Refusing to listen to hip-hop

>refusing to listen to hip-hop
literally why

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bULS7NE1wA4
youtu.be/_9L3j-lVLwk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm racist

>nigga this nigga that weed nigga hoes nigga police nigga nigga we is kings nigga
>trap beat
>sample of old jazz song looped
>fantano: strong 7
>pitchfork: 9.0

because it's universally unlistenable garbage and everytime someone has recommended "a classic, you gotta love this one, it'll prove good rap exists" it's trash

It's by and large garbage

>all hip-hop is just what i happen to have heard and since i didn't like the four albums i listened to it's all complete shit and is all the same

I don't "refuse" to listen to it, but I don't get the appeal.

Even the stuff that gets lauded as lyrically "brilliant" is still at the level of slam poetry. And whenever introspection in rap is praised, it's always at a very basic level. The same goes for political themes.

I'm not claiming I've heard all hip-hop, because sitting through even one album would be my own personal hell. Fuck that noise. I'm saying all hip-hop I've heard is trash, and hip-hop specifically recommended to me as good has been trash; so I'm not wasting any more of my time trying to find the mythical diamond in the shit.

it gets kinda repetitive.

Out of curiosity which hip hop have you listened to specifically?

>dismissing an entire genre in the first place
easy sign that you're a closed minded pleb

I find the vibe corny. I don't really ever feel like I want to score my life to the soundtrack of a party, or like I'm in a car going somewhere to score something with a bitch to my right whose been eyeing me like she wants a lick and I just want to bob my head to the bass that rattles the whole car. I don't ever feel like that. Hip-hop, unless it is really basic and like spoken-word almost, or depressive, genre-subversive in some way I just am immediately disinterested in it. Kanye's kind of an exception, but his megalomania and disenfranchisement appeals to me.

There is a more interesting history of rock and non-rap genres of music for me to explore, and perhaps hide within, so it's pretty easy to avoid hip-hop in most cases.

Why do you retort like a bitch? Hip hop made you this way.

Kanye, old eminem, and a bunch of shit I didn't even bother asking the name of but was told "this is the classic stuff doooood you gotta love it"; as well as whatever's on the radio (which I understand is always going to be shit)

>dismissing critisism because you disagree with it
easy sign that you're anti-intellectual

there was no criticism provided to that user wtf

Because hip hop is shit and it's only purpose is for wanton abuse of its minute redeemable qualities which are used in other genres.

I’ve always felt like hip hop doesn’t capitalize on its potential and is too lyrically driven

>old eminem
Christ no wonder you hate Hip Hop.

old eminem is the best eminem by far. though it depends on HOW old. SSEP-SSLP era would be best

>I like rap therefore other people shouldn't be able to not like it
kys you actual retarded person

Oh boy I can't wait to listen to some asshole drone on about how much he has money he has over the same boring ass beat that appears in literally every other hip hop song

Hip hop without lyrics is just rock or edm though, the genre is incredibly limited because it's built around a specific lyrical style

You are like replying to the wrong people or something

Rap is the same

>I can't wait to listen to some asshole drone on about how much he has money
Not every single Hip Hop song is about that but if you think that alright.

No I'm replying to you for thinking others are close minded for not liking the shitty genre you pretend to like for progressive points

>every hip-hop song is cash money hoes
when will this idiotic sterotype end

What rap doesn't fall into on of these categories?
>emo rap
>muh gats n bitches n monies
>general gloating / dickwaving
>diss tapes
>politics

I am not the user you think I am, idiot.

TIL every hip-hop song ever made was made in 2017 and they are all exactly like hip-hop songs on the radio in 2017

I need abrasive hip hop with more focus on the instrumentals and procuvtion than the vocals and I’ll probably like it

>music can't sing about feelings or politics
What's left to sing about then

Common - Be.
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
A good chunk of conscious rap.
J Cole (maybe)
Beastie Boys
De La Soul
Parts of "Because the Internet".
Digable Planets - Reachin' and Blowout Comb.

