressions that happened after the heyday of prog, and applied them to prog song structures.

Also what is the most comfy prog album?

Holy shit they are planning another one

Insurgentes by Steven Wilson has some shoegaze tracks

I haven't really gotten into Steven Wilson or even through all of Porcupine Tree's music, thanks though I'll give it a listen

this is all they've said so far in direct context but they mentioned a while back on a pod cast about doing a long concept piece about painting of a ship on the sea but i guess that panned out into this somewhere. i think they also wrote a new song at some song-writing seminar about "the emperor's new clothes" which may or may not end up here in some form or another.

not nececarilly shoegaze but this has a great murky lo-fi feedback texture to it
procession1995.bandcamp.com/album/still

>most comfy
My vote goes to Astra - The Weirding. An other contender would be The Dream Sequencer by Ayreon.

>Obviously you haven't digested any of Wilson's recent work
Correct, nobody sane would like to digest shit

I'm not trolling.

I would rather use my time to listen to better stuff. Why would you listen to some mediocre pop rock when you could listen to new stuff that's actually interesting?

I don't remember much from the album, but IIRC, none of the shoegaze tracks have prog rock influences in (or at least, not the ones the user you are replying to meant).

>Also what is the most comfy prog album?
Legend by Henry Cow
Infinite replay value, and some of the comfiest and most interesting drumming ever
lovely recording

Go away.

Insurgentes is kind of a combination of all of Wilson's work, so it has some drone and electronic elements, but I wouldn't count it as Shoegaze.

Good album, though.

This has prog elements. Is there anything else in a similar vein?

>ancestral, refuge, detonation
>pop rock
so you haven't listened to them? filtered.

Refuge is pop. Detonation is not, fair enough, but the rest of the album is (mostly). And haven't listened to ancestral, I assumed it was from Bone, so I thought it was one of the other pop tracks.
Still, the point remains, why would you bother listening to a mostly pop album while you could be listening to to something more interesting instead? Steven Wilson is way past his prime.

ancestral is from hand cannot erase, which is definitely not a pop album.
youtube.com/watch?v=B6bF6oKJKKQ

>ancestral is from hand cannot erase, which is definitely not a pop album.
Yes, now I know, but I first assumed all the three songs you mentioned were from Bone.

bump

>shoegaze prog
Mew
youtube.com/watch?v=kz0aVur1F2A
youtube.com/watch?v=PT9Du2wmcqk

What does /prog/ think about Thank You Scientist?

One of the best prog rock albums of the 80s. Fish-era Marillion seems very popular in the UK, but rarely hear anyone talk about them from the US.

I've come to believe that I might actually love Camel the most out of all prog, even over giants like KC and Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=IJKIoyqWb-w