Art should never strive to affect or become politics, and attempting so is self righteousness of the highest order

Art should never strive to affect or become politics, and attempting so is self righteousness of the highest order.

I disagree, but if an artist does it they should maintain their artistic virtues and not use the message as a crutch.

Fair enough user, you can discuss politics but don't forget entertainment, too often political issues muddy artistic sense.

>being this butthurt
Art is a means of expression. Artists can express whatever they damn well please, and anyone trying to say what art should or shouldn't be is a troglodyte IMO.
That said the new Eminem is trash

and if you are going to have a political bent - do try not to side with the cool kids parents. that makes u uncool.

One post? It took one sentence-long post to convince you to do a total 180 on your perspective of politics in music?

It wasn't a perspective so much as a thought in progress

Sure but if you're gonna express some sort of indictment the state of america you better be damn sure you tread carefully, far too easy to become self important

>durrrr art shud neva affect da politikiz
>every cuntry in world has make believe problemz liek da USA

youre a 14 year old or an autist

>attempting so is self righteousness of the highest order

That's a thought in progress? What the fuck?

Shooting out a statement to see if it had any value, considering I have zero friends.

Self-importance is a fundamental catalyst to both the building of America and what America builds.

It didn't.

You don't.

I never said art can't discuss politics. But that it shouldn't affect politics that is: pretend its involved in some sort of political discourse.

Self importance =/= self confidence, self importance in art is often deeply ugly

tfw rollingstone only gives u three and a half stars anonspicofeminem,jpg

>it shouldn't affect politics

But what if it does, user? Have you considered that?

desu should have clarified, by affect I mean the second definition of the term, to take the appearance of, not 'affect' politics like having an affect on something. Art having an affect on politics happens all the time, nothing wrong with it.

>Self importance =/= self confidence

What is the distinction?

>self importance in art is often deeply ugly

How so? Does it have anything to do with how the art is composed? Remember, you came to a similar paradigm very recently.

It should be political if politics actually matter, but yeah politics are just a distraction and non-issues when it comes to 1st worlders

>Art should never strive to affect or become politics

I hate this shit, when people say what art SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do, as if they are some "arbiters of Art." Art will do whatever the fuck the artist wants it to do, and you are in no position to dictate what the artist does with their art. And in your own words OP, "attempting so is self righteousness of the highest order."

Self importance in art is when a work acts like is more profound than it actually is, 'tackles' issues on the surface, and is self consciously grand and sweeping. This is what is often referred to as pretentious, when a work wields more than it can handle, and thinks itself better for it.

Okay, now put that in terms of music theory. We are taking about music, specifically. You pulled all of that out of your ass, now tell me why this new Eminem album is bad musically, then I'll give you an album that's pretentious lyrically, but universally acclaimed for its... music.

Culture and politics always shaped each other, brainlet.

Besides, Eminem was political since his first fucking album, if it triggered you so much, you wouldn't care about him before he dissed your daddy.

Well I was only talking about the lyrics, and narrative.

Nigga got big ass feet

I fucked your dad.

I should also add that since music is a purely abstract you can't really personify it. I'm not making an argument about that, I'm arguing about eminem.

agreed, politics and music do not mix. the last thing i wanna hear is some whiney ideologue complaining over a piece of music

What if there are no lyrics? What if you don't understand the lyrics, or didn't have access to Google to look the lyrics up?

All art reflects the politics of the time and place it was made, whether it explicitly aims to be a political statement or not.

People only complain about politics in art when it's politics that they disagree with.

>Charlie Chaplin was a self-righteous person
Imagine thinking this.

What if this is the art Eminem genuinely wants to make?

That's a retarded statement and there's no point equating art to the commercial produce of a professional entertainer.

then that means he's out of touch with his fans and his artistic values.

I'm sure it is, but he's doing it badly and doesn't approach the topic with nuance, all his lyrics are blunt and a caricature of any sort of political discourse.

>the absolute state of political music today

what happened?

Almost all art was produced for commercial gain. Schubert just wanted a place to sleep and hookers on his dick too.

That makes 0 sense whatsoever

Are people on Sup Forums really that surprised and taken aback to see polite, friendly, and meaningful discussion?

heh if politics inspires him, why the fuck not.
that said it sounds like shit and no matter what music will never be an argument

yeah, Guernica sucks.

>art
>entertainment
>op's self opinion
>op

as long as you arent whineing with your gay ass voice over the top of the song about your gay ass ideology or got your gay ass ideology all over the fron of your album in your gay ass videos i really couldnt care less

Political albums never age well

ahem

trash doesnt age well....
except for when it does.