But you already proving my point seeing as four of those five sub genres YOU listed aren't "assholes bragging about money"

this

Del the Funky Homosapien

Also what are we classifying as "emo rap?" Is J Cole emo rap? His music is kind of somber. What about Drake and all of his shit about modern relationships?

>>trap beat
>>sample of old jazz song looped
have these two things ever happened at the same time

>music for lyricfags

I only listen to music that SOUNDS good.

I just hate the way rapping sounds
Most of the music I like doesn't have lyrics and when it does it's someone with a great singing voice
And I'm too white and autistic to lyrically relate to anything but post-punk and alt/indie rock

It's music that's all about the lyrics, and I don't relate to the rapers life and that's literally all the talk about. Give me a rap record about something that isn't politics/crime/im so sad/im so baller, and I will gladly listen.

It always struck me how smart people who listen to hip hop will say, "the violence, misogny, rapant consumerism and ignorant gangbanging culture are just an act bro, there's a difference between depicting street thug lifestyle and condoning it". But then they'll acknowledge that sincerity and "realness" are a big part of an MC's image, and that by glorifying ignorance they might be spreading it to people who can't tell the difference.

Doesn't that seem a bit irresponsible on the part of the rapper? People have such a cavalier way of dismissing any possible damage that hip hop does to our cultural attitudes.

yea but thats not saying much. edminen has been trash for a minute

Aesop Rock and cLOUDDEAD are the only hip-hop acts of any value whatsoever.

>not liking things i like
literally why

>complainng about misogyny
fuck off

>complaining about people complaining about misogyny

>complaining about people complaining about people complaining about misogyny

>he gets it

>again implying that all hip-hop is violent, misogynistic, consumerist, and exemplifies gangbanging culture

he never said all, user. it's certainly the vast vast vast majority of hip-hop that is like how the other user described.

People who unironically listen to hip-hop for “muh lyricism” are complete fucking brainlets who want to pretend they aren’t.

When they stop making every hip-hop song about cash money hoes

No, it doesn't. But stereotypes exist for a reason. Why would I waste my time exploring the genre further if there is a 5% chance I would come across of something that actually appeals to me? Like that guy from the other day from RYM who gave 1 star to 80% of the stuff he listened to. Life is too short for that, and there are countless other genres worth exploring.

>implying every hip-hop song is about cash money hoes
i can do this all day

It's a fairly boring and limited genre.

Its appeal is tied into sociological factors (white guilt, cult of black culture, a desire to appear edgy, a desire to feel sophisticated) which is not a reason for me to like something.

There are a few clever beat + musical combinations but there is no genre that has a poorer hit to miss ratio and so I generally skip it and assume the worst about people lauding it.

It won't, since hip hop shows no signs of evolving.

"Life is so easy. I got all these thangz."

"Life is so hard. I got nothing."

Those are the two theme. Throw some bad poetry on top of a Garageband beat and get famous amongst tasteless white drones.

>the appeal of hip-hop is tied into white guilt

>hip-hop is only about two subjects and absolutely nothing else

i give up, you people are completely deluded

Music by children, for children

Well the guy asked why. I find the music marginal, the culture repulsive, and a fair amount of contempt for the fans. That's why I don't listen to it. Bad feelings.

Racism.

I'm not being ironic. The arguments made against hiphop could be used against videogames yet most male adults our age love video games (violent, etc).
Anyone who makes claims like this
can straight up be ignored, because he doesn't give a fuck about the objective reality if the artistry involved in hip hop

these same fucks can be found in kpop threads.

how do you feel about:

video games are for manchildren too

what's your point?

what if i just hate the way rapping sounds

that sounds really unintelligent because there are so many approaches to rapping as there are to singing within convention and out of convention. That's like saying you don't like dogs for as dumb and perplexing a reason as "I can't stand how they look." It just doesn't really make any sense, to me at least.

