Brockhampton boring

Am I the only one who just doesn't care about these guys? I gave them a go, and they just didn't stand out to me, none of there songs were memorable. What makes these guys so popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zF7udVLYln8
youtube.com/watch?v=wSus3fcIlvc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The diversity

Could you elaborate more on that?

They're gay and they rap and they're multicultural. It hits all the right notes for the woke set.

>Am I the only one who just doesn’t care about these guys?
Literally no one on this board cares about them. As well they shouldn’t

I mean its understandable if they're not for you but I personally find their beats and sample choices quite interesting. They're also pretty unique (and I know that uniqueness doesn't always = talent)

youtu.be/zF7udVLYln8 kimchi

I remember hearing GOLD constantly on the radio earlier this year (unaware that it was Brockhampton) and thinking it was one of the trashiest, corniest songs I'd heard all year.

It was until recently that I actually got around to listening to Saturation I. When that track came on I fucking laughed my ass off.

I couldn't believe that THIS is the most hyped hip-hop act of the year!?

I swear, thanks to the rise of trash mumble rap, the standard of hip-hop as a whole has been lowered substantially.

Nothing about their music stands out to me. The production is fairly mundane overall, the bars are average, the hooks are CRINGE af. The energy meanders throughout most of their tracks.

yes when you don't fell for the 3 album hype, and listen too all their work it is pretty average but they do have some good songs.

i like them for the most part but pic related is fucking dog trash

I feel almost personally offended by Brockhampton. I feel, as a musically and culturally aware college student in 2017, as if their music is being SPECIFICALLY marketed towards me, or at least my demographic, and it all feels so vapid and fake. I think the problem is that they are just too trendy, and as a result of that their music doesn't stick with me at all. Their albums feel disposable and meaningless. It also feels as though it is being targeted towards people who THINK they have good music taste or THINK they know something about music because they watch Fantano or read Pitchfork, but in reality if you put on a Coil album or a Yes album around them they would react with revulsion, because it doesn't fit their ultra-fashionable instagram aesthetics. What do you guys think? Are these valid opinions?

Brockhampton boring

user, also as a musically and culturally aware college student in 2017, I find myself enjoying Brckhmptn. I thinks it's because they just don't sound like anything else I'm listening to right now. I kind of see what you are saying with the lack intellectual substance in their music, but that is definitely not what I think their music is for. I think their music is about capturing the craziness and ego throughout rap lyrics today, and turning it into a parodied 11/10 hype experience. Right now, I dont dedicate ANY thought to their music. I'm going to use the song QUEEN off Saturation 1 as an example. That song just sounds nuts. When I turn it on, I lose my head. I don't know what Fantano is, I don't read Pitchfork. I've never listened to a Coil or Yes album either. I'm not opposed to those things, I'll check them out because you mentioned it. But from your post it seems like you're overly concerned about how Brckhmptn is perceived, rather than how you experience their sonic creation. I don't really know what the act of listening to music has to do with instagram either, so why bring that up unless this is a pop culture general thread? This is a taste of my opinion.

The only thing Sup Forums likes about Brockhampton is they can make catchy songs. Lil Pump and 2Chainz can make catchy songs too, that doesn't really take talent. The group also doesn't have any lyricists on par with Earl Sweatshirt.

STAMINA STAMINA

I own the linked post. I want to add that I definetly don't listen to all of BROCKHAMPTON's stuff. I recognize that what defines an artist extends past their hits, but I'm only giving an account of my experience thus far, which covers listening to the main bangers off Saturation 1, which I think are ground-breaking popular anthems for hip-hop hype culture. Like some of the other anons are saying in here, their musical experience as a whole is very different from select tracks. That being said, would you rather a focus on the artists that produce your favorites? Or are we into the idea of the boy-band collaborative artist experience as a potential new medium for hip-hop? Tyler the Creator VS. Odd Future for example.

>listens to coil and yes
>is above Brockhampton fans

lol no

They're ALL gay?

This is kind of why I do enjoy BROCKHAMPTON. The individual members I would never listen to on their own (except maybe Dom) but as a cohesive group they are able to play off of each other's strengths pretty well.

I couldn't get into Brockhampton at all at first, but then I listened to GUMMY and FOLLOW and it clicked!... a little.
Now I get it, but they are still kinda meh. S1 is alright, 7/10, CASH is the best song. S2 and S3 are way too poppy for my taste, especially S3. Mostly don't care about those two.

I had a feeling there was something funny about that user's perspective, but I don't know anything about those two bands/groups to know why the comparison is fallacy. Could you explain it to me? What's relevant/irrelevant about Coil and Yes?

