What's your process for falling out of love with a band...

What's your process for falling out of love with a band? I used to be obsessed with Animal Collective and then I gradually realized that their music didn't really affect me anymore and I always skipped their songs when they came on. It's hard to come to terms with the fact that their music just doesn't do it for me anymore

Don't be a sentimental bitch. Listen to other music. You'll come back to the old shit if you like it.

Me too.I used to listen to SJ,MPP and sung tongs.Now i usually listen to STGSTV and Prospect hummer ep

Same thing for me with frank zappa, after listening around 40 albums during a year or two, i realized he is just autist.

the animal collective dropoff is especially harsh, there are huge long pieces of shit like "visiting friends" that simply arent worth hearing twice

Im going thru the same thing you are right now. I think if you listen to an artist a lot the music wont effect you like it used to, no matter who it is, especially anco who's music is drenched in nostalgia and childhood longing. I always limit my repeat listens to albums or artists now, even if I feel that urge to put something on repeat, just to keep it fresh. Just go exploring and find new shit.

Sounds like you're having a hard time communicating with happy feelings more than anything

zappa drop off is really bad too. I think somewhere in the late 70s it became super profitable for an established artist to release an album at all it barely mattered what was on it. face he fact no one has ever heard all of frank zappas albums. also bob dylan,

wtf the one with the spacemen 3 shirt looks so much like me

That song is gorgeous, but you have to appreciate the virtues of ambient music.

I can relate to this with them. They're still my favorite band and I love their music more than any other artist's stuff, but I listened to SJ, ST, Fall Be Kind, MPP, STGSTV, PW (fuck you I really like it) along with solo records so much that I needed a break and I needed to explore a lot of other music. They were taking up too much of my listening time and I felt stagnant. But they've been slowly giving me that rush again that I used to have. So my advice would be just explore other stuff for a while then come back to them later and it should be magical again.

you do realize this was completely improvised over simply the first time they bought a looper pedal right? it couldnt be any more definitive filler for a project that was already grasping at straws creatively

True, though once you've got an Animal Collective album 'figured out', they tend to lose the magic of those early listens. STGSTV and the EPs are still incredible to me, but it's best to save them for occasional listens so you don't exhaust them completely.

This tbqh. AnCo are my favorite band as well, but I need to take breaks from them. When I come back, however, it feels like visiting your best friend you haven't seen or heard from in years and it just feels great to listen to them again

In what way do you actually think you've critiqued the qualities of the track? Saying it's improvised doesn't describe anything, especially an ambient piece. It's a tone poem. If you cited something about the track specifically I could address it, but not when no critique is specified.

was obsessed with DG but I eventually realized I was mostly using it to channel angst like my brother did and is still doing with metal.

Same. The scope of interesting things they do and the quality with which they do it is still fantastic, but you can't stare at the Mona Lisa forever. No artist is a bottomless well, and once you're truly familiar with everything they've done, trying to mine it further is an exercise in futility. One thing that I really hope is that I start to find more bands that cover all the bases as well as they do. They explore melody, dynamics, timbre, structure, lyricism, ambiance, performance, etc. with such breadth and balance. Most bands have things about them that I like, but they're compromised on one or more of those major universal fronts, so as much as you can appreciate what they do well, there's still something weighing them down. But yea, sometimes I just need to let my favorite art lie dormant for a while, so I can rediscover it once the familiarity is gone.

I don't because i listen to good music

wow that's one of my favorite songs of all time. shit taste.

Soy: the band

>t. chief peep fan

what is all this stupid fucking "soyboy" bullshit. Is this what people replaced Nu-male with? Fucking stupid garbage like even if someone is on the softer side so fuckign what. If someone replies to me with
">t. soyboy" im gonna throw a fucking fit.

I will reinforce you.

I was in heaven when I saw Kids on Holiday live. When the holiday hit, I came.

>listening to that track this many times...

you might actually not even like music, do you have any other interests?

really subtle

>liking PW

You have to admit that Animal Collective literally personify soy though. I mean look at that pic. At least two of them look like they're about to keel over from lack of iron.

*makes another lil pump thread

i usually just get super burnt out on one band from listening to em non-stop. happened with death grips, radiohead, swans, bowie, and animal collective. i don't hate them, but i just would rather listen to new groups. currently digging the doors and the smiths

The release of Painting With didn't help either. And Avey Tare just seems so, I don't know, uncool these days.

Here Comes the Indian and Feels still hold up though.

They seem like such fragile people. I think their music lacked irony, that's why they've suffered so much in this decade.

Lamb of God was my favourite band throughout my mid-teens. Saw them live 3 times, always bought a tour tee, had all of their albums from Burn The Priest to Sacrament, and paid into their "Congregation" membership for a couple of years (the cost of membership was entirely justified by the shirt you got with it).

The main reason I started moving away from them was I needed music that encompassed more moods than simply an aggressive, cathartic releasing of hormonal teenage angst. I'd want to listen to music in the evening when I was too tired to listen to metal without my ears hurting, so I started to expand my musical taste all while still listening to LoG and before the last gig I went to see them play.

Within a month of the last time I saw them, I was already giving other artists a lot more time. Hell, the night after the gig I went to bed listening to Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (I'm not saying my taste was anywhere near patrician then, this was almost 8 years ago).

I think the last time I saw LoG, it was more for the live experience. It was a year after Wrath dropped and honestly the album just didn't grip me in the same way. So even though I remained a fan of them for over a year after then, I already knew I was moving on.

I've actually had the opposite happening lately with Pink Floyd. Played the fuck out of them ten years ago and had to stop listening to them completely because their music sounded like air to me. Just within the past six months everything they've done has started to sound brand new to me again. Feels good listening to Dark Side of the Moon start to finish and thoroughly enjoying it like I did back in '06-'07.

inb4 reddit spacing.

Visiting Friends is actually a good example of why I like them.

Insecurity was his main issue. He couldn't do anything without making fun of what he was doing. It only really worked on early Mothers records. After 1970 it became a major hindrance.

I reckon I could take them in a fight.

Their music was the only thing about them that wasn't lame, now that's lame too.

I understand why people don't like it, but I genuinely feel it's so unnecessarily hated. Floridada, The Burglers, On Delay are awesome. Bagels in Kiev and Golden Gal are nice. I also enjoy Vertical and Lying in the Grass is pretty good.

I'm 27, so I'm not that old...but I'm old enough to have been actively torrenting/downloading/consuming music for around 15 years. I will say that I can go 5-10 years without listening to an artist then just jump back in.
This happened recently with Saves the day for me. I guess my puss just spread out and i felt the emo.

I'm with you man. There are some real criticisms of both CHz and PW, but to me it's still very obvious that there's still talent there, they just need to get back to work. Not only are Avey and Panda an ocean apart, both of those projects were done in haste. CHz was written in like a month together, and PW was done in the studio after some emails, which is a far cry from touring and jamming together for years straight and spending like a year playing an album together before taking it to the studio. That Sung Tongs live show was fantastic, and it seems like they might be interested in getting back to their roots a little. Even Eucalyptus was filled with interesting ideas, even if it was sort of plagued by the usually underdevelopment of their solo projects at large. So basically I think the point at which whoever is on the album can spend a full year or two developing and recording it with patience, that's the point at which we'll see them fully realize the potential that they displayed in full on ST-MPP. Whether or not that ever comes, we'll see, but I do think it's possible.

Floridada is decent, Golden Gal should have been a few refrains shorter, and On Delay is the only genuinely great track. The rest are embarrassingly bad save for a few instrumental parts and Panda background melodies.

visiting friends is what they are missing in the new music more space

I'd say On Delay and the Burglars are the two songs on there that are good throughout. But yeah, Painting With was the first time I felt reluctant to tell people that Animal Collective were my favorite band because I didn't want people to look them up and think I like that shit. I'd be perfectly content with someone hearing Here Comes the Indian and thinking "what is this shit," but not Painting With.