What do you do for fun, sir?

>muh racism

I'm from a white European country, and if you replace the word "nigga" with another hoodrat term of endearment used over here, it's still the same music. Same repetitive and boring themes and corny lyrics 90% of the time. Not to mention the lame "culture" surrounding it, people who are part of it are either teens or complete tools (often both). No thanks.

I just don't get it
I can't tell what's good rap and what's not because none of it makes me feel anything, it's like noise

all music is like that until you find something you personally enjoy. It doesn't mean it's bad, it is just that you haven't found anything you like yet. Wouldn't suggest writing it off entirely, as that is pretty naive.

It normally lacks interesting instrumentation imo. I don’t like music that is too reliant on vocals.
Any hip hop reqs that fit me? Is there such thing as progressive instrumental hiphop

>hip hop has no melody, no tune
t. Never heard Young Thug

and never will

Literally anything you dumb poop
youtube.com/watch?v=bULS7NE1wA4

*flaming inc*
Have you ever heard Protest The Hero? Did you liked it?

its just a natural consequence of good taste

You can state these concepts in a more eloquent way than "i fugga bitch nigga pop the pussy nigga"

this
also this

I never liked all the hedonistic pleasure and faux-happiness of EDM when it was the zeitgeist, and I don't either for hip-hop.

youtu.be/_9L3j-lVLwk

I know this is a meme post but for real, the berating of people who don't like hip hop needs to end. There are all kinds of reasons someone might dislike it other than racism. I'm a huge hip hop head but come on, you're not helping anything by playing the race card. Obviously there's always gonna be a few actual racists who just hate blacks in general but still

>tl;dr shit hipsters recommend to their friends to get into hip hop
Very telling. Its pretty easy to see why this is an issue, listen to this classic by Macklemore :^)

This guy gets it.

They're okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to their music.

Because people dismiss the whole genre by listening to a few artists and not getting appeal. They also suggest every song is the same. For example, people will say that rock or any subgenre, especilly metal, is just loud fucking guitars with singers screaming everything out loud without making sense and its music only to party. It's the same with rap, as you can see the comments in this thread.

>implying it's about race
It's about culture. White rappers are just as disgusting.

Just listened to common be. Literally the first song is about fucking

Because I like other genres better

Nice job ignoring the other 10 songs and cherry picking the one about sex.

It takes zero talent to make rap.

>give a list of songs not about fucking
>first song is about fucking
>literally the top of the list
>>WOW user CHERRYPICK MUCH?
this is why rap is shit

So do it and get rich nigger

>Still blatantly ignoring the other 10 songs.
Yes. Cherry picking.

if you literally cannot go one song without fucking it up why would anyone give you the benefit of the doubt to try the others

It's a genre based on lyricism and the lyricism is 8 times out of 10 the same crude "nigga" shit and rapping about guns/drugs/hos/bravado/money. It's cliche but it's true. Rap about something else for chrissake or do it in a more poetic way and maybe I'll give it more of a spin.

I listen to hip hop, but I’m not white. Honestly, if you’re white and unironically listen to rap though, just lmao.

if rappers stopped saying nigga so much i'd listen more

Because a grand majority of the album is conscious hip hop.

Didn’t you literally just say “I listened to Common - Be”?
Or did you mean “I didn’t like the first track so I’m going to assume the other 9 are about the same thing.”

I just turned it on and listened for like 2 minutes. It just shows that you just can't avoid all of that ooga booga shit while listening to rap. Same as with anime. You can't avoid weaboo shit. Even in shows like dragon ball

conscious hip hop isn't even that good usually

it's a lot of "spiritual lyrical miracle individual"

Call me a dinosaur, call me whitey, call me what you will. Give me a nice good indie record any day over the latest Datpiff tape. I can't stand rap. When I was 15 I could groove to it after smoking some weed, but today no, absolutely not.