It’s just more pseudo-intellectual garbage for fags. True hip hop is meaningless in its words. It’s the emotions the rhythm and tune bring you that make hip hop great

My friend says QUEEN is the best off S1, but I say it's STAR. What makes CASH your #1?

KEEP A GOLD CHAIN ON MY NECK

I see, yeah I tend to agree thats the vibe most great hip-hop gives off nowadays. It's usually best when it isn't trying to shove ideology down your throat. It's the same reason why all the most ignorant shit has hands down the best production of the last couple years. QUALITY+ACCESSIBILITY=PROFIT. I think Kendrick exists as a nice counter example, but I don't want to risk derailing the thread too much with that bucket of worms, feel free to speak to that if you like.

BOY BETTER TREAT ME WITH RESPECT

they're babby's first rymcore, not really bad in themselves tbqh, but the context of that euphoric post makes it hillarious

QUEEN is not even a BH song. You must've meant QUEER, but it's from S2. Kek.
I like CASH because the usual BH lyrics about being gay and shit actually take some form on this song. "Confederate flag / neighbors call me fag", for example. It shows actual conflict with the word, not just their usual "my life was hard but I'm just gonna vaguely reference it", and I like that. Also the refrain on CASH stuck to me the most. The "Getting money, big band simple bands" one, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

I like Kendrick for the reason that he makes shit that bangs but also has pretty good lyrics. DAMN isn’t a great example, but on GKMC, tracks like Backseat Freestyle and MaaD City are why the album is a classic.

Dude you got me there, I'm really just starting to pay close attention to BH, but I've been listening to them since S1. Have you seen the SATURATION documentary? It's a pretty nice collection of clips during their production process. I'll link it below for other curious anons
youtube.com/watch?v=wSus3fcIlvc

I'm planning on seeing it one day, but right now I'm way too saturated (pun intended) with their stuff. I like their message, but they didn't change it much across the trilogy - which is okay, I guess it ties things up thematically. It's just I'm not gay, I'm not black and I'm not american, so it is somewhat unrelatable to me.

Funny you should say that. As a bisexual, biracial, multi-national I now feel obligated to listen through all of Saturation to see if I can form any special identity with the collections. I wasn't really able to get much of their substance through the head thrashing and hand whipping that their awesome production usually gives me. Tasteful pun there. Anything you relate to especially right now? Mac DeMarco's This Old Dog had me for a while, broke up with my girlfriend.

>inb4 thread derailed

>as a musically and culturally aware college student
please let this be bait

You sound like a colossal cunt

>The group also doesn't have any lyricists on par with Earl Sweatshirt.
No shit earl isn't in the group dumbo

I have to say GKMC is going to be a timeless hip-hop classic. DAMN. is groundbreaking to me though. If I see GKMC as a homage to west coast, then DAMN. is the new coast. Maybe that doesn't make sense.

I'm on 80mg of Vyvanse and in the middle of finals week, my typing will probably seem overly academic or just plain pretentious. I'd like to think I'm a nice guy though. Just having fun talking to strangers about music. I usually just lurk threads.

I do relate to Mac, yes. His songs along with Slowdive really hit the spot when we're talking breakups. These days I mostly listen to Love and Death Grips. Especially Death Grips. Aggression and hate are for everyone.

and just in case wasn't me lol

>Aggression and hate are for everyone
Amen. I've heard Guillotine from Death Grips, but otherwise I'm not familiar. I was trying to think of other examples of aggression and hate tapes that I listen to lately. The best I could come up with is The OOZ by King Krule, but I don't even think that's in the same ballpark of emotion as what I hear in Guillotine. Guess I should check out the Death Grips discography, I'd appreciate a recommendation to start. "Artists" like xxxtencacion and A$AP Ferg express aggression pretty well and they're played fairly often when I'm doing active things like cleaning up, driving (toofast) and fucking. Otherwise I'm partial to synthy chill tones when I'm listening alone. Most other stuff is for being in a group in my experience. I was just racking my mind for some recent stuff I wanted to bounce off you. Jaden Smith, Azizi Gibson, thoughts?

saw this pasta in another thread a few days ago so i can confirm it's bait

Its Odd Future without the personality
Both of them are hot garbage but Odd Future still looks like a genuine project compared to these hacks

Odd Future had Earl and Tyler. So it's not really a contest.

back to Sup Forums you go!

Absolutely this.

gothboiclique>brockhampton
prove me wrong [spoiler]protip: you can't[/spoiler]
/thread

and frank ocean

and I think certain members of bh will go the same way as those three - making good music on solo projects

Euphoric bait
Equally Euphoric bite.

Sup Forums, when did autism become the gold standard in intellectual debate online?

2chainz make good